Jones Act/PVS worring me--tell me I am wrong.

Help! Here is what is worring me. We fly from Houston to Minneapolis and change planes then on to Vancouver. Flights were arranged through Princess. Flight is due to land at 1:18 with ship to depart at 4:30. I know Princess says it will transport you to the next port should their flights make you miss the ship BUT, doesn't this violate the PVS act as we would be skipping the foreigh port? All other ports are in Alaska.

If we do run into late flights, what should we do?

I read a post just yesterday from someone who ran into this very problem. Let me see if I can locate it. In a nutshell though, I remember that they were not able to join the ship at the next port because of this very problem, it wasn't allowed. Check back and I will edit this post and add the link to their story.

Found it, here you go: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1420855

A rhetorical question: if the OP did miss the flight, catch up with the ship at the next port, board the ship, paid the $300/pp fine for the PVSA violation, would insurance cover that? Or does the cruiseline refuse to board them even if they are willing to pay the fine? This isn't just a Princess problem, it affects all ships.

A rhetorical question: if the OP did miss the flight, catch up with the ship at the next port, board the ship, paid the $300/pp fine for the PVSA violation, would insurance cover that?

I am more curious if they would be allowed to board...... I have read several accounts through the years where they were not given the option to fly to the next port (even if willing to pay for their flights on their own).

I wonder if the $300 fine is used more for "emergencies - such as medical" when people can't comply with the law.

You are correct. This happened to us 2 weeks ago. We were scheduled to board ship in Vancouver but missed flight. We flew to Seattle to try and connect in Juneau. It was not allowed because of Jones Act and we were sent home. No future cruise credit was allowed by cruise line. We were told we should have purchased insurance.

I see Princess has covered their, ummmm let's just say 'bases' on this one.

Next Port Protection – We'll work with the airline to route you to the next appropriate port of call in the event of a flight delay or cancellation at no additional air cost to you.

That NEXT APPROPRIATE PORT allows them to bypass the next port option that would not be allowed by the PVSA laws.

Here is the info when clicking on the appropriate port link:

Passengers who book air travel through Princess Cruises will be automatically enrolled in the Princess next port protection program. If passengers miss or will miss their original port of embarkation due to airline delay or an airline service disruption, such as flight cancelation or flight re-routes, Princess will work with the airlines to find a reasonable alternative to provide flights to the next appropriate* port at no additional air cost to the passenger.

Factors taken into account in determining the appropriateness of a port of call include, but are not limited to:

•visas and other legal documentation that may be required

•application of the Passenger Services Act to the new itinerary

•airport/port infrastructure

•comparability of cost, flight connections, and travel time required (note, any refund due on the unused air ticket must be used to offset the cost of the new air ticket)

•where in the original itinerary this port is located

I see Princess has covered their, ummmm let's just say 'bases' on this one.

Next Port Protection – We'll work with the airline to route you to the next appropriate port of call in the event of a flight delay or cancellation at no additional air cost to you.

That NEXT APPROPRIATE PORT allows them to bypass the next port option that would not be allowed by the PVSA laws.

And on this itinerary - there is no additional ports that would be allowed.

This leads me to believe that you can not purposely violate the law (such as missing the ship and going to next port). The only way to violate the law would be in cases of medical emergency or the ship can't make it to an appropriate port due to violence, weather, etc...

This is why you should never fly the same day of a cruise. It is so much less stressful to fly the day before. With all the storms that we have been seeing, why take a chance flying in the same day of a cruise and have to worry about something like this?

This subject about the Jones Act has been a hot topic always but more so in the last couple of days due to some CCers missing their flights and ships.

This may seem like a dumb question, but does this act only concern American citizens? That is, are we Canadians exempt and Brits and Aussies as well?

anyone know? :confused:

This subject about the Jones Act has been a hot topic always but more so in the last couple of days due to some CCers missing their flights and ships.

This may seem like a dumb question, but does this act only concern American citizens? That is, are we Canadians exempt and Brits and Aussies as well?

anyone know? :confused:

It has nothing to do with nationality any more than a speeding ticket would. :( It's a US Act that applies to US borders and is managed by Homeland Security.

This is why you should never fly the same day of a cruise. It is so much less stressful to fly the day before. With all the storms that we have been seeing, why take a chance flying in the same day of a cruise and have to worry about something like this?

But, if you book the air through the cruiseline, which is the case in the OP, they always fly you in the day of the cruise. Sounds like the next port protection by Princess will cover them in case of a delayed flight. Oftentimes, people do not have the luxury of taking off an additional day to fly in early.

Help! Here is what is worring me. We fly from Houston to Minneapolis and change planes then on to Vancouver. Flights were arranged through Princess. Flight is due to land at 1:18 with ship to depart at 4:30. I know Princess says it will transport you to the next port should their flights make you miss the ship BUT, doesn't this violate the PVS act as we would be skipping the foreigh port? All other ports are in Alaska.

If we do run into late flights, what should we do?

This is really a crazy flight. Can you fly the day before? Once you land you have to go through Canadian immigration, wait for your luggage, get down to Canada Place, go through Security, go through US Immigration, go through Princess Check in. You're barely going to make it with your flight being on time.

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cruises Only. They contacted Princess and were told that Princess would transport us to Ketchikan if our flight was late. I still have my doubts. I hope we don't have to find out. I even asked about changing our flights and was told it would cost around $800. What a 50th anniversary this is turning out to be.

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with Cruises Only. They contacted Princess and were told that Princess would transport us to Ketchikan if our flight was late. I still have my doubts. I hope we don't have to find out. I even asked about changing our flights and was told it would cost around $800. What a 50th anniversary this is turning out to be.

Although this is what the TA told you, I really doubt that is going to happen. Princess CSR's are usually reading from a generic script.................and have little idea what is allowed and not allowed in circumstances like this one.

Then all you can do is to cross your fingers and hope. If your flight is delayed, or you miss the ship for any reason, you will miss your cruise. Sorry! :(

I would suggest getting that in writing from your Travel Agent! Many agents don't know or understand the Passenger Vessel Services Act and how it works. If they were to transport you to Ketchican (as said above I doubt they would), who would pay the $300 per person fine for the Ketchican to Anchorage/Whittier trip?

* Princess

* Insurance

* You?

If your itinerary was to return to Vancouver, Canada you would be OK (there's a great reason to make it a longer cruise!).

If your itinerary was to return to Vancouver, Canada you would be OK (there's a great reason to make it a longer cruise!).
This is another reason why many prefer the north-to-south route. Not only do you get the longer travel over with first but you don't have the PVSA issues.

If it was me and you are before date of final payment CANCEL, rebook getting your own air or having several flight itins acceptable if you want to book Princess Air. Also, talk to Supervisor at Princess to see if you can get a realistic flight schedule.Tell them you need to cancel if you cannot get new flites. (have suggestions ready) Just got off in Vancouver, flew out of Seattle. Heard cruisers stating Vancouver airport very hectic. There are NO exceptions for Jones Act.Controlled by customs, not cruise lines.

For us "Princess lawyers" this is matter is subject the PVSA, not the Jones Act...if anyone is rushing to read the act.;)

Secondly I just wrote down some times; if the OP's flight is one time it gets in at 1:18, clear Canadian customs and collect their luggage this takes about 30 mins at best...then they are a full 35 mins from YVR so if everything goes click click...then they are at Canada Place about 2:30 for a 4 pm departure which is about 30 mins to spare. I know that I wouldn't want the sweaty palms over this and would want Princess to be changing my flight...perferably to the day before.

As I said Princess arranged the flights. I wish now that I had not used them.

For us "Princess lawyers" this is matter is subject the PVSA, not the Jones Act...if anyone is rushing to read the act.;)

Secondly I just wrote down some times; if the OP's flight is one time it gets in at 1:18, clear Canadian customs and collect their luggage this takes about 30 mins at best...then they are a full 35 mins from YVR so if everything goes click click...then they are at Canada Place about 2:30 for a 4 pm departure which is about 30 mins to spare. I know that I wouldn't want the sweaty palms over this and would want Princess to be changing my flight...perferably to the day before.

I asked about that possibility and was told I would have to purchase new tickets for the day before costing us about $800 for the change.

There are two things missing here...or has a post been deleted? OP has not said whether this is a R/T Vancouver on one way Vancouver to Whittier. If she is R/T Vancouver, joining ship at next port would be permitted. EM

Archived