Royal threw away my cake

Just got back from our "Weddingmoon" cruise on the Oasis. The wedding itself was amazing. It felt a little short but we were also racing the clouds. It rained prior to getting to the beach and the sun managed to come out just long enough for the ceremony and pictures before it clouded over and began raining again. Paradise Pictures did some very nice shots and I can't wait to get them all back and print some out.

The cake that Janelle from Island Bliss Weddings ordered was beautiful. I had to tell my husband that the shells were edible chocolate. They looked so real. Because we were racing the pending rain, we only got a chance to feed each other a tiny piece of cake. They allowed us to take the cake back on the ship. But it was so humid, the buttercream frosting was melting and the fridge was way too small to put the cake in there.

We asked our stateroom attendant if they had any place that we could store the cake. He checked with room service and his supervisor and they said it would be no problem and to just let them know when we wanted to have it and they would deliver it to us. So we planned to have the cake on Friday. Our room attendant said it would be delivered by 6:30. By 7:00 after dinner, it wasn't there. We asked him if he could get it and he said yes. We went to the parade and came back at 8:00 and there was no cake. We finally found him and he brought his supervisor in to explain to us that the cake had been thrown away. I was completely devastated and of course bawled my eyes out. They offered us OBC for the cost of the cake but that doesn't cover what they did. They told us they have to throw out all the food before coming back to port. I don't know if I believe them or not. Regardless, had we known it needed to be eaten prior to Friday evening we would have asked for it earlier. The schedule is not something new to them and if there was a problem storing the cake it should have been communicated to us prior to offering to store it. I don't know if the cruise line even cares about what they did, but we've been emailing to let them know about the situation.

Never trust RCCL with your cake!

Sorry this happened to you.

If the buttercream was made with real butter it can spoil just as fast as whipped cream.

Food (except pre-packaged) is not allowed off the ship and they clear out/reaarange the fridges to make room for the new foodstuffs brought onboard. Most cruiselines will usually not put anything belonging to passengers into the fridges.

Most cruiselines will usually not put anything belonging to passengers into the fridges.

True, for health reasons, this isn't allowed, and I am very surprised they took your cake in the first place. They were not lying about having to discard the cake. I also am not sure the cake was even edible if the frosting was already melting.

It's too bad there was a miscommunication, but this stuff happens. I know you are disappointed, but put it in perspective with all the problems you will have in life. It's only a cake. They did what they could to make it better by offering an onboard credit.

Order a new cake for your anniversary next year. By that time, you will be able to laugh about this.

I'm sorry they threw your cake away. I would be upset too. Maybe you guys could order a tiny two person wedding cake from a local baker after explaining to them what happened. I'm sure they would love to do something special for you.

Archived