i dont want you to go with me

Shae Boogie

I don't know if this is posted somewhere but......Ok....has anyone ever had a group of people going on a cruise, but there is one person that wants to go but you REALLY DON'T want that person to go??? What do you tell that person without saying no..I'm blunt out with saying stuff but this situation I cant make up something. LOL!!! Please help

Hmmm, yeah that would be a hard one. Do you have to share a cabin? Would they be dependant on you or something? I would think aside from a husband's ex maybe, I couldn't really imagine who I wouldn't want to go on the same cruise as me. I really would think your not tied at the hip and you can plan all kinds of things to do while on and off the ship and dont have to spend your time with that person while on the same boat. I would proceed with my own vacation plans and not worry about what they are planning. On our last cruise there were 10 of us and we only met up 'planned' a few times other then some dinners and stuff. I know they were trying to reach us once and we had been on our balcony for so long we missed the phone calls and pounding on the door.(hahaha) I know thats not much help, dont let whoever it is impede on your fun though.

Can you give us a little bit more information about your relation to this person and why you don't want him/her to go? :)

That's tough, especially as there is a group of people already going. You can't lie to them, because they may be getting the truth from one of the others. Just be vague about everything. (Uh, details are at home/up in the air/still not concrete.)

We have loose plans with my in laws to do Alaska next year. I would not normally choose to travel with then but think a cruise is the best option. We can escape them when we want and there is no cell phone to try and find each other with!

Yep, been there done that. There is one couple that has joined us in the past. The H is fine but the W is interesting..............When we are large enough I am able to arrange for them not to be at my table. The only perk I take as planner of the group.:p

As a group the only activities planned are a group picture, ice cream social and dinner every night. Very easy to avoid.

MIL planned on a cruise, others joined them who were not invited, so MIL & FIL canceled.:D

@Tapi...its my sister n law, I don't like hanging out with her, I can't be my fun self, neither can my friends, she is like a party pooper lol. If I wasn't married to her husbands twin brother, lol she would definetly be a person I would NEVER hang out with.

@ ShelbyNTX...I wouldn't care because I do everything by myself, party, cruising,driving out of state u name it. I'm not scared to be alone and still have fun.

@Tapi...its my sister n law, I don't like hanging out with her, I can't be my fun self, neither can my friends, she is like a party pooper lol. If I wasn't married to her husbands twin brother, lol she would definetly be a person I would NEVER hang out with.

@ ShelbyNTX...I wouldn't care because I do everything by myself, party, cruising,driving out of state u name it. I'm not scared to be alone and still have fun.

Are they identical twins? Just curious. Does your DH like to spend time with his brother? If the answer is yes to either of those questions, I could see some potential problems.

Whatever the case may be, I'd go and have fun. It's your cruise too. If she doesn't like how you and your friends are acting, it's a big ship; she can go elsewhere. :p

I for sure dont think you should tell the person and make them feel bad. Surely you can get along with them and find things to do without hurting their feelings?

I dont see anythign to be gained by making someone feel bad ..especially if they wind up going on the cruise anyway. .. and especially if they are family you know you will see in the future.

Maybe she has a fun streak you just havent found .. and I know I always find plenty to do by myself. Family is tough. Keep the peace.

Like others said it is a big ship.

I am curious though about your statement "I can't be my fun self". If you are not yourself, who are you? Maybe if you are just you your SIL will see that it is okay to "be herself" in front of you and you both may find you really do like each other and could have alot of fun.

I have found that confrontation and conflict really do build relationships.

we had that situation with fil's brother and his wife. they are just pita's on land, and no way would we cruise with them.

so we just excluded ourselves from that group cruise. we didn't feel we needed to tell anyone why.

fil and his other brother and their wives came back and said "never again".

of course, we resisted the urge to say "told you so".

When you marry someone you marry their whole family, unless that person is estranged from them as well. You learn to tolerate them when in their presence, and maybe, over time, when you all mature some, you'll find them less unpleasant. It's likely she finds you unpleasant as well.

It's a big ship. There's lots you can do by yourself, or with those you like. And it's only for what..a week? Then you can go your separate ways the rest of the year.

If OP cannot be herself in front of her SIL, it seems that OP is the one with the problem, not the SIL.

What OP needs to do is what ever she would do if SIL was not there. IF SIL wants to join in, then she will, if she chooses not to join that is her loss.

so..this person you prefer not to hang with and yourself are married to twin brothers?

wow...that is a close relationship regardless of how much you try to avoid it....

IMHO..do what I did...stand on your own 2 feet...do what you want...and don't let her bother you one bit!!!

And that goes for cruising with her as well.....who cares if she and your DH's twin cruise in the same group with you...you won't be sharing cabins, will you?:D..of course not....and you know how to say no, right?

and most importantly....your DH is on your side, right? and equally important...you don't try to keep your DH from his twin, right?

just have an agreement with your DH that he will spend time with his twin as well as time with you while on this cruise.....and occasionally all 4 or more of you will spend some time together...like from 9 to 11pm.

we had that situation with fil's brother and his wife. they are just pita's on land, and no way would we cruise with them.

so we just excluded ourselves from that group cruise. we didn't feel we needed to tell anyone why.

fil and his other brother and their wives came back and said "never again".

of course, we resisted the urge to say "told you so".

well, I would have said it!!!

If this is her first cruise, give her a chance. Once she gets on the ship, she may surprise you! ;)

Otherwise, enjoy yourself! If you have a hard time doing that in her presence, order her a DOD and tell her to lighten up. :D

If this is her first cruise, give her a chance. Once she gets on the ship, she may surprise you! ;)

Otherwise, enjoy yourself! If you have a hard time doing that in her presence, order her a DOD and tell her to lighten up. :D

If you tell someone to lighten up, you are doing exactly what the OP doesnt want ...trying to change someone else's behavior.

The SIL is probably more than aware the OP dislikes being around her.

Archived