All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I think Jimmy is the CD for a few more weeks. I know that Leigh (Activities Manager) is only on board for two more cruises, then he's off to vacation and then being sent to the Grandeur.

I vaguely remembering Jimmy saying something about going on vacation soon too. Maybe when Chris gets back from his vacation, Jimmy will go on his.

Both of them are great, and are very visible throughout the ship.

Darn it - about Leight leaving the Explorer. He is really great. We've actually had him as a CD (he was standing in for two weeks) on the Liberty.

What I heard was that Chris isn't returning to RC. This was from the CD thread.

How sensitive are you to movement? We were midship, deck 6 and even though the seas were VERY calm, we felt a lot of movement due to the wind. Our room seemed to have a vibration/movement to it the entire 9 nights. I'm pretty sensitive to movement and originally had booked a fwd room but was VERY happy I switched it given how much the boat moved all week.

There are both elevators and steps at both the aft and fwd part of the ship, but there will be a little bit of a walk to your room from the fwd elevators.

Thanks! We usually like to feel the movement of the ship, so I'm hoping that that would be one of the problems with that room location. I see that there are steps, but I wasn't sure about the elevators. By the diagram it's hard to tell distance from the room to elevators. I was concerned about the deck above, more so with noise at night.

I just checked for available cabins and seen that there's a fantail cabin on deck 6 open in E1, the cat. that we are booked in. I know that it was said that deck 6 balconies weren't all plexi-glass. Are the E1 fantail cabins larger then the E1 on the port or starboard side? What's the better choice: deck 10, D1 forward or deck 6, E1, fantail? Thanks, I really appreciate everyones knowlege of the EOS!

I just checked for available cabins and seen that there's a fantail cabin on deck 6 open in E1, the cat. that we are booked in. I know that it was said that deck 6 balconies weren't all plexi-glass. Are the E1 fantail cabins larger then the E1 on the port or starboard side? What's the better choice: deck 10, D1 forward or deck 6, E1, fantail? Thanks, I really appreciate everyones knowlege of the EOS!

I may be asking a stupid question here but what is a fantail?

Tim

I'm assuming the fantail is the aft. IMO the deck 6 aft cabins are even less desirable than the regular deck 6 balconies. You have to look at the pictures to understand why - they have a flat deck in front of them and the angle of the view is not so good.

How sensitive are you to movement? We were midship, deck 6 and even though the seas were VERY calm, we felt a lot of movement due to the wind. Our room seemed to have a vibration/movement to it the entire 9 nights. I'm pretty sensitive to movement and originally had booked a fwd room but was VERY happy I switched it given how much the boat moved all week.

In contrast we were on the same sailing -Deck 3 forward. Felt pretty much nothing for the whole week. They do say lower decks are better if you are prone to sea sickness. This was my first time on a low deck and I noticed the lack of movement to be honest.

Looking to book again in a balcony so we'll see how it is. I've had rough seas and done fine so not too much of a concern.

I'm assuming the fantail is the aft. IMO the deck 6 aft cabins are even less desirable than the regular deck 6 balconies. You have to look at the pictures to understand why - they have a flat deck in front of them and the angle of the view is not so good.

Yes, I'm referring to the aft cabins. Years back a cruise agent referred to them as the "fantail". Thanks for the info on deck 6. I think we'll stay away from them.

HB Cruiser

Aft, means towards the rear of the ship, as in after

Port is left

Starboard is right

Aft is the rear of the ship

bow is the front (or pointy-end) of the ship

Think I have this correct

Bon Voyage :)

If they are indeed meaning aft deck 6 balcony, I have never been in one but was on deck 7, but in my opinion, it would have to be the last available balcony for me to take. There is way too much of the "flat deck" between their balcony and the end of the ship. Any other balcony would be OK with me.

Tim

HB Cruiser

Aft' date=' means towards the rear of the ship, as in [b']aft[/b]er

Port is left

Starboard is right

Aft is the rear of the ship

bow is the front (or pointy-end) of the ship

Think I have this correct

Bon Voyage :)

Thanks for the explanation. I was aware of all those names but had never heard the term fantail used.

Tim

This July, on the 21st, shortly after I get married, my wife and I will be taking first cruise as a couple. I used to go out of NY on the Nordic Prince, and once out of FL on the Majesty of the seas, but.. well, it's been 18 years since my last cruise (or vacation for that matter).

Not only will it be a honeymoon cruise on the explorer, but also my future wife's bday smack in the middle of the tour. It's her first cruise ever, and I want her to get the most of it.

The only thing I can think of that we're kind of confused about is when to arrive at the pier in Bayonne, NJ. Some of you guys say 10:30 or 11AM. Some of you say Noon(ish). Some say go with your gut (more experienced cruisers go around noon or one pm).

Back when I used to leave out of NY City, we used to tip a porter we knew to get us on early to roam the ship waiting for our cabin to be ready prior to the muster drill. Arriving at 10:00AM was what we went with then. Should we do that for Bayonne?

Sorry if this has been answered, but we were on the Voyager several years ago and they had a free coffee/donuts/sanwiches on deck 5 which we just loved. I think it was Seatles Best. Is this available and free on Explorer? Thank you in advance.:)

Congratulations on your marriage and wife's birthday celebration. You must be excited to introduce her to the wonderful experience of a luxury sea cruise.

Bon Voyage!

Lol, I'm not sure where excited ends, and obsessed begins! Thank you for your kind and warm words. I just hope for the experience I remember growing up cruising year after year to rub off on her when she experiences her first cruise.

She's excited, but, she rarely visibly exudes excitement. I wonder if that will change when she sees just how big of a ship the Explorer is. I'm pretty sure the largest boat she's ever been on involved fishing and a river.

Thanks for this New Thread.

We were planning to park at the pier' date=' but 2 wks ago there WAS a problem with paint spraying onto park cars, resulting in damage. (read about this in the MEMBER REVIEWs). We have found an off site parking lot with RT shuttle service to the Explorer. Not going to take any chances.

Now, we are wondering about BED BUGS - anybody hear anything recent?

Saw a TV segment, this morning, and it got us to thinking about BED BUGS when it was stated that NY has the highest %.

WHERE do the DIAMONDS typically meet?[/quote']

I am also concerned about the painting issue. Where did you find to park if you don't me asking. We leave in two days. Thanks!!

W

I'm glad to see a new post for the Explorer. I stopped reading the old post because it just became too large. We just returned from the 5/26 Explorer cruise and the ship is still in great shape and the staff and crew can't be beat. We love the Explorer so much we're doing it again in December.

Edited by psupa

Can anyone recently off the Explorer tell me if they still have washclothes? I have been reading some threads that people have said their ship did not have washclothes.

Thanks

Just got off the Explorer on Saturday and yes we had washclothes.

Sorry if this has been answered, but we were on the Voyager several years ago and they had a free coffee/donuts/sanwiches on deck 5 which we just loved. I think it was Seatles Best. Is this available and free on Explorer? Thank you in advance.:)

Cafe Promenade has cookies, pastries, sandwiches and pizza available 24 hours a day on the Deck 5 Promenade (next to the Seattle's Best coffee shop/Ben & Jerry's).

Greg

I am also concerned about the painting issue. Where did you find to park if you don't me asking. We leave in two days. Thanks!!

W

We parked at the pier and had no issues. It was a slight concern of mine, but I knew if anything happened, the co. was willing to pay to have it fixed, which made parking there easier for me.

The only thing I can think of that we're kind of confused about is when to arrive at the pier in Bayonne, NJ. Some of you guys say 10:30 or 11AM. Some of you say Noon(ish). Some say go with your gut (more experienced cruisers go around noon or one pm).

Back when I used to leave out of NY City, we used to tip a porter we knew to get us on early to roam the ship waiting for our cabin to be ready prior to the muster drill. Arriving at 10:00AM was what we went with then. Should we do that for Bayonne?

You won't be allowed to board until all the previous cruises passengers have disembarked. This is typically around 11:30 - noonish. We arrived at the port around 12:15 and were able to walk right up to check-in and get on board without any waiting.

Typically I arrive a LOT earlier to other ports (10:30, 11 am) but was glad we waited for this one, since boarding didn't start until noon, which is later than I'm used to.

I would recommend not arriving before 11 am, since most cruisers aren't even off the boat yet and there will be a lot of congestion with dropping off luggage. If you do arrive before they start allowing boarding, there is space to sit and relax (and enjoy a cookie or two!).

The boarding time varies between 11:30 and 12:30 and the port congestion varies as well. I've always arrived between 10 and 10:30. This past Feb the port was still a mess. However, at the same time in Sept the port was completely deserted - all the previous passengers were gone and I couldn't even get a porter to take my luggage. The last few boardings have started around 11:30, but once it was as late as 12:30.

Hi everyone - leaving next month on the 9 night..

those who are just back is it true that their are the (2) formal nights and the rest casual - they took away the (2) smart casual?

Also, i love the pool and hear horror stories about getting a lounge - what time would i need to get by the pool to get a lounge in the sun?

And last - do they give u shampoo and conditioner?

Thank U