St Thomas or St Maarten?

scdreamer

We are considering Holland America for an eastern Caribbean cruise in December. There are two itineraries, the only difference being either the port of St Maarten or the port of St Thomas.

We have cruised before, but not to the Caribbean ... any thoughts on which port would be most fun? We are in our late 50s early 60s, and in great health, so active shore options are fine.

Also - haven't cruised on Holland before (we have been on Oceania, RCL, Celebrity and Norweigan) ... any suggestions for ship preference? We will be in a balcony cabin, but probably the lowest cost in that category.

Thanks!

We have been to St Thomas and St Maarten many, many times

We much prefer St Maarten - beaches are nicer -- shops in town are nicer.

Since HAL signed a contract to dock at Crown Bay in St Thomas rather than being at Havensight -- just another reason for us to book cruises that go to St Maarten. There is not that much at Crown Bay. And it is a good taxi ride to get over to Havensight to do some shopping. Down town od course is closer -- but again -- a taxi ride -- not safe to walk to town.

I'm not sure that you could go wrong either way. But if you like to snorkel, my advice would be the St Thomas cruise because from there it is a 30 or so minute boat ride to Trunk Bay on the island of St John -- a national park with truly extraordinary snorkeling (if the weather conditions are right) in a spectacular setting.

I would check the ships in port, if Oasis or Alure are in port going to St Thomas could be a major problem (5,000 passengers each). Both have good beaches, but over crowding would make my decision very easy.

Everyone needs to go to St. Thomas at least once. Check on cruisett.com to find out how many ships will be there. Overcrowding does make it unbearable. Magen's Bay is wonderful. But you can't go wrong if you go to St. Maarten.

We have been to both a few times. I love Magen's Bay in St. Thomas, but Orient Beach in St. Martin is like a piece of heaven. I vote for St. Martin. If beach isn't your thing, there's tons of things to do in St. Martin, especially on the French side. Great restaurants too.

We have been to St Thomas and St Maarten many, many times

We much prefer St Maarten - beaches are nicer -- shops in town are nicer.

Since HAL signed a contract to dock at Crown Bay in St Thomas rather than being at Havensight -- just another reason for us to book cruises that go to St Maarten. There is not that much at Crown Bay. And it is a good taxi ride to get over to Havensight to do some shopping. Down town od course is closer -- but again -- a taxi ride -- not safe to walk to town.

i agree completely.

if you do decide on st maarten, you'll have another decision: dutch side or french side. i prefer the dutch side because the people are nicer. the french side is well, french.

St.Martin. I'm surprised so many posters think Magen's Bay is a great Beach. I looks amazing from up in the hills but I thought it was ordinary. I had to laugh because one guy on my tour said that it looked better from above. I agree. I spent 16 days on a land vacation on St. Martin in 1994 but I would still rather do that over St.Thomas. I think Orient Beach is beautiful.

We did the Eastern route including St. Thomas two years in a row on the Eurodam. Awesome ship and awesome itinerary.

We have been to St. Maarten in the past and loved it. Next January we are doing the St. Maarten version of the cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

As far as I am concerned there are plusses and minuses for both ports. We love Megans Bay but Orient Beach is just as awesome. IMO the shopping is nicer in St. Maarten (We aren't big "bargain hunters" so I have no idea on the prices of one vs. the other but the shopping environment is better in Phillipsburg to us.

One other thing to consider is what you plan to do in San Juan, PR. As St. Thomas is just a hop, skip and a jump away from PR the Eurodam stays in San Juan later than teh Nieuw Amsterdam. So if you are looking to do any evening activities in San Juan you may want to go with the St. Thomas itinerary.

Either way, since you have never been to the Eastern Caribbean, I don't think you can go wrong.

St.Martin. I'm surprised so many posters think Magen's Bay is a great Beach. I looks amazing from up in the hills but I thought it was ordinary. I had to laugh because one guy on my tour said that it looked better from above. I agree. I spent 16 days on a land vacation on St. Martin in 1994 but I would still rather do that over St.Thomas. I think Orient Beach is beautiful.

Wow, my opinion is the complete opposite ... but to each his own.

One thing I'm not keen on at Orient Beach is the people who are nude because they always end up being the very same people who should be wearing the longest board shorts or the largest one-piece bathing suits available. :eek: Talk about scaring the horses...

Wow, my opinion is the complete opposite ... but to each his own.

One thing I'm not keen on at Orient Beach is the people who are nude because they always end up being the very same people who should be wearing the longest board shorts or the largest one-piece bathing suits available. :eek: Talk about scaring the horses...

I must have been at Orient Beach on a GOOD day :cool: !

I like both Islands but my favorite is Sapphire Beach Resort at St Thomas. Great beach & Great snorkeling (if not windy).

I vote for St. Maarten! You've got the French side and the Dutch side. It's like to different destinations and most of the time you can experience both sides. Of course, in St. Thomas you could go to St John easily. I agree to check to see how many ships will be in port at St. Thomas. If there are lots of ships, I would go to St. Maarten.

Been to St. Maarten twice and I would be happy to never stop there again! I thought Orient beach was crowded and there was nasty seaweed coming in on the day we were there. Don't care for the nude environment either. The traffic on the way to Orient was horrible. Second time just went into town on the ferry and I was not overwhelmed.

St. Thomas is a lovely island. I could go back again and again. You need to take a tour with one of the top operators (see St. Thomas boards) the first time there as they will take you around the island and show you the fabulous views. We love Sapphire Beach! Another plus to St. Thomas is your cell phone works there just like in the USA with no extra charges.

lovely beaches, good sight seeing, great shopping. Both get lots of ships every day. Magen's is lovely to view but not great for snorkling and the same could be said for Orient, not many fishes. The best food is in Marigot or Grand Case on St, Martin. We usually alternate every other year.

We also like both islands. Love to swim at Magen's Bay on St. T. Also, have never been bothered by vendors there. We were there in April and had plenty of space at Magen's even though there were TOO MANY ships in port and lots of people on the beach. We have also been swimming there when only a few ships were in. Perfect.

St. Maarten/St. Martin is a great port stop- however, Orient Beach was too rough for swimming when we were there 2 months ago. Not sure if this happens often. It is a beautiful beach, but too many vendors.

An interesting aspect of St. M. is the Dutch and French flavors.

St Thomas (Crown Bay)

Water Island (5 minute ferry ride) ---

Honeymooners Beach was the best day of my life.

The Gal at the Honeymoon Grill, was an amazing cook.

Perfect day.

Now, since we don't really shop, I never want to go to the crazy overcrowded Charlotte Amalie again.

Ever.

:)

Archived