Has anyone done the RC excursion in curaçao....

Blue Curacao And Seaquarium Adventure . It looks interesting but I have a few questions. When you go to the seaquarium how long are you there? Are you left to roam free and explore the exhibits, ie pet the sharks as you want? Is transportation back to the ship included?

If We want to see the blue curaçao liquor factory can we do it on our own or is it best to go on a tour (especially for our first cruise).

Thanks for any feedback!

Andrea

We went to the aquarium but not through the ship. It was an easy cab ride/public bus trip. It was about half the price booking separately from the ship for the same experience! We took a cab there but the bus back- the stop was right outside the entrance.

We haven't been to the curacao factory but it is in the middle of nowhere and probably easiest to reach on on a tour. Again, if you don't book with the ship, there will be dozens of drivers offering tours at the pier, some as cheap as $15 pp! You could probably negotiate a good deal just to go to the factory.

Hope that helps!

I am hoping that you will get an answer. DD and I are thinking of doing that in September simply because I've seen parts of the Aquarium from the sea (going to a beach break) and it looks like a fun place. Neither one of us drink, so we both think that the Blue Curacao factory and the aquarium are a strange combo, but what the heck!

P.S. Just saw the new post about the cab ride to the Aquarium. Do you remember how much? Since the first stop is not up our alley, that might be the way for us to go.

I am hoping that you will get an answer. DD and I are thinking of doing that in September simply because I've seen parts of the Aquarium from the sea (going to a beach break) and it looks like a fun place. Neither one of us drink, so we both think that the Blue Curacao factory and the aquarium are a strange combo, but what the heck!

P.S. Just saw the new post about the cab ride to the Aquarium. Do you remember how much? Since the first stop is not up our alley, that might be the way for us to go.

It was several years ago but I think it was $15. The bus was maybe $2? If you want to do any of the animal encounters, make sure to book in advance as the cruise ship people will take up many of the spots.

Thanks for the info! I am a bit nervous about setting out on my own since this will be my first cruise! I really wanted to see the liqour factory so the aquarium is just a bonus. I am a dolphin and other fishy fanatic so I really don't mind. I was just confused by the description and I am not sure what the aquarium offers. Do you walk around? I beleive there is a beach. I have also seen stuff on the aquarium website that there is petting sharks and sting rays, again up my alley. The description does say 3 or so hours so do you have to heave or can you stay longer and find your own way back?

Hi Vicki we are on the same cruise:)

Thanks for any help!

Andrea

There are a variety of activities- you can swim with dolphins or interact with sea lions. We snorkelled in a tank with sting rays, etc. and had glass walls with feeding holes- there were sharks on one side and snapping turtles on the other. There are also exhibits that you can look at, as well as a beach: http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com/en/index.html

If you want to go to the factory, I would pick one of the cheap tours at the pier. How much time are you in port? We have only taken a ship's excursion once, when the time was going to be really tight. You also might want to check out the Curacao board.

This tour company (can't recommend it, haven't tried them) has a tour that includes the factory and the Aquarium Beach for $20: http://www.irietours.com/tours.php

Cheers,

We did the factory tour as part of another overall tour...did not see the aquarium though. I'd say touring the booze factory is best as part of the group...although it may be far less impressive than you would expect.

We did the Blue Curacao factory tour and I have to be honest that it was a complete bust. All we were able to do is walk into one tasting room where you were handed a small sample of each of about 5 flavors. The only thought that it was a factory was pictures on the wall. You then walked past a small bar where you could purchase the various flavors of Curacao Liquor. Very disappointing.

Archived