Allure of the Seas with Kids (June 2011)

Sorry for the delay...have been back at work... wish we were back on the ship...

DAYS at Sea....

We did not have much of a problem with people "reserving chairs" -- it would get crowded around mid-morning and the middle of the afternoon. They do a good job of scheduling events and shows so that they are capturing different types of interest and people in various areas of the ship. We never felt like there were 6,000 guests on board...

I bought the Royal Carribean Cooler (you get a free beer for every six or seven you buy). I just wanted the cooler mainly as a souvenier and to not have to make trips to the bar everytime. Cost varies depending on what you choose.. I think we got a mix of Red Stripe and Corona for something like $30-$35. And then filled in once more during the trip and ending up taking a few back to the cabin after leaving the pool-- so it was nice to have a beer before dinner while everyone else was getting ready.

I am not a big drinker but when I am on vacation I like to relax and, of course, I am not worried about driving! Another favorite of my wife (and Mine) were the frozen Mojitos-- this was the drink of the day one of the days and they were really good and refreshing.

We played bingo a few times and my daughter won-- so that is why we played again for the Snowball Jackpot (last bingo). Basically, to get an automated machine and some cards it runs about $50.00-- you can play for maybe half that or get the maximum package for around 80 bucks.

I think I have touched on a few of these before--- oh, well. We did the Festiva at the Cantina the first night on board (Sunday)...with the kids and it was a great way to start the week...

We ate mostly MDR for dinners... good service and food with the exception of our last night...where we were seated in a different section and the service was pretty lousy there and order mixed up, etc.

We hit the Park Cafe for breakfast on port days... and this worked out well. We usually got of the boat about 45 minutes to an hour after arrival in Labadee and Jamaica.

Other days we got room service for breakfast and that was very nice to simply have a cup of coffee on the balcony...kids had fruit plates, and we usually had some bacon and toast, etc. We could get ready at our own pace and not feel like we had to get seated, etc. We usually had something that we wanted to go try out or see.. and it is not my idea of a good time to feel rushed.

We had two lunches reservations-- one at Giovannis and the other at Izumi... both were very good. Giovanni's was delicious-- although we had to cut it a little short as we had something to head off to...

Izumi on Saturday (day at sea) and it was GREAT. Our kids love sushi, too. Nice atmosphere. We saw Ken Rush, our cruise director, there having lunch and he greeted us and the kids. You get some type of credit for the amount you are charged. I am not certain how it works..but I think that your have to pay 5 per person for reservation, and $3 of that goes to the sushi rolls--- they run about 6 bucks each.

We also noticed that right outside Izumi is the upper deck surrounding the pool--- this is the back edge of it and we were able to step out and get some great pictures... the water that day was almost purple...

Lobster night was on Thursday night for us and it was pretty good-- not the best in the world but they had to cook alot of it. Our daughter ordered off the adult menu the rest of the week... after two nights of kids menu. Both kids enjoyed the soups.

For breakfast on Saturday, we went to Johnny Rockets... this is great. It is well-prepared, large portions of short order type breakfast! We would highly recommend this if you are not on the run and get there close to when they open.

Our last day (Sunday)-- we had a little later time for disembarking since we were staying in FLA until Monday.. and with the kids they had the Karaoke place (Air--)open for those with kids to watch cartoons and had coffee and danishes--continental breakfast. If you have kids this is a better option IMO than going to the MDR or Theatre to wait your turn.

Lastly, we tended to graze during lunches and other times... with the both ourselves and the kids...if we got hungry we might go to the Wipeout Cafe and make some tacos, or grab a hotdog in the boardwalk area. And we did have Park Cafe for lunch as well-- and it was very good. After we returned to the boat from Falmouth.

I would have liked to tried the solarium eatery.. i think it was more of a healthy option place. And I wanted to go to vintages for the tapas which we never got around to doing.

We were always heading off to do something... even it is was to go lounge by the pool for a little bit. The kids did everything from flowriding, to ice skating (twice for my daughter), rock climbing, and every show we could.

We did it all. Almost, we did not play ping-pong-- although we waited the last evening for a chance b/c my daughter wanted too. Minuature gold was OK, and better at night when it was cooler and the lights from the boardwalk below were neat.

Highlights were OCEAN ARIA.. do not miss this one!

We also loved Chicago-- very good.

How to Train Your Dragon Ice Show and Ice Games were fun....

We also did the blacklight show for kids (on Saturday AM) in the Adventure Ocean area and it was good.

Move it, Move it parade was OK not spetacular.

Blue Planet was very solid and we really liked it.

On our sailing the headliner was Abbacadbra -- an ABBA impersonating band.. our ten year old daughter liked it. She knew the songs from the Mama Mia movie. Five year old feel asleep. Fun --Vegas, interactive-type show.

If you are up in the morning, and not ready to go out or waiting for everyone to get ready... definitely watch the morning show on the dedicated channel and look over the Compass and you can find something for everyone.

Our youngest (5 YO boy) enjoyed the Adventure Ocean and really liked going for at least a portion of the day on most at sea days... this gave us a little time to go to the solarium in the morning or the hot tub for grownups that extends out from the solarium...and to enjoy our favorite Frozen Mojitos.

A tip I picked up from these boards-- is to go that first night to the Adventure Ocean and have your kids sign-up and get familair with it... even if you end up not using it much or at all... this creates a better comfort with it. My daughter who went several times-- and then did not go much during the latter part of our sailing --would then run into kids that she had met, and this was even more true for our son who went more often-- he was always saying hello to a friend that he made.

The other thing that we missed that I wanted to do was the rising tide bar... They allow kids and we should have done that during one late afternoon... also, I understand that this is where you can get a book that gives you all kinds of interesting information (think scavenger hunt) about the ship.

The other thing that We always tried to do was find the Tiny Wonder installations...these were awesome!

cruisetrip885.jpg

cruisetrip614.jpg

We saw almost everything out here...

FYI--The movies that were to be shown often were not due to Hockey and NBA playoff games.... not a big deal...we had other plans (shows and dinner, etc) but another reason to keep up with the Compass and watch the RCL channel.

cruisetrip716.jpg

Have fun--- and to each their own.... the Allure provided our family with a wonderful vacation and one that we will treasure for our lives. We had time with one another, had time doing different things, and simply allowed ourselves to "check out" from our everyday world for the week.

If you go on a trip on this magnificent ship with the right attitude-- you will have a great time and love the memories that you create.

cruisetrip742.jpg

Hi;

I just loved your amazing review and pictures.

Thank you for sharing with us.

I just have 2 questions:

What are the Pandemonium coupons? What are they for?

And where do you sign up for the cupcakes class? Online or on board?

Thanks

Hi;

I just loved your amazing review and pictures.

Thank you for sharing with us.

I just have 2 questions:

What are the Pandemonium coupons? What are they for?

And where do you sign up for the cupcakes class? Online or on board?

Thanks

I'd love to know the answers to both of these questions too!

Thank you!

Thanks for much for the great review and wonderful pix.

We are going B2B but the kids only have 1 week off of school for Spring Break and my older DD will be in 8th grade. They made it CLEAR that if they miss school for any reason other then health, they will NOT allow any makeup and the kid will fail the tests they miss. UGH!!! :eek: Sometimes I hate this sort of heavy-handed approach as my DD gets straight A's and a vacation like this is so much more memorable than a week of school she may miss. :( But DH is adamant that they cannot come for 2 weeks.

Soooo, we are going for 2 weeks and they are joining us the 2nd week. Ah well. Still great for DH and I! Katherine

Leebob

Thanks for the review.

I especially enjoyed the focus on what a 10 year old experienced.

I have two questions

1) what can you tell me about the kids menu in the main dinning room. Did it ever change and what sort of things did it have.

2) My 11 year old is not a huge fan of the structured play with younger kids and would be happy to have 1 hour a day in the play area just playing video games, hanging out and giving his parents a short break. He would prefer to be with the 12 year olds but he will be 3.5 months short of 12 when we cruise. I assume RCCL does not allow kids to move up (if anybody has any knowledge of this please let me know so I can prep him). Long story short do the 11 year olds have access to any sort of video game system?

Thanks

Dan

We did the Move it, Move it Parade-- and found a place near the Rising Tides (floating) bar... close to the bottom of the steps going to deck five...fun time and entertaining. Not exactly the best spot...but the whole parade did go by.

Also, we did the kids cupcake decorating class this day. Kids loved it, had fun and got to have a treat, too. Yum. These cupcakes are really good. We went back later in the week to cash in one the Pandamonium coupon for another one. Five year old still has a way to go before opening his own bakery!

Before the class and after the parade-- my daughter and I did the rock climbing wall... it was cool. I recommend trying some of these things earlier in the week. There was not much of a line at the climbing wall on the Aft Port side early this afternoon.

Just curious... what is a Pandamonium coupon?

Just curious... what is a Pandamonium coupon?

did a web search and found this:

"Summer Pandamonium"

Guests sailing on the Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas

from June through August 2011 will have the unique opportunity

to see the 3-D animated film at sea while it is still in movie theaters across the globe.

Pandamonium

Includes the following (Valued at $200!):

• VIP seating at the movie
  • Free Pets at SeaSM Plush Pal (1 per stateroom)
  • Free Coca-Cola® Fountain Package (2 per stateroom)
  • Free cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard (2 per stateroom)
  • Free 8x10 photo with Po or other DreamWorks® characters
  • Exclusive Meet & Greet and photo opportunity

NOTE: Limited # available on each sailing….will sell out!

• Available on Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, and Liberty of the Seas (June, July and August departures). For Liberty of Seas only departure window is June 18th through August 27th departures.
  • Book by April 25- May 31st, 2011

and for those (including me) who were asking about the cupcake decorating -

Cupcake Decorating Classes

On Allure Of The Seas

Details

If you've ever wondered how our pastry chefs make all those scrumptious cupcakes, now is the time to stop wondering. Learn how to make a Cupcake Hamburger, or a fish or even a monkey! This delectable 30 minute class is held at the Cupcake Cupboard and conducted by our very own talented pastry chef.

Menu

The adorable 1940s style shop features fresh-baked gourmet cupcakes, with a new cupcake flavor showcased every day - including bubble gum, strawberry, red velvet, root beer and more. During your cupcake-design class, you?ll learn how to decorate these scrumptious treats and even learn how to make a cupcake hamburger!

Where You?ll Find it

The Cupcake Cupboard is located on Allure of the SeasSM and Oasis of the SeasSM in the Royal Promenade.

Dress Suggestion

The Cupcake Cupboard is always casual.

Reservations

Reservations are required and can be made pre-cruise through or on board in the Cupcake Cupboard.

Costs

A nominal fee of $22.00 USD applies for the adult decorating class. A nominal fee of $15.00 USD applies for the kids' decorating class.

They really do know how to handle the guest on this front. Whole thing tokk less than 15 minutes from dropping bags, getting photos, and heading up to our home for the week.

We got there around 11ish. My wife, 10 year old daughter and 5 year old son, and myself. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale Friday and Saturday (at the Courtyard FL Beach, good place with nice views).

Had a good few days there... if you are going to be there try the water taxi for a great way to see things and stop at different places, we also did the Museum of Science/Discovery at the river walk area from the water taxi. We had one good crew taht gave lots of neat insight into the houses there, etc.

But this is about the Allure...

LeeBob,

Thanks for the review. Did you take a cab to the Port or did the Courtyard take you?

Archived