Making a call....on Oasis

Does anyone know when roaming/ship charges start? If you make a call from the ship prior to the ship leaving port are you still "in network" or do you have to start paying the "calling from the ship" rates. What about data? For instance if you wanted to take a picture after boarding on Oasis and send to family via email?

Does anyone know when roaming/ship charges start? If you make a call from the ship prior to the ship leaving port are you still "in network" or do you have to start paying the "calling from the ship" rates. What about data? For instance if you wanted to take a picture after boarding on Oasis and send to family via email?

Depending on your carrier, the network status should be displayed on your phone. I have AT&T and my phone says "AT&T Cellular at Sea" when it's on the ship's network.

I do not think the ship's cellular telephone service is supposed to be active when the ship is docked. I am not saying it has never happened, but I do not think it should happen. I have made calls from the deck of the docked ship and I have used 3G on my iPad without incurring extra charges. to save charges and or hassle, check your cell phone display to be sure you are on your network, not cellular at sea.

A good rule of thumb is if you see roaming, you are going to pay. It's the best idea to shut off data roaming on the phone, so u won't be surprised on tour phone bill. Once your on phone roaming at sea, sprint is $2.99 per minute. Verizon was 2.49 per minute.

3g data (roaming) on the iphone for verizon did not work on the ship, but it will work in Jamaica and Cozumel, if you are doing Western. There is a notch to shut of data roaming on the iphone. Your best bet its to have it set to off, this ensures that no data is being used while roaming. The phone side will still work to receive and make phone calls, and send and receive text, text is .50 to send and receive is .05. Jamaica I think was $1.99 per minute and Mexico was a lil less I think for phone calls.

This was as of this past week as I did get off saturday. On sprint these prices just went up, and if one goes up the others usually follow. grrr

Also noter we used a verizon iphone, this is a cdma phone and the data on the ship uses gsm. So only verizon world phones and the next version of the Verizon iphone will be able to use data on the ship.

3g data (roaming) on the iphone for verizon did not work on the ship, but it will work in Jamaica and Cozumel, if you are doing Western. There is a notch to shut of data roaming on the iphone. Your best bet its to have it set to off, this ensures that no data is being used while roaming. The phone side will still work to receive and make phone calls, and send and receive text, text is .50 to send and receive is .05. Jamaica I think was $1.99 per minute and Mexico was a lil less I think for phone calls.

This was as of this past week as I did get off saturday. On sprint these prices just went up, and if one goes up the others usually follow. grrr

Also noter we used a verizon iphone, this is a cdma phone and the data on the ship uses gsm. So only verizon world phones and the next version of the Verizon iphone will be able to use data on the ship.

We're doing Eastern. But I was hoping that St Thomas being a U.S Territory....that Verizon would allow us to talk for "free" there. But alas, they have changed their policy and it is now $2.49 per min for all three of our ports of call. Not that I plan on chit-chatting the day away, but in case of an emergency, I just want to make sure I know what to expect on the phone bill.

We're doing Eastern. But I was hoping that St Thomas being a U.S Territory....that Verizon would allow us to talk for "free" there. But alas, they have changed their policy and it is now $2.49 per min for all three of our ports of call. Not that I plan on chit-chatting the day away, but in case of an emergency, I just want to make sure I know what to expect on the phone bill.

$1.99/min per their website.

Archived