Cruise Books

a1moty

Let's resurrect this old thread about fiction that involves or takes place on a cruise ship. :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1273730

Also, for people who like the show "Bones", Kathy Reichs books are excellent. She's the executive producer and the show is based on the character in her books. Similar books are available by Patricia Cornwell and my current favorite, Beverly Conner.

You can never go wrong with James Patterson. I especially liked the Women's Murder Club series and the nursery rhyme series. Stuart Woods ~"Under The Lake" and "Palindrome" were very good too!

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen. A husband throws his wife off a cruise ship. She lives and sets out for revenge.

Time is a river by mary alice monroe.

Anything by mary higgins clark- Lite read- mystery.

Janet Evanovich- Stephanie Plum series- very funny - easy to put down and pick up again.

• Currently reading the last book from the Friday Night Knitting Club Series by Kate Jacobs. (great books on female friendships)
  • Next on my list --> 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett (the movie trailer looked great)
  • Jodi Picoult's books - they're controversial and wonderful reads.
  • I totally agree with James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. (short chapters and fast-paced)

@dfg1027: I also enjoyed Water For Elephants--(and the movie was okay too.) I enjoyed the story so much that I also read MODUC a true story about 'the greatest elephant that ever lived'. It was an amazing story.

@mom2sz: The Help is great, I loved that one! And I, too, am looking forward to the movie.

I have Jodi Picoult"s "Sing Me Home" on my night stand waiting. I have heard good things about it, but I have never read any of her stuff.

@cruise girl forever: I didn't know that Carl Haissen wrote adult fiction...I have read HOOT and Flush, I work in an elementary school...I will have to give Skinny Dip a try.

@quercus alba: What is Life of Pi about?

@5326jan: I like James Patterson too!

@paul092907: Fall of Giants sounds good, you must be a real history buff!

Do you all read old fashion books or are you sold on electronic books?:D

I never thought I would like the electronic books...but after my husband bought me a kindle for my birthday, I am sold :) Once I got used to turning the pages hehe

Love the ease of just downloading a book and being able to read it immediately.

Of course I still enjoy browsing the book stores.

@cruise girl forever: I didn't know that Carl Haissen wrote adult fiction...I have read HOOT and Flush, I work in an elementary school...I will have to give Skinny Dip a try.

Also try Nature Girl. I think when you are finished you will be as amazed as I am that this author actually wrote children's books.:)

Also try Nature Girl. I think when you are finished you will be as amazed as I am that this author actually wrote children's books.:)

He also wrote "Native Tongue" and I think one called "Lucky You" or similar about a woman with a winning Lottery Ticket.

Here's a Link to all of his books. http://www.carlhiaasen.com/books.html

Hooked on my Kindle......

Loved "Water for Elephants"

Most James Patterson and have read all 10 of his "Women's Murder Club books .

Just started reading a series by Karin Slaughter (Grant County Series) and am hooked. I have to warn you that the stories are about a doctor who doubles as a county coroner and the stories can be quite graphic.

Any and all Mary Higgin's Clark books.

Also love playing games on my Kindle when I am not reading. I am addicted to Triple Town.

Favorite books about cruising:

"Cruise Confidential" by Brian David Bruns

"Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer Garin

What I'm reading now:

"A Clash of Kings" -- second book in the "Saga of Ice and Fire" series, by George RR Martin. Some of you may be familiar with the series' first book: "A Game of Thrones".

Hooked on my Kindle......

Loved "Water for Elephants"

Most James Patterson and have read all 10 of his "Women's Murder Club books .

Just started reading a series by Karin Slaughter (Grant County Series) and am hooked. I have to warn you that the stories are about a doctor who doubles as a county coroner and the stories can be quite graphic.

Any and all Mary Higgin's Clark books.

Also love playing games on my Kindle when I am not reading. I am addicted to Triple Town.

Thanks for the tip on Karin Slaughter. She's not one I'm familiar with, but I love forensic science books! Why are they all from Georgia though?:confused: Kathy Riechs and Beverly Connor stories are also from Georgia.

Have you read any good books lately?

It is time to start looking for my cruise books:

Read all three Stieg Larrson books (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, etc.). Except for the first 4-5 chapters in the first book (which did not relate to anything as far as I could tell) all 3 books were great.

I'm a fan of James Lee Burke's books particularly the Dave Robicheaux series.

I'm a fan of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series.

If you like the beach reading books then I highly recommend Emily Giffin.. I ran into borders the night before I was leaving for a cruise in panic because I didnt have any books to read.. The store was closing in 10 minutes and I asked the girl who works there to recommend an author who writes the *beach* reading books.. she said Oh Emily Giffin.. she said to read them in order as she wrote them.. First one being Something Borrowed.. she walked me over to them and handed it to me.. and suggested I also get her 2nd book Something Blue.. I wasnt going to buy 2 but she insisted I did.. she said Im not going to be able to put them down.. so I bought 2.. so when I got on the cruise I started reading her 1st book and I couldnt put it down.. I read both books that week... when I came back I went back to borders and thanked her and got her a little gift.. She is a great author!! Also another one is Jennifer Weiner! happy crusing and happy reading!!

• 5 months later...

The book is "Going All The Way". I guarantee you will laugh, and also discover some inside port information.

It covers two world cruises including what to do when your ship almost sinks,

Oh, I should tell you that I wrote it. Kindle $4.95

http://www.amazon.com/Going-All-The-Way-ebook/dp/B003XYE8YO/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324666833&sr=1-4

Thanks to all who have posted here. I'm am always looking for a new good read! My friend told me about Life of Pi (story about a boy and tiger stranded at sea) the other day and I completely forgot about it. She really enjoyed it. I went and placed a hold at the library for my Kindle.

Loved Water for Elephants.

Paul: I'll have to try the new Ken Follett book - loved the Pillars of the Earth, but haven't read the second yet.

Thanks 5236jan for bringing back that old list - I read most of those cruise books, but I think my fav was Deadly Silver Sea.

Jodi Picoult is on my todo list.

I still surprise myself with the Stephanie Plum novels and laugh out loud. I also admit to being a Sookie Stackhouse lover. Sometimes a little fluff is the spice of life!!:D

Archived