All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I just returned from the 9-night eastern Caribbean a week ago ...

One tip if you are going snorkeling... Bring a zip-lock baggie containing slices of orange with you. The fish love it when you break off pieces in the water and (depending on the type of fish) will swarm around you. During our St. Thomas snorkel, there were times it seemed I had more fish around me than water. I would just advise you to let go of the orange piece and not hold onto it when feeding the fish because their little teeth can be sharp - which I experienced first-hand.

(In case you have not seen the thousand threads about this)

For future reference:

What part of "Do Not Remove Food From the Ship" sign which is posted on the security stands as you are pinged off the ship is unclear to you?.

In every port there are restrictions on bringing fresh unpackaged food items from the ship. Great way to bring unwanted pests to the countries

we visit.

Take it from an unknowing past offender.

I know, it's your vacation.

Stepping down off soapbox now.

Edited by NordicPrince

My kids are 6 6 and 8. We will take them to the beach but we wanted to do the jet ski tour in port but of course if the kids are with us we cant. So if the kids club were safe and secure i might of left them there for that hour and a half or so. We probably wont. This trip was supposed to be for my wife and i since we dedicate 100% of our time to them and our 2 year old which will be with my mother. But i felt guilty going without them. Last year we did cancun twice once with and once without. Having 4 kids took a toll on our lives. Its just work and kids not much time for fun. Its been a tough 8 years. Wife already had a nervous breakdown 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear about your DW. I think a cruise would be a welcome break. We did the Bermuda Cruise April 2010 and left both our kids (5 and 8) in the kids club while we explored off the ship. The next day we took them with us on shore. The club is very well run and has a great staff so I would encourage you to leave them there as much as you can. I know some think this is wrong but my kids always have a ball and hate being dragged out. For the sake of a couple of hours the kids will be fine. Enjoy yourselves.

Bob

I know it's been asked already, but nobody seems to be posting their cruise compasses. I found one that's from 6/4/2011, which is a 5 day Bermuda cruise, but I haven't been able to find a recent one for a 9 day. If anyone knows where I could find one from the past couple of months, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

This is the 5 day from 6/4

http://www.*****.com/cruise-compasses/explorer-seas/2011-06-04t040000

I know it's been asked already, but nobody seems to be posting their cruise compasses. I found one that's from 6/4/2011, which is a 5 day Bermuda cruise, but I haven't been able to find a recent one for a 9 day. If anyone knows where I could find one from the past couple of months, I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance.

This is the 5 day from 6/4

http://www.*****.com/cruise-compasses/explorer-seas/2011-06-04t040000

has anyone seen a 10 nite one?

has anyone seen a 10 nite one?

the 10 nighters are newish, but let me see if i have 9 night ones anyplace...that way you could get an idea.....i may have scanned them into picasa or photobucket...i am trying to look, but my internet connection is kind of bad

https://picasaweb.google.com/mojitomeg/ExplorerOfTheSeasCompasses

try that for compasses....they're a year old ,but things really do not change all that much..at least you will get an idea

thanks for posting the link. I think I've seen these before. The only problem is they don't reflect the current 9 day itinerary.

Somebody out there has to have it.

thanks again..

Its the list of daily activities that are going on. You get the next days compass in your room the night before. It has the list of all the things going on, hours for bars, resturants and venues. Plus lots of other stuff!

Its the list of daily activities that are going on. You get the next days compass in your room the night before. It has the list of all the things going on, hours for bars, resturants and venues. Plus lots of other stuff!

I'm going on the 9 Night EoS at the end of July. I'll be sure to save/scan the compasses. I work for a major copier/printer/scanner/fax manufacturer, and we have some really nice equipment to scan documents and other things on. If no one has it up by then, I promise I will.

Just curious. I thought I read on here (or the old thread) that the Eco-Learning Station on Explorer of the Seas was no longer operational. I still see it on the deck plans. Is it still there or is there something else in its place?

can transportation passes for Bermuda buses and ferrys be gotten on board ship or must you wait to get off at dockyard?

thanks in advance.

In May, we were only able to get them once you got off the ship. The line will probably look long, but it goes quickly! Just remember to bring cash.

In May, we were only able to get them once you got off the ship. The line will probably look long, but it goes quickly! Just remember to bring cash.

thanks for the info. I thought I had seen somewhere where they could be gotten on board. Not a big deal.

By the way, enjoyed your review on the 9 day. My crew is departing this thursday and we're very excited.

thanks again

thanks for the info. I thought I had seen somewhere where they could be gotten on board. Not a big deal.

By the way, enjoyed your review on the 9 day. My crew is departing this thursday and we're very excited.

thanks again

Thank you!

If you are only planning on visiting one place during your day in Bermuda, you can buy tokens for that place (for example, we just visited Horseshoe) and you don't need to buy the 2 day pass. I think some people in line ahead of us assumed they could only buy the 2 day pass but that isn't the case.

Tell the person working at the booth where you want to go, and they will recommend what type of transportation you use.

Thank you!

If you are only planning on visiting one place during your day in Bermuda, you can buy tokens for that place (for example, we just visited Horseshoe) and you don't need to buy the 2 day pass. I think some people in line ahead of us assumed they could only buy the 2 day pass but that isn't the case.

Tell the person working at the booth where you want to go, and they will recommend what type of transportation you use.

we are going to Crystal Caves and then Horseshoe Bay.

Our plan right now is to get a one day pass and take the ferry to St. George at 10am. From there we will bus it to the caves. Depending on time, we will either bus or taxi to Horseshoe Bay and then bus it back to the pier.

Thanks again.

Edited by bkrickles1

we are going to Crystal Caves and then Horseshoe Bay.

Our plan right now is to get a one day pass and take the ferry to St. George at 10am. From there we will bus it to the caves. Depending on time, we will either bus or taxi to Horseshoe Bay and then bus it back to the pier.

Thanks again.

I just discovered that the ferry doesn't run to St. George on Saturday's. That changes a few things. We'd have to take ferry to Hamilton and then bus it to Crystal Caves.

I've got some research to do.

We are going on the Explorer next sept, LOVE this ship when we sailed her a few years back & are really looking forward to doing it again. Just a few of our favorite things were the ice rink & show, the pub & johnny rockets:D

Edited by cruisenanny

I just discovered that the ferry doesn't run to St. George on Saturday's. That changes a few things. We'd have to take ferry to Hamilton and then bus it to Crystal Caves.

I've got some research to do.

I believe 1 day passes are $ 12 for adults and $ 6 for children. 1 way tokens are $ 4 for adults, so if you do 3 or more 1 way trips on ferry or buses, you should get the passes. If you are at Bermuda for 1 day, going to the Caves and Horseshoe Bay may be difficult to make it back to the ship by 4:30 (is that the time you need to be back.) Take Ferry to Hamilton; walk to bus station about three blocks from waterfront where ferry drops you off; I thinks it either bus route 10 or 11 (not entirely sure) to the Caves; when finished at Caves, take same bus route back to Hamilton bus station; switch to bus route 7 at the bus station and take bus to Horseshoe Bay; and when finished at Horseshoe Bay, catch bus 7 in the same direction (outbound from Hamilton to Dockyards).

I believe 1 day passes are $ 12 for adults and $ 6 for children. 1 way tokens are $ 4 for adults, so if you do 3 or more 1 way trips on ferry or buses, you should get the passes. If you are at Bermuda for 1 day, going to the Caves and Horseshoe Bay may be difficult to make it back to the ship by 4:30 (is that the time you need to be back.) Take Ferry to Hamilton; walk to bus station about three blocks from waterfront where ferry drops you off; I thinks it either bus route 10 or 11 (not entirely sure) to the Caves; when finished at Caves, take same bus route back to Hamilton bus station; switch to bus route 7 at the bus station and take bus to Horseshoe Bay; and when finished at Horseshoe Bay, catch bus 7 in the same direction (outbound from Hamilton to Dockyards).

Personally, I'd like to skip the caves. It's starting to become a pita.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to get to the caves from the dockyard via taxi. If money is no object and I take taxis everywhere, could I leave the ship at 9 am, go to the caves, go to Horseshoe Bay and get back to the ship by 4:30 without blowing my brains out?

Personally, I'd like to skip the caves. It's starting to become a pita.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to get to the caves from the dockyard via taxi. If money is no object and I take taxis everywhere, could I leave the ship at 9 am, go to the caves, go to Horseshoe Bay and get back to the ship by 4:30 without blowing my brains out?

Personally, I would skip the caves. If you've seen one stalactite you've seen them all.

Horseshoe Bay is beautiful. Get there early, walk along the beach, explore the coves, swim, then rinse off and change and get back on the bus to the South Shore Swizzle Inn http://www.swizzleinn.com/ Get some Rum Swizzles and some fish sandwiches and nachos (drinking age is 18 and my son had his first legal drink here).

Go back to the ship and if there's time, walk around the dockyard, buy some rum cakes, and watch the glass blowing.

Going to the caves and Horseshoe is not a relaxing day.

Personally, I would skip the caves. If you've seen one stalactite you've seen them all.

Horseshoe Bay is beautiful. Get there early, walk along the beach, explore the coves, swim, then rinse off and change and get back on the bus to the South Shore Swizzle Inn http://www.swizzleinn.com/ Get some Rum Swizzles and some fish sandwiches and nachos (drinking age is 18 and my son had his first legal drink here).

Go back to the ship and if there's time, walk around the dockyard, buy some rum cakes, and watch the glass blowing.

Going to the caves and Horseshoe is not a relaxing day.

I'm going to look into this Swizzle Inn place.

On a different note..critique my Bermuda plans everyone. Opinions, advice, tips, suggestions, warnings.. are welcome.

Day- I went to Horseshoe Bay the last time I went to Bermuda but this time I'm looking at either Warwick bay or Elbow Bay. I want to do the beaches the first day in the morning until about 1pm. I'll consider this swizzle place for lunch. and then go stroll around Hamilton and take the Ferry back to the ship and be "home" in time for dinner. Or maybe have a quick dinner at the windjammer and see the dockyard show. I missed it last time.

Day 2 we have the swim with the dolphins from 2:30-3pm. So that is going to be the last thing we do and be back on the ship around 3:30pm. We can have a lazy morning and explore the dockyard. Before this want to see the rum cake factory, glass blowing thing, and I figure we would go to the frog and onion for lunch.

Edited by dajulieness