Barcelona transportation (airport to hotel)

basebare

I know people will say to research and search the forums, but before I get yelled at for that, I have looked;). My question is more for those who have done this. We are a party of 4 (pretty good at DIY) with one luggage a piece and perhaps a carryon or two between us. We arrive in BCN early morning the day before our July cruise. We have a reservation at a hotel near las ramblas but not in it. If we take the Aerobus, where will it drop us off? How do we know how close to our hotel it will be? Also, if we take the T10, that would be my same questions. Which station would we get off? Is a taxi the easiest way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Patti

AeroBus will cost a little over 20 EUR for the 4 of you and drop you off at Catalunya Square (top of the Ramblas). There are a couple earlier stops, but that's probably the one closest to your hotel.

A taxi will be about 10 EUR more than the AeroBus. I'm a huge DIY public transit guy, but this seems like a good taxi opportunity.

For the real cheapskate wanting to use a T10, here's info cut and pasted from TripAdvisor's forum:

The cheapest way into town is to catch the local RENFE Rodalies/Cercanias train line. Renfe 'Aeroport' station is 10 minutes by shuttle (free*) from Terminal 1 to T2 and a short walk from T2 B through an overhead walkway Trains run every 30 minutes. The fare one-way to the centre is 3,15 *€ - or you can buy and use a 10-journey travel card for 8.25* euros (T-10 : multipersonal, zone 1 = all Barcelona public transportation network) . The train takes about 25 minutes - however, delays may happen. Like in the Metro, there are stairs to navigate and pickpockets may appear on your way, so take the train if you don't have much luggage. Once in Barcelona it stops at Barcelona Sants Estaciò (the main station) and Barcelona Passeig de Gràcia (as central as it can be, leaves you right in front of the famous Casa Batllò -house by Gaudí). You can connect to Metro if you're going to other areas ( here TMB site and Metro map). For some suburban destinations outside Barcelona it may be better changing trains at El Prat de Llobregat (south), or continue to eg El Clot-Arago (to the north) . (Click here to see Rodalies trains website - network map, timetables etc.)

wcook, thank you for your prompt response. So after travelling all night and perhaps being a bit cranky :), I should convince my group that for a mere 10 Euros more, we can be dropped off right at our hotel without delay and figuring out how and where to get there? Perhaps we should save the Aerobus or even the T10 for the return home after our cruise and 3 days enjoying Barcelona? Sounds like a good plan to me. Sometimes I just need a little confirmation though :)

Patti

I know people will say to research and search the forums, but before I get yelled at for that, I have looked;). My question is more for those who have done this. We are a party of 4 (pretty good at DIY) with one luggage a piece and perhaps a carryon or two between us. We arrive in BCN early morning the day before our July cruise. We have a reservation at a hotel near las ramblas but not in it. If we take the Aerobus, where will it drop us off? How do we know how close to our hotel it will be? Also, if we take the T10, that would be my same questions. Which station would we get off? Is a taxi the easiest way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Patti

We reserved Barcelona Taxi for our group of 4, each with a large suitcase and carry-on. The total cost for our group plus luggage was 60 euros to go from the airport to our hotel in the Gothic area. After the long flight, it was nice to not stand in a line for a taxi (and you won't get 4 people plus luggage into a regular sized taxi), the driver was there waiting for us holding up a sign with our name. He drove a van to accomodate our group. I have no knowledge of the bus transportation you are asking about. All I know is that after an 11 hour flight, it was nice to take the taxi van.

I'm a big fan of the Aerobus, but with a group this size, depending on your hotel's proximity to P. Catalunya (the stop is right in front of El Corte Inglese department store), the return-on-investment may be better with a taxi. Depending on the hotel you have chosen, though, Aerobus may still be a great option for your group.

No need to reserve a taxi. We have never had to queue for longer than a few minutes, there are taxis of all sizes and should only cost you around 30 euros. The rank is on your left as you leave the arrivals area.

Make sure to have the name, address and telephone number of your hotel ready to hand to the taxi driver. Some drivers do not speak much English and all drivers are not familiar with every hotel.

Our driver was not familiar with the hotel where we were staying, but once I handed him the paper with the name and address, he drove right to it. Some drivers also have GPS and can program the name/address to help them locate the corrct place.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. Our hotel pre cruise is closer to the Gothic quarter, so the Aerobus might not be the best option. However post cruise, our hotel is right near Plaza Catalunya so maybe we will take the Aerobus back to the airport. I think after "talking it through" with you guys, taxi will be the way to go. I just can't imagine after flying all night having to figure our way through the streets with luggage. Just doesn't sound fun!

Patti

Patti

Patti, when we do this transfer we take a private car or a taxi, You can get a taxi van.

While there are other forms of transportation the reality is that you are all gong to be tired from the flights and potentially jet lagged and have valuables and other items to worry about. I think it is a lot easier and safer too just to take a taxi.

Keith

The bus will drop you off at El Corte Ingles at Plaza de Catalunya. (El Corte will be on your right, the square on your left when you are seated on the bus.)

• Get out of the bus, and walk a few steps southeast to get to the intersection at the east corner of P. Catalunya.
  • Then, cross the street and step onto the east corner of the square.
  • Walk toward the southwest for one block on the sidewalk along the square (you'll see Hard Rock Cafe on your left/opposite side of the street) until you reach Las Ramblas.
  • Cross Las Ramblas (McDonald's is on your left/opposite of the street) and now walk northwest on Carrer de Pelai staying on it for about 2 1/2 blocks. You'll see a string of businesses, places to eat and other hotels and in just a few minutes, you're there.
  • At forks or intersections, just remember to stay on the north side of the street and that your general direction of walking is away from the bus drop-off.

If you can walk about 3 blocks, it truly is an easy stroll.

Still undecided what transp. to take from the airport but I can understand some others feelings after a long flight and being tired. But if we were to take the aerobus, how close is the Hotel Jazz to the P. Cataluyna ?

Get off at the the Universtat stop and than it is about two blocks. We used it last year for three, the bus was pretty empty, lots of luggage storage, worked great, were were at Hotel Inglaterra right accross from the Jazz.

Kirk

Thanks to Tim and Kirk for the quick replies. Sounds easy at the hotel end as far as distance. How about at the airport, is it easy and quick to find the location where you need to catch the aerobus ?

Get off at the the Universtat stop and than it is about two blocks. We used it last year for three, the bus was pretty empty, lots of luggage storage, worked great, were were at Hotel Inglaterra right accross from the Jazz.

Kirk

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. Our hotel pre cruise is closer to the Gothic quarter, so the Aerobus might not be the best option. However post cruise, our hotel is right near Plaza Catalunya so maybe we will take the Aerobus back to the airport. I think after "talking it through" with you guys, taxi will be the way to go. I just can't imagine after flying all night having to figure our way through the streets with luggage. Just doesn't sound fun!

Patti

Depending on where in the Gothic Quarter it is, have a look at a map, there is a direct train from the airport to Barcelona Franca station, which may just be a short walk from your hotel.

Archived