Getting a taxi from Vancouver Amtrak station

CanWeGoYet?

Looking into the possibility of a cruise out of Alaska, & I'm trying to research transport from Seattle.

Are taxis readily available to get you from the train station to one of the downtown area hotels? I'm not sure if I would be taking the early or late train from Seattle, I haven't bought train tickets yet. I have been trying to research & have found some comments about how the taxis tend to hang out at the airport. I don't know of any of the local hotels pick up from the train station. I'll appreciate any info or advice!

Looking into the possibility of a cruise out of Alaska, & I'm trying to research transport from Seattle.

Are taxis readily available to get you from the train station to one of the downtown area hotels? I'm not sure if I would be taking the early or late train from Seattle, I haven't bought train tickets yet. I have been trying to research & have found some comments about how the taxis tend to hang out at the airport. I don't know of any of the local hotels pick up from the train station. I'll appreciate any info or advice!

No hotels pick up at the train station (and it's technically a VIA rail station), but taxis are always there, about $10-12 into downtown. The other option is the $2.50 skytrain which is across the street, and pretty handy if your hotel is near a expo/millenium line station

Thanks so much for the quick replies ell52 & David. Now I just need to decide which train (early or late) & if the small upgrade to business class is worth it.

the upgrade is worth it going either way as you can preboard and also your the first to detrain so you go thru customs first in Vancouver. You get a $3 coupon for food so its really about a $15 splurge for fewer people in a car etc.

the upgrade is worth it going either way as you can preboard and also your the first to detrain so you go thru customs first in Vancouver. You get a $3 coupon for food so its really about a $15 splurge for fewer people in a car etc.
I agree. Do not hesitate for a moment to upgrade to Business Class. The Amtrak Cascades ROCKS! We just did it from Vancouver to Seattle after a cruise (took the early morning train) to catch a flight out of Seatac.

I agree. Do not hesitate for a moment to upgrade to Business Class. The Amtrak Cascades ROCKS! We just did it from Vancouver to Seattle after a cruise (took the early morning train) to catch a flight out of Seatac.

I am just wondering if you could elaborate a little more on this train.

We will be doing a B2B from Vancouver/Whittier/Vancouver next year and wondering if we would be better off flying to Seattle (we will fly from Boston) and taking the train to Vancouver to board the ship.

That, of course, brings up another question - would you fly to Seattle and stay there, or go right to Vancouver and stay there. Thanks:)

you could time it to arrive in daytime and take the evening train to Vancouver. On seattle tripadvisor.com forum on top right is info on getting from seatac to Amtrak and other options to get to Vancouver. Your airfare from Boston will be way less to Seattle than Vanc but you have to weigh the 'hassle' factor of changing cities etc. Alaska air does nonstop to Seattle from Boston as does Jet blue.

you could time it to arrive in daytime and take the evening train to Vancouver. On seattle tripadvisor.com forum on top right is info on getting from seatac to Amtrak and other options to get to Vancouver. Your airfare from Boston will be way less to Seattle than Vanc but you have to weigh the 'hassle' factor of changing cities etc. Alaska air does nonstop to Seattle from Boston as does Jet blue.

Taking the evening train, (will be very end of April) do you know how much we will be able to see? I am such a night owl that I'm sort of dreading having to be at the train station for the early morning train. But we'll do it if we'll miss the scenery otherwise - I figure it will be dark by 8:30 or so, maybe earlier.

Thank you. Will check out trip advisor. The "hassle" factor will certainly be a factor. :)

I think you will see quite a bit. Its water all the way out of Seattle to Everett then goes inland. I think the part in daylight will still be quite good and sunset at 8-8:30 sounds about right. I'd rather be moving than sitting waiting for the morning train.

I may have missed this...but I'm doing the opposite. We are leaving on the Amtrak on the evening train from Vancouver into Seattle. (I have the flight booked out of Seattle, but have not booked the train yet)

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help with :)

1. Where is the Amtrak station in Vancouver? Is it "close" to downtown/Stanley Park, etc?

2. Any suggestions for what to do with our luggage when we disembark in the morning and don't leave on the train until after 5:00pm?

3. Do we go through customs when boarding the train in Vancouver? Or at some stop along the way?

4. What is the best way for transportation for 2 from the train station in Seattle to the Seattle Airport? We arrive around 10:00pm and have a midnight flight.

Thanks for any assistance!

Amtrak uses the Pacific Central Station which is just east of the downtown core and is <$10 cab fare from downtown whereas Stanley Park is west of downtown. Your options for luggage include using the luggage service at Canada Place or going to a hotel and giving a bellman a nice tip to put your luggage in their lock up. You will clear US customs at Pacific Central Station. Sorry, can't help you with the Seattle end of things.

http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/

I may have missed this...but I'm doing the opposite. We are leaving on the Amtrak on the evening train from Vancouver into Seattle. (I have the flight booked out of Seattle, but have not booked the train yet)

1. Where is the Amtrak station in Vancouver? Is it "close" to downtown/Stanley Park, etc?

2. Any suggestions for what to do with our luggage when we disembark in the morning and don't leave on the train until after 5:00pm?

3. Do we go through customs when boarding the train in Vancouver? Or at some stop along the way?

4. What is the best way for transportation for 2 from the train station in Seattle to the Seattle Airport? We arrive around 10:00pm and have a midnight flight.

You go through US Immigration at the Vancouver station before boarding the southbound train. However, the train also stops at the border at Blaine, WA where Customs inspectors board and inspect the train. The train sits at Blaine until the Customs is done with it.

You can take the light rail from the International District station across 4th Ave S from Seattle's King Street Station right to SeaTac. However, given the fact you have a midnight flight, I'd catch a cab.

You do know you are pushing it. The airport is about 25 minutes from the train station and the southbound train often is a bit late (10 - 20 minutes) because of the customs stop in Blaine. I wouldn't count on arriving at SeaTac until about 11.

1. Map of downtown showing cruise terminal, train station and major subway lines: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.281384,-123.103223&spn=0.020941,0.04622
  2. Storage is available at Canada Place. http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/services-cruiseterminalbaggagestorageservice
  3. You pre-clear immigration in Vancouver, but the train stops briefly at the border.
  4. I'll leave this to the Seattlites to answer better

since Amtrak has your passport info before you get on and you've gone thru immigration in Vancouver the on board inspection goes really fast. They just walk thru and collect your declaration forms.

In Seattle Cabs are a flat rate of $32 to the airport from the downtown zone which Amtrak is in. There are some illegal towncar guys trying to grab your luggage. They may or may not be legit but be leery as they are not supposed to solicit. Cabs sit in a line so no worries. Given your time constraints I'd take the cab.

Archived