Solstice Live/First-Timer Reports/Pix’s: Italy/Croatian June 7-19

TLCOhio

We are on the balcony now at 6:35 am as the ship is docking in the port for Rome. It is super bright and sunny, even at this early hour, getting ready for what should be a wonderfully-beautiful day in one of the world’s most historic cities. We have previously visited Rome, in 1999, staying four days during a land trip. I was also here in December of 1970 for the wedding of friends. Fortunately, we have already seen most all of the “basics” here. That’s good news as for a first-timer to Rome, here on on a cruising stop and the distance from this port into the heart of large and confusing Rome make it impossible to see that much in a city with so many great sites and sights. We will take the ship’s rail option into Rome, getting off at the station near the Vatican.

Through a key Catholic leader in Central Ohio, we arranged in advance a private tour to the Vatican Necropolis, known as the*Scavi, under St. Peter’s Basilica. The Vatican-sponsored archeological excavations under Saint Peter's in the years 1940-1949 revealed the burial location of Peter and others dating to back*Imperial times. This historical-archaeological site allows only about*200*visitors per day in small groups of 10-15 people each. A late March History Channel special program focused on this "Secret Access: The Vatican" tour under the Vatican and how it dates back to the time of famed Emperor Constantine during the 4th Century.

At depths varying between 16 and 39 feet below the basilica, this secret work was undertaken at the request of*Pope Pius XI*who wished to be buried as close as possible to*Peter the Apostle. Peter is said to be buried there due to its proximity to the*Circus of Nero*where he was*martyred. Lots of early Church history down there based what I have seen and read. There has been a church on this site since the 4th century. Construction of the present basilica, over the old, original Constantinian basilica, began in 1506 and was completed in 1626. St. Peter's is famous as a place of pilgrimage, its liturgical functions and for its history. It is not only associated with the Pope, but with numerous artists, most significantly Michelangelo, who redesigned the dome in 1547. Michelangelo is noted for his work on the Sistine Chapel and the Pieta, a depiction of the body of Jesus on the lap of his mother Mary after the Crucifixion. That art piece inside St. Peter's was carved in 1499, when the sculptor was just 24-years-old. If you are visiting St. Peter's for the first time, it would be good to read up on this history and background to better appreciate ALL that it is there and around this famed location.

Lots more pictures to be coming from Rome and previous, earlier stop, plus on the ship.

THANKS for traveling along with us! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Wow Terry you've done it again! Amazing coverage from the Solstice. I thoroughly enjoyed your reports from the Cloud and due to your postings and photos, that voyage is now on my bucket list.

Thank you so much, it is wonderful to be travelling alongside you as your photos make me believe I'm there.

I nearly was taking your itinerary on Solstice and would have if we had to take our kids, but luckily we have managed to go solo on Silver Spirit instead.

We sail from Cannes to Rome in a few weeks and I'm super excited as a first time Silversea sailor.

We sailed on Solstice last July to E Caribbean. She is stunning and I'm sure you will have an amazing voyage. Prepare to be blown away by Murano.

Silk Harvest is amazing too.

I look forward to your updates. As you say "enjoy"

Regards,

Sakaara

It is a little after 6 am as the Solstice is preparing enter the port of Naples. We had a super great day in Rome, both for weather and what all we saw in this large and historic city.

Below are a few more pictures. I tried to upload lots more pictures, but there continues to be some technical issues with the wireless operations on this ship. Will try to get more of those solved in the coming days. We are doing a private tour for our group of eight through Romeinlimo. They worked very well for the Pisa-Lucca area and we are hoping for the same great experience here. We will be picked up from the port at 8 am. We are being driven to scenic Ravello overlooking the Mediterranean, seeing certain portions of Amalfi Coast drive, stopping in or around Sorrento for lunch, going at the historic area of Herculaneum, then back to Naples, with, time permitting, a brief sampling at the famed National Archaeological Museum there and seeing a little more of Naples as we go back to the ship. Previously when visiting this area for four days on a land trip, we had seen Positano, Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri, etc. Some rain is predicted today, but we will see if our “good weather luck” continues today.

Yesterday in Rome, we had in port the MSC Fantasia with 3,900 passengers and a crew of 1,300, the 208-passenger Seabourn Legend and the 1,918-passenger Holland America Noordam with a crew of 800. Since that Rome port is so big, it didn’t create any problems in that way. The Rome port, like near Pisa, is very industrial and super large, making some sort of shuttle very needed. In the Naples port with Solstice will be the Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam with 2,100 passengers and a crew of 929. No other cruise ships are scheduled at Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, etc.

To correct one earlier item, the Hotel Director is Susan Richardson, not Henderson. She has been with Celebrity for about two years. Her assistant is Thomas Brady from the Chicago area with his wife and family in the Napersville area there. Those top staffers work a four months on and two months off schedule. Both are very visible, approachable and active around the ship. Both very impressive as you talk with them!

Tomorrow is a sea day, allowing more time to catch-up, rest, do more pictures, solve the ship IT problem, etc.

Last night, we dine at the Silk Harvest speciality dining place. Really, super enjoyed that experience. Will have more details, pictures from there and the Tuscan Grille at a later time. Will do Murano on June 17 for our 39th wedding anniversary.

THANKS for the continued comments and interest in this posting! Don’t be shy. Let know any questions. Will try to say “HI” to that one staffer mentioned by Peter/Espirit. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peters and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting.:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

Inside St. Peters, this is a portion of the main floor where the body of the late Pope John Paul II has been moved. Just recently they completed this move as he moves towards Sainthood. Crowds were big and busy inside this huge Cathedral.:

RomePopeJPIINewSiteMainFloor.jpg

In the large square outside of St. Peters, they still have this large visual of John Paul II from the massive public ceremony in April that attracted more than a million people to this Square.:

RomeJPIIPixOutsidePlaza.jpg

When the sun was setting as the Solstice sailed from Rome to Venice, here was the visual on the back lawn on the ship’s top, back level. Dramatic and beautiful!!:

SolsticeSunsetBackLawn.jpg

Terry

When you touch land in Naples, how close are you to the ferry terminal? I was thinking of getting the hydrofoil to Sorrento on our day there in September, so am interested to know how far it is to the terminal.

Cheers

Mike

Hillsprint in N. Ireland: Terry' date=' When you touch land in Naples, how close are you to the ferry terminal? I was thinking of getting the hydrofoil to Sorrento on our day there in September, so am interested to know how far it is to the terminal. Cheers. Mike[/quote']

It’s 6:40 am and I’m on the back of the ship seeing a large volcano-type mountain peak in the distance. Around 4:30 am, the Solstice was to have passed through the Straights of Messina between Sicily and the Italian mainland. I did not get up to see that sighting at night, but woke up early and am now jotting some notes while on the back of the ship, enjoying the views, the sun, etc.

For the first time in seven days, the alarm clock was not set and there was no forced schedule of “go-go”. This is our first sea day and we really need this time to rest up, re-charge, relax, explore the ship, etc.

From yesterday, Saturday, July 11, the big news was . . . WOW!!, what a fabulous day. It was arriving in Naples and meeting our guide-driver from Romeinlimo, Carmine! Our group of eight experienced a totally wonderful day. First, it was driving through the mountains south of Naples that they call “the little Switzerland” as we moved towards Ravello. Carmine told us about his love of Naples and this whole area. There were great Italian songs on the CD as we went through the mountains. Carmine stopped for some fresh fruit and told us a few jokes, including what Italians view as what the letters in the name of their car company, FIAT, mean. He said that car name means “Fix It Again, Tony”. We were riding in a nice Mercedes van. Such fun and beauty to enjoy as we traveled and saw the many sights!

When in the Naples-Amalfi area in 1999, we had not seen this part of the region and it was wonderful. Ravello overlooks the Gulf of Salerno and the Mediterranean. We had a few drops of rain while in Ravello, but it all worked fine without any problems. Ravello is famed as a place where Wagner composed many music pieces, the famous lived and others visited. Then we went through several of the charming towns along this coast, including Atrani and Amalfi, traveling narrow, twisted routes with steep terraces above and below us. I was sure glad, my wife more so, that I didn’t have to do the driving. We wanted to have lunch in a smaller, less tourist place and Carmine came up with the perfect, super scenic location.

Pictures? Yes, there are plenty. Yesterday, I took over 500 pictures. But it takes time to go through all of those views. That will come later today. Our lunch location was right above Positano as the sun came out in full force to offer the best views one could ever hope for or seek. Lunch? What a super treat, family-style, plus views, wine, drinks, etc.!!! Lots of pictures from there. Then, we drove to the Bay of Naples side, through parts of Sorrento on the way to the historic area of Herculaneum. Our guide there was also named Carmine and he was wonderful in his details and background for this seaside resort dating back to the 4th century BC. The city was thought to have been founded by or named for the legendary Hercules. This elite Roman resort was devastated by the same volcanic eruption that buried Pompeii in 79 AD. Unlike the ash and lava that devastated Pompeii, Herculaneum was covered by a torrent of mud, which protected the ruins from atmospheric agents and illegal excavators. The site was discovered by accident in the early 1700's when a well was being dug and workmen struck a stone pavement, the stage of the city's theater. Serious excavations began under Mussolini but only about eight blocks have been excavated. The rest is covered not only by rock but also by a dense, modern neighborhood. Since we had earlier seen Pompeii, this was a nice, less crowded options. Which is better? There is more to see in Pompeii as it was a larger, more commercial city. When I post the pictures, you can better see the differences. On a typical day, Pompeii will have 12,000 visitors, while Herculaneum will have 800-1200 a day. We got some rain at the very end of our visit here, but it all worked out fine. Then back to Naples. We had planned, time permitting, a brief sampling at the famed National Archaeological Museum, but it was getting late and we had had a totally wonderful day seeing and do so much.

For the above question from our friend in Northern Ireland, the Naples’ port is so big and huge, I didn’t see where you get on the ferry to Capri or other locations. Naples is the second largest port in Italy and it is big, big. In fact, all three of these ports are so much more industrial than what many might expect. Don’t expect to just walk off of the ship and have it right there. That situation was also the case at the ports for Pisa and Rome. These are confusing areas where having those logistics taken care of makes it so much easier. I would suggest doing more research on those exact locations and distances. It might be possible, but these three ports are different than what some might expect. And, security has been tightened on all of of these ports since 9-11.

THANKS for those who have visited here! And, made many nice comments. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest about the ship or these areas we are visiting. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 43,421 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From St. Peter’s in Rome, this is the view of the heart of this great Basilica and its Magnificent Dome by Michelangelo.:

RomeStPetersMainDome.jpg

After our super historic private tour of the Scavi under the Basilica (where no pictures were allowed), we saw some of crypts and this chapel below the main area.:

RomeLowerChapelUnder.jpg

The art work in and around St. Peter’s is spectacular. Here might be the most famous, the Pieta by Michelangelo. I first saw this in 1970 here, but now it is protected behind a large glass surface. The detail and beauty are impossible to describe or show.:

RomeStPetersPieta.jpg

As we walked from St. Peter’s, we crossed the Tiberi River and saw this view of Castel Sant’Angelo. This castle has great history, starting as a mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian in 139 AD. It later provided security for Popes in times of attack.:

RomeTiberRiverBridgeCastle.jpg

Near Piazza Navona, here is a busy outdoor dining place with its pizza options displayed and people enjoying the day, location and fun of Rome.:

RomeOutdoorDiningPizza2a.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Here is a little more from Rome and a night view on the ship. Now to start looking at all of the pictures from the Amalfi Coast area, etc. Lots of exciting “work”.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The Pantheon was built between 118-125 AD and is so large and amazing in its size, construction and classic style. We had seen it before, but it is always amazing and impressive as you round the corner and “there it is!”.:

RomePanthonaFrontPlaza.jpg

Inside the Pantheon, this photo with my wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

As you walk out of the Pantheon, this is the view of plaza area in front of this famed part of Rome.:

RomePanthonOutside2.jpg

Piazza Navona was built above an ancient stadium with the great fountains by Bernini.:

RomePlazaNavonaFountain.jpg

On the Solstice, here is a view of the outdoor pools as the sun is setting.:

SolsticeOutdoorPoolNight.jpg

TLC~

After your first formal night, please report what type of dress you are seeing. One of my sons is planning on bringing a tux, I'm hoping he will see others on board next week. Ladies in short cocktail dresses??

Also wondering what my 16 year old can get away with on the casual nights in the MDR. If you see any young folk, I would appreciate any help! He does have a new suit for formal nights.

Thanks so much!

As this was first written, it is now late Sunday morning on the Solstice during our sea day. Had breakfast in the main dining room. Unfortunately, they were as “consistent” there in serving my eggs and hash browns “luke warm” to near cool as room service was for the first three days when dining through room service. Oh, well, we were sitting by the window, the staff service was very good and nice. I’ll keep trying to get a nicely warm breakfast later.

Had a nice walk around more of the ship, exploring the pool and top decks, enjoying the super sunny day. Not too hot, just wonderful.

Below are the first service of visuals from our spectacular Saturday, June 11, seeing the Amalfi Coast, etc. Still having some IT and upload problems from the ship, but trying to work through those issues.

As I am getting ready to post these pictures, we are on the top, front deck of the Solstice getting ready to enter the narrow passageway that leads to the fjord going to Kotor, Montenegro. It is sunrise time and it is super scenic, passing little fortress islands protecting the entrance to this historic town.

THANKS for those checking out these posting! We have more info later on the formal night question. We are now over 2,270 views. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Ravello overlooking the Gulf of Solerno, this is the town church tower with flowers in the foreground:

RavFlowersChurchTower.jpg

Ravello has many nice ceramics shops with locally-made pieces of many sizes. Here is the owner making a welcoming toast to come in and shop.:

RavCeramicsStoreOwner.jpg

From Ravello’s main square, here is the view to its neighboring village.:

RavTree2NeighboringVillage.jpg

Along the Amalfi coast, here is the luxury hotel where Hillary Clinton stayed as First Lady when visiting this scenic area.:

AmalfiHillaryLuxHotel.jpg

Along the Amalfi Coast, here’s a view with a special flowering plant in the foreground.:

AmalfiFlowersTallCoastal.jpg

Near the town of Amalfi on this coast, here is one of the “fjords” as they are called coming off of the water and allowing for a small beach and area to keep boats. Very scenic!!:

2AmalfiCoastalFjord.jpg

As we moved along the Amalfi Coast towards Positano, here is just a small sampling of the wonderful views and sights we enjoyed on Saturday, June 11. Carmine, our driver-guide from Romeinlimo, was super wonderful. Great views and experiences.

Here is the view of Positano from the east of this spectacular town stacked along the coast.:

PositanoNorthView.jpg

Overlooking Positano, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at the Elisir di Positano per La Caglioita. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

In the kitchen, this is our chef-owner in the area where our meal was prepared. Excellent setting, food and a less-touristy focus.:

PositanoDiningChefInKitchen.jpg

Near Positano, this is the super luxury hotel, its gardens and views where the rooms go for about $1200 a night. Costly, but million-dollar sights from each of the rooms.:

2PositanoHotelViewGardens.jpg

As the Solstice sailed from Naples, we passed scenic Capri island, former summer home for Roman Emperors. This is the sunset view of this island from the ship.:

SolsticeCapriSunset.jpg

We had visited Pompeii on our 1999 trip to the area and we wanted to sample Herculaneum on this second visit. Herculaneum was a nearby luxury resort town for the elite of the Roman empire. Pompeii would still probably be the first-choice as its variety and options are more there. Plus, bigger crowds. Herculaneum was nice option to do for our re-visit and it good to be able to see it without battling large numbers of other people. Lots of interesting history at this location.

We are getting ready to enter Herculaneum's main market area and this is part of the overall view for this section of the town.:

HerculMainPlazaEntering.jpg

For the baths at Herculaneum, this view shows the arched roof that managed to survive the fall-out and coverage by the volcano ash.:

HerculBathsInterior.jpg

This is part of the design for the floor of the bath house in Herculaneum. Under this floor, the Romans had heating ducts constructed as a part of the bathhouse design:

HerculBathFloor.jpg

This is the interior of the temple or religious area at Herculaneum used by local residents there.:

HerculRelTempeInterior.jpg

For one of the most elite homes in Herculaneum, this was the view from the dining area out towards their enclosed gardens that had an overlook of the coast at that time before the volcano eruption.:

HerculOutdoorGardenResidence.jpg

Wonderful, wonderful pictures and terrific commentary. I feel as if I am sailing along with you.

If you see Hylasgirl (Stephanie) and her mom, please say "hi" from Eileen in Vancouver.

Can you give me any more details about the "candlelight picnic on the lawn". That sounds so lovely.

We will be on the Solstice on July 13th and I can hardly wait!

Enjoying all of your comments and photos! glad you are having such a wonderful time! Have you had a chance to take a glance at the excursion page and let us know if the ship tour of Herculaneum is only offered at 1:30 pm, or is there a morning tour?

Thanks and enjoy!

I am so enjoying following along on this thread and your photos are just stunning; although we have been to some of these places, we have not been to Herculaneum and Ravello; I am ready to go now... wish we could. I am looking forward to "seeing" Montenegro through your comments and camera lens. Thank you again for taking the time to do this!