getting Sweden currency

We will be spending 3 days in Stockholm prior to our Baltic cruise.

Where should we pick up Sweden currency?

We plan on using our Capital One credit card for most purchases, but would like to have some money for snacks and souvenirs.

Is it a good idea to purchase 72 hour Stockholm cards prior to leaving home? Is the card good for Arlanda Express? (airport to hotel)

Any advice for a first timer?

In Europe atms are everywhere. This will be the easiest and least expensive way to get currency. We've done it many times. Also make sure to let Capital ONe know you will be traveling and which countries. They are very good on card security, and you would not want fraud protection to freeze your card. We have capital one.

I agree with janina. I would use an ATM card to withdraw local currency after you arrive in Sweden.

Be sure for any ATM and any Credit Cards that you do notify the respective banks and you of your travel dates and places being visited. In the case of Capital One you can do this on line if you like or just call the number on the back of the card.

Keith

I agree with janina. I would use an ATM card to withdraw local currency after you arrive in Sweden.

Be sure for any ATM and any Credit Cards that you do notify the respective banks and you of your travel dates and places being visited. In the case of Capital One you can do this on line if you like or just call the number on the back of the card.

Keith

Yes - a local ATM is the way to go and YES, inform your card company when and where you will be travelling. They are getting very hot on tracking 'unusual' activity and often cancel the card before asking questions, especially if they can't contact you. I was once stranded in a far flung corner of Asia despite telling the card people I'd be there using the card. Luckily I had another card as emergency backup.

Is it a good idea to purchase 72 hour Stockholm cards prior to leaving home? Is the card good for Arlanda Express? (airport to hotel)

Any advice for a first timer?

The Stockholm Card does not include the Arlanda Express ... sorry.

Al

Thanks for all the advice.

Is it possible to put a $50 bill (US) in the ATM and get local currency or do you have to withdraw money from a bank account?

Al - Do you know how much it will cost to take the Arlanda Express from the airport to Central Station? Do we purchase tickets prior to boarding the train?

Thanks for all the advice.

Is it possible to put a $50 bill (US) in the ATM and get local currency or do you have to withdraw money from a bank account?

Al - Do you know how much it will cost to take the Arlanda Express from the airport to Central Station? Do we purchase tickets prior to boarding the train?

Arlanda Express runs a summer special starting June 18th, 2 adults for SEK 280. That's a bargain. No need to book ahead just show up and buy your ticket at the station, trains leave every 15 minutes or so.

You can't put any currency in an ATM and get an exchange. Credit cards or Debit cards only.

Al

Well worth getting the 72 hour card - so many places to use it. If you go to the Dome ride you need to book as we went thinking you could just turn up. Vasa museum is a must as is Skansen (very close together)

Use ATM for currency - if first one does not work try another - some don't.

You can order your Arlanda Express on line and you receive them within two days - the discount is worth it but times and dates are restricted.

Remember that you can get excellent lunches in many places for 10 SKR including a drink

Well worth getting the 72 hour card - so many places to use it. If you go to the Dome ride you need to book as we went thinking you could just turn up. Vasa museum is a must as is Skansen (very close together)

Use ATM for currency - if first one does not work try another - some don't.

You can order your Arlanda Express on line and you receive them within two days - the discount is worth it but times and dates are restricted.

Remember that you can get excellent lunches in many places for 10 SKR including a drink

Thanks! I'll look into getting Arlanda Express ticket and Stockholm cards online.

Can you list a few places to eat for reasonable price.

Looking for place to have breakfast near Sheraton Stockholm Hotel.

Lunch/dinner places near Vasa, Skansen, Gamla Stan

Thanks! I'll look into getting Arlanda Express ticket and Stockholm cards online.

Can you list a few places to eat for reasonable price.

Looking for place to have breakfast near Sheraton Stockholm Hotel.

Lunch/dinner places near Vasa, Skansen, Gamla Stan

Sounds like a great plan. I plan on doing the same.

Tips on places to eat would be appreciated.

I would love to know where these places are. :) I'm pretty sure you mean 100, huh?

Most restaurants have a lunch special, usually on a blackboard outside the restaurant. I would say the average price for the "Dagenslunch" is between 70-90 kronor.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I meant Skr100 which is about £10.

For lunch I would go into Gamla Stan (Old Town) and you will find lots of restaurants with brilliant lunch for around that price.

I dined in Kungholmen at night twice - once in a Lebanese and the next in a gay restaurant but cannot remember the names. I always use Time Out Guides as I think they are by far the best with Arthur Frommer almost as good. We were quite near the Sheraton and near Central Station. If you like American type food there is a good restaurant called Jensens Bofhus opposite. Pretty boring menu but my wife quite liked the place.

Personally I would have a nice meal at lunch and light meal in the evening as the price shoots up. Just watch the drinks prices.

We stayed at the hotel with the Ice Bar (Nordic Sea) which is just next to the Arlanda Express. It costs about £14 for admittance and one cocktail and about £9 for additional ones served in glasses made of ice. You are kitted out with thermals and the whole experience is a one off but worth it for the experience.

Archived