What I wish I had known before the big day - advice from past brides

I LOVED every word of this, AND you are so right!!! Its NOT a show,and the most important thing is you TWO & Yalls LOVE :)

Thanks so much for this post , and Congrats :D

HI Ladies :)

I wish all of you the very best in the planning stages! I am a newlywed mysef, and although I did not get married on a cruise, I did learn a bunch from planning our wedding this past October. We are leaving next week for our honeymoon cruise :) Can't wait!

I was happy with how everything turned out, but I wish I had stressed less about the small stuff.

Every bride has a few things that are most important to them, the dress/veil, the flowers, the color scheme, whatever it is. Pick a few things that really matter to YOU, and set those things first. The rest will fall into place.

Make your wedding a celebration, not a show. Have those who mean the most to you there, and dont' apoligize for setting a healthy limit.

Highlight was is most important to you as a couple. For us, it was a love or our family, our dogs, and the location that we were married. And it showed.

Most imporantly, it does not matter if you are not a size 2. This was my biggest mistake! I am a size 12, and I felt like the most beautiful person in the world on my wedding day. Find the dress that is right for you.

At the end of the day, it didn't matter that the sun didn't come out for my outdoor wedding, or that the wind blew the curl out of my hair before we made it to the reception. What mattered? My Dad walked me down the isle (a cancer survivor), and waiting at the end of the isle was my best friend. We were surrounded by people who truly matter, in a location that we love.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I truely hope that each of your wedding days turns out to be as imperfect and magical as it should be!

• 3 weeks later...

I L-O-V-E this thread!! It is sooooo helpful! I printed out the entire thread! Keep it coming ladies! Thank thank you THANK YOU!!

There are so many things I wish I had known or thought of before the wedding happened. The wedding was great but I am so organized that a few things never occurred to me to be prepared for. Any other brides have similar moments? Here were mine...

- I wish I had shared the bridal party entrance with my bridal party... I had a print out for the coordinator, but when it came to the moment. No one knew where they should go, particularly our parents who we had to grab from inside the club.

- I wish I had figured out who was taking the luggage and who was going in who's car. I figured it'd be so easy to figure out when we were ready but it got confusing for everyone.

- I wish I had made someone in charge of handing out corsages. But no one was familiar with everyone getting one so I had to run around trying to find mothers, grandmothers, and stepmothers.

- I wish I had made someone in charge of gifts/cards earlier. I kind of just started to hand my dad everything.

- I wish I had designated someone to take everything back with them like left over favors, "guest book", etc. I thought I had lost these things, but apparently my dad saw it and picked it up for me!

We took pieces of wisdom and advice from the boards and tried to use it to plan, organize and strategize ahead of time. Everything worked out for the most part, except the clean-up. We knew ahead of time we were going to miss the end of the reception because of pictures, so we should have assigned people [bridal party] to take care of certain things because most of them disappeared and left my Mom to deal with it all.

• 1 month later...

IT'S APRIL,

SO I HADDDDDDDD to bring this one back to life.. We have had a Couple of Weddings since then.. And Even some Past Brides that may have thought of something else to help us.. Advice or what U WISH U would had none B 4 UR Cruise Ship Wedding

LOVE this THREAD:D;)

IT'S APRIL,

SO I HADDDDDDDD to bring this one back to life.. We have had a Couple of Weddings since then.. And Even some Past Brides that may have thought of something else to help us.. Advice or what U WISH U would had none B 4 UR Cruise Ship Wedding

LOVE this THREAD:D;)

I'm getting close!! Leaving in less than two weeks now, so hopefully I'll remember to report back on my return!!

Please dont forget us.. I have U on the List.. It's getting Closer... Wooo WOO are U almost ready?

I'm getting close!! Leaving in less than two weeks now, so hopefully I'll remember to report back on my return!!

• 2 weeks later...
Please dont forget us.. I have U on the List.. It's getting Closer... Wooo WOO are U almost ready?

Oh my gosh, I'm SOO ready to leave!!! Saturday morning, bright and early!! Hope the flights don't get delayed with the FAA furloughs! :eek:

Things I wish I had done

1. Shot list for the photographer, we suggested a group photo, but guests had left before we could get one at the reception. We had 41 people so we have group shots of each family and then friends, but we wanted one with all of them.

2. Had somebody waiting with me in the room during the rehersal (it was painful by myself)

3. Budgeted more money for the photographs which turned out excellent

4. Had somebody tell the DJ to check the form that we wanted people to join us, since we aren't dancers and 3 minutes into the song it was getting painful for us

Things I'm glad I did

1. Deck plan with room list for all of the sailing guests

2. TWE coordinator suggested I have somebody in charge of picking up everything after the reception, I gave her a room key so she left everything in our room

3. Give out favors to sailing guests at the hotel the night before, and then assigned somebody to give out the favors to the non sailing guests

4. Designated food allergies on the form. Carnival was wonderful with our assorted food allegies

5. Allowed the DJ to change up our music list since he got all of us out on the dance floor

6. Photo mat instead of guest book for everybody to sign. It turned out wonderful

7. Get my makeup and hair professionally done, it looks awesome in the pictures. Also allowed her to do what she felt was best

Things I wish I had done

1. Shot list for the photographer, we suggested a group photo, but guests had left before we could get one at the reception. We had 41 people so we have group shots of each family and then friends, but we wanted one with all of them.

2. Had somebody waiting with me in the room during the rehersal (it was painful by myself)

3. Budgeted more money for the photographs which turned out excellent

4. Had somebody tell the DJ to check the form that we wanted people to join us, since we aren't dancers and 3 minutes into the song it was getting painful for us

I did get a group photo with everyone (we only had 23 I think?) and when the photographer suggested shooting it with us on the stairs and her taking the photo from the floor above I thought it was very weird and just humored her since she'd also taken one that was more straight on. I have to say she was right -- that photo from above turned out great and is now one of my favorites!

I also agree with having someone waiting with you in the room. I did have my MOH wait with me (we only had BM/MOH and a flower girl) and it felt like we were waiting forever, but I was so glad to have someone there with me!

We also spent more than I'd anticipated on photos. We quickly realized we could never choose just a few as we'd planned, and ended up paying $750 for the DVD of all the photos instead of buying any prints. We and our parents agreed to split the cost 3 ways and we made copies of the DVD for them. Also ended up doing a Shutterfly photo book with a coupon code instead of making prints and doing a regular wedding album.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let the planning begin.....we are 24 months out and I'm an organizer :) I read from page one and already picked up some great ideas and information, thanks! Still waiting for Carnival to finish their 2015 sailing dates to pick the wedding/cruise dates. Love this thread!

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Is there an option for 2hr reception!?

These are the things I would have done different:

1) Booked my wedding package sooner so we could have had the 2hr reception. Another bridal party beat us to the punch even though we booked our wedding package 10 months in advance.

2) Ask TWE coordinator how many servers were expected to be used during the reception. I feel like I under tipped the bartenders and servers since there were more than 4 and I was only prepared for two bartenders.

3) Budgeted a higher amount for photos. $600 was not enough.

4) Create a list of all photos I wanted taken to give to the photographer.

Well dang! Oh ok I guess i'm fine w hr & half reception since its on embarkation day. So how many traditional songs can you choose, like how many song s to dance w hubby, father/daughter dance.. is there a bouquet toss & garter toss? I still want all those traditional things in my reception.

Well dang! Oh ok I guess i'm fine w hr & half reception since its on embarkation day. So how many traditional songs can you choose, like how many song s to dance w hubby, father/daughter dance.. is there a bouquet toss & garter toss? I still want all those traditional things in my reception.

I have seen a copy of the reception request form (for Carnival at least), and you can choose to have as many or as few of those traditions as you would like (though they will take away from the time you would have for just general dancing with your guests). You can also choose the songs for each of the traditions.

• 2 months later...
Do you have to buy a package from CCL or can you pick and choose a few photos to buy?

Is there a website per say that ppl are choosing for their list of photo ops to give to the photographer?

You can pick and choose, but you will be given a strong sell to purchase a package--your photographer might even come up with a special package just for you. I'd take the pricelist with you, because some photographers don't offer you one on board.

A lot of the photo poses are the same, but I'd look around our reviews to see if there's one you really want and make note of it. For my wife and I our "had to have" photos were:

One with the funnel

One with the fun outstretched arms/dance

One in the secret garden hallway

One in the main show lounge staircase area

One in the atrium with the glass funnel at the top

We got them all and didn't have to direct the photographer.

Here's the link to my photos.

You can pick and choose, but you will be given a strong sell to purchase a package--your photographer might even come up with a special package just for you. I'd take the pricelist with you, because some photographers don't offer you one on board.

A lot of the photo poses are the same, but I'd look around our reviews to see if there's one you really want and make note of it. For my wife and I our "had to have" photos were:

One with the funnel

One with the fun outstretched arms/dance

One in the secret garden hallway

One in the main show lounge staircase area

One in the atrium with the glass funnel at the top

We got them all and didn't have to direct the photographer.

Here's the link to my photos.

Thank you Carnival Brides! I love the pic with the outstretched arms, great idea :) Beautiful wedding congratulations

We also spent more than I'd anticipated on photos. We quickly realized we could never choose just a few as we'd planned, and ended up paying $750 for the DVD of all the photos instead of buying any prints.

Does anybody know if you can still do this? I would like this rather then getting actual photos that can get messed up.

My husband and I went round and round about our picture budget. I kept telling him to hope we would only spend $750, but should budget at least $1000. He felt that was all too much. I told him that I had read time and again (on these boards) that the pictures were amazing, but he couldn't imagine spending that much. In the end, we loved nearly every picture, and couldn't eliminate any. We loved the photo book the photographer put together, but the packages that included it were at crazy cost ($3000+). My husband offered the photographer $2000 for all the printed pictures and everything on disc. It worked! We came home with nearly 200 8x10s and 5x7s, plus 3 DVD copies of all the pictures. I used an online service (Shutterfly) to create my own photo book, which also came out beautifully.

In my opinion, it was more worth it to save money for pictures than many of the other costly extras. The pictures are your tangible memories of your very special day.