QM2 Fails Inspection

VTSKIandCRUISEGUY

Every time I come home from Florida our house in Ohio has new cockroach guests also.

We assume they hop into my suitcase any where it is set down.

I would doubt if all the warehouses, trucks and conveyances that every passenger and crew run their stuff through before boarding totally free of cockroaches.

The only solution seems to me to be a minute inspection of every thing, which would take lomger than the crossing, and maybe a world cruise.

And then people would spend all their time complaining and pushing and shoving in the que.

Stop

David

I remember QE2 was once detained in N.Y. by the Coast Guard because the crew was doing work down below and created a breach in one of her watertight bulkheads by removing seals/bushings from around cables and pipes passing through the bukheads. To me, I'd rather fail a sanitary inspection than have my vessel deemed unseaworthy.

A locker is a cupboard.

I had an unattributable conversation with someone on board this evening regarding the low score achieved by the ship on the recent USPH inspection and I was told that they were naturally seriously concerned with all of the points raised by the USPH staff and they have addressed and sorted out all of the situations except those which require spare or replacement parts to fix the reported matters. They will be attended to just as soon as the ordered parts are delivered.

Just did a search on the CDC site for all ratings below 85 and I was surprised it appears that being below 85 is really rare (Only saw 6 listed since 2007)... Hopefully they fix all of the violations :)

This is true. It's increasingly rare (and also more unacceptable) for modern cruise ships to fail the CDC inspection. Modern galleys and procedures are designed with the CDC inspections in mind, with the goal of passing them each and every time. 20+ years ago it was much more common to see failing scores, because the ships were old and many were built prior to the CDC inspections. It was difficult to upgrade those old galleys without significant expense, so many ships just did the best they could.

These days, it's much more common to see scores of 100% rather than a failing score, which makes this QM2 inspection all the more disappointing. Publicity works both ways for QM2. She has taken over QE2 as the perceived "luxury liner" of the World, and in this regard she has received lots of great publicity, more than the average ship. Of course that goes both ways and her failing score is making front page headlines on USA Today. Not a good thing. Any other ship failing would likely never make the national news.

Sounds like Cunard has some work to do.

Ernie

A locker is a cupboard.

I had an unattributable conversation with someone on board this evening regarding the low score achieved by the ship on the recent USPH inspection and I was told that they were naturally seriously concerned with all of the points raised by the USPH staff and they have addressed and sorted out all of the situations except those which require spare or replacement parts to fix the reported matters. They will be attended to just as soon as the ordered parts are delivered.

That's good to hear, Capn. I also see that Cunard has issued a statement saying they have corrected the issues and that they are confident they will not occur again. My only ongoing concern is where the buck stops on this issue -- with Cunard or Princess. If with Cunard, I have complete confidence it will be fixed for good.

The 'buck' stops with Carnival UK who staff, manage and run Cunard and P&O.

Princess Cruises, although owned by Carnival has nothing what so ever to do with Carnival UK. They do however now oversee the running of P&O Australia.

BettyBoob, thanks for that reference (quoted in full below). Personally, I think the statement issued is lacking for several reasons:

1). Cunard can state that corrections have been made, but only the CDC/VSP re-inspection can confirm that (afterall, Cunard apparently passed its own internal inspection.)

2). Cunard stated that a failed inspection "resulted largely from one small area of the ship's overall operation". I challenge that statement. Furthermore,I don't know how many inspectors were involved or the amount of time they were on-board. But my guess is the CDC/VSP inspectors will be conducting a thorough inspection when QM2 docks in NY.

And to the suggestion made previously by a noted board member that the inspectors were new, and were trying to impress their boss - well you can't have it both ways: if an inspection report is good, then the inspectors are stellar, and if the report is bad, then they have ulterior motives---sorry, but that dog won't hunt. If you don't accept the inspection reports then you must not accept them whether they are good or bad.

Regards,

Salacia

Statement re Queen MarDC Scores

24 June 2011

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 received an uncharacteristically low score of 84 following her voluntary Vessel Sanitation Programme (VSP) inspection in New York on 10 June. On most previous inspections she has scored over 95, on three occasions achieving the maximum of 100.

The poor assessment on 10 June resulted largely from one small area of the ship's overall operation. All the issues raised in the report were immediately addressed and have now been corrected.

Ship and shore management have now redefined certain roles and responsibilities to clarify accountability and the Company's already rigorous training schedule has been stepped up. The Company is confident that failings of this nature will not occur again, and that the ship's VSP scores in the future will return to the customary consistently high level.

copied from http://www.cunard.com/About-Cunard-Line/News-Room/Cunard-News/?art=7588

Statement re Queen Mary 2 CDC Scores

24 June 2011

Cunard's Queen Mary 2 received an uncharacteristically low score of 84 following her voluntary Vessel Sanitation Programme (VSP) inspection in New York on 10 June. On most previous inspections she has scored over 95, on three occasions achieving the maximum of 100.

The poor assessment on 10 June resulted largely from one small area of the ship's overall operation. All the issues raised in the report were immediately addressed and have now been corrected.

Ship and shore management have now redefined certain roles and responsibilities to clarify accountability and the Company's already rigorous training schedule has been stepped up. The Company is confident that failings of this nature will not occur again, and that the ship's VSP scores in the future will return to the customary consistently high level.

I'm wondering what more experienced Cunard passengers reaction is the above statement? Any comments? Thanks, -S.

It is very disappointing to read that a ship from any cruise line let alone one with the illustrious name of Cunard has failed an inspection. The report does not make good reading and I'm wondering how much is perhaps down to complacency. Certainly I would hope that heads roll or at the very least the severest of reprimands is issued to all those concerned.

We are due to sail on the QM2 in November and am I worried - absolutely not; certainly by then (and by now) I am sure everything will have been corrected and will be.....wait for it.....SHIPSHAPE :D

I leave Friday for the NYC/Halifax/Boston 4th cruise. My first QM2 experience. I assume they will have all of this stuff sorted out by Friday? I'm not too concerned actually, but as a previous poster mentioned a maggot in her MD salad - yeah that might get my attention! Ewwww.

I leave Friday for the NYC/Halifax/Boston 4th cruise. My first QM2 experience. I assume they will have all of this stuff sorted out by Friday? I'm not too concerned actually, but as a previous poster mentioned a maggot in her MD salad - yeah that might get my attention! Ewwww.

Hey, Come over and join our roll call for this cruise:D

Julie

The 'buck' stops with Carnival UK who staff, manage and run Cunard and P&O.

Princess Cruises, although owned by Carnival has nothing what so ever to do with Carnival UK. They do however now oversee the running of P&O Australia.

When we recived in the mail our travel documents several years ago the envelope had Princess Cruises's return address. My wife, in near disgust, thought I had booked our trip with "The Love Boat" company. When she pressed the issue on the phone on an unrelated matter, she was told Princess provides logistical and some operational "expertise" to Cunard. On our last trip our very charming Captain was identified by a fellow passenger as someone they had on a Princess Cruise as well. Then the connections started to roll from there.

It's coming across as a touchy subject as to Cunard's true level of operational independence. Carnival and Princess do a good job of hiding the connection for the most part. But, it takes virtually no effort to see how Carnival tries to streamline its operations behind the scenes. Be it only just below the surface.

When we recived in the mail our travel documents several years ago the envelope had Princess Cruises's return address. My wife, in near disgust, thought I had booked our trip with "The Love Boat" company. When she pressed the issue on the phone on an unrelated matter, she was told Princess provides logistical and some operational "expertise" to Cunard. On our last trip our very charming Captain was identified by a fellow passenger as someone they had on a Princess Cruise as well. Then the connections started to roll from there.

It's coming across as a touchy subject as to Cunard's true level of operational independence. Carnival and Princess do a good job of hiding the connection for the most part. But, it takes virtually no effort to see how Carnival tries to streamline its operations behind the scenes. Be it only just below the surface.

To make it more clear: A company "Cunard" operating nice ships does not exist. Carnival did keep Cunard as separate entity for a few years after buying it but then moved all assets, operations and responsibilities. Today all left is just a brand - a name for publicity.

They do not advertise this but you need to look at the fine print, eg. at your cruise contract - or at all the Princessification and Carnivalisation going on :(

To make it more clear: A company "Cunard" operating nice ships does not exist. Carnival did keep Cunard as separate entity for a few years after buying it but then moved all assets, operations and responsibilities. Today all left is just a brand - a name for publicity.

They do not advertise this but you need to look at the fine print, eg. at your cruise contract - or at all the Princessification and Carnivalisation going on :(

There is a "Cunard Line Limited" showing at Companies House.

Carnival UK was formed by Carnival Corporation to manage, staff and run P&O Cruises when they bought out P&O. By buying out P&O Cruises they also acquired the other brands/lines that P&O cruises owned such as Princess Cruises, Aida Cruises etc.

When Carnival Corporation acquired Cunard the management and logistics was initially overseen by Princess Cruises in LA.

Cunard is now managed, staffed and run by Carnival UK from Southampton.

Several of Cunard's current Senior Deck and Technical Officers have at some time in their career worked on both P&O and Princess Cruises' ships.

What makes a failed inspection worse for Cunard is that it happened to their flagship - the QM2. It casts a public preception that if the QM2 is deficient, then her sisters QV and QE might be deficient as well.

I was reading the reviews of the 3 Queens on the Cruise Critic site, and it was stated that Queen Victoria is more British in atmosphere than the others, and that QM2 has basically become a Princess ship and has lost most of its true Cunard atmosphere. When QM2 was first launched, apparently she was still managed by Seaborn, and then switched to Princess. The general idea is that QM2 has become another Princess ship, more or less. Here is the QM2 review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=294

And the other Queens:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=376

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=528

First, I am disgusted and dismayed and hae expressed my concerns to Cunard regarding my upcoming trip. I have a realistic perspective and understand that the standards are quite nit-picking, but it remains that the vast majority of ships pass- NOT FAIL.

The ship, because she failed, will be re-inspected the next time she re-enters the US. The inspection she failed, was a surprise inspection, not a planned one, and perhaps all the more telling as a result. I will be paying close attention to the re-inspection, as it will happen prior to my cruise.

Thirdly, the managerial relationship between Cunard and Princess is far closer than you all realize or want to admit. Cunard senior management reports to Princess top management who report up through Cunard Corp. Cunard also benefits from Princess senior operations personnel (Captains, cruise directors, hotel managers, restaurant staff). And for the record, so far as I am aware, no Princess ship in at least the past 10 years has FAILED a CDC inspection. Failing is a massive embarassment and has been pointed out, is quite rare. This puts QM2 in interesting and dubious company.

First' date=' I am disgusted and dismayed and hae expressed my concerns to Cunard regarding my upcoming trip. I have a realistic perspective and understand that the standards are quite nit-picking, but it remains that the vast majority of ships pass- NOT FAIL.

The ship, because she failed, will be re-inspected the next time she re-enters the US. The inspection she failed, was a surprise inspection, not a planned one, and perhaps all the more telling as a result. I will be paying close attention to the re-inspection, as it will happen prior to my cruise.

Thirdly, the managerial relationship between Cunard and Princess is far closer than you all realize or want to admit. Cunard senior management reports to Princess top management who report up through Cunard Corp. Cunard also benefits from Princess senior operations personnel (Captains, cruise directors, hotel managers, restaurant staff).[b'] And for the record, so far as I am aware, no Princess ship in at least the past 10 years has FAILED a CDC inspection. Failing is a massive embarassment and has been pointed out, is quite rare. This puts QM2 in interesting and dubious company.[/b]

It makes you wonder. First they move the Cunard ships to Brooklyn, then step by step, dilute their character, then completely neglect basic standards. I had heard a few years ago, from a good source, that there was an active attempt to dismantle the true British traditions of Cunard. Whether this is true or not I don't know. It's probably something to do with business interests.

I do know that one of the most precious moments to me on the Transatlatics, notably on QE2, was sailing into the New York harbor at 5 or 6 am, standing right at the bow. It was magnificent and unforgettable. After 9/11, it was particularly emotional. It's just not the same arriving in Brooklyn.

I was reading the reviews of the 3 Queens on the Cruise Critic site, and it was stated that Queen Victoria is more British in atmosphere than the others, and that QM2 has basically become a Princess ship and has lost most of its true Cunard atmosphere. When QM2 was first launched, apparently she was still managed by Seaborn, and then switched to Princess. The general idea is that QM2 has become another Princess ship, more or less.

I am not in the least suprised that Queen Mary 2 failed an inspection. I would have failed the buffet area last August when we travelled on her. Tables were not cleared and food was on the floor. I was a little unsure when we recently went on Queen Victoria but need not have worried. She was beautiful and clean. As soon as anyone left a table it was cleared and wiped immediately. Now I am beginning to get concerned regarding your association of Princess with QM2. We have two cruises booked with Princess and feel like cancelling if they are comparable to QM2! We also didn't find the staff friendly - 'relying on past reputation' was used by many on the Q.M. - same training?

QM2 is a self contained entity with regard to the everyday operation at sea. As with any self contained entitiy , its senior memeber is the ultimate head, in this case the "Captain" is in effect the CEO, he is assisted by "Heads of Departments"

If the ship itself ( as an entity) fails to meet Health standard you cannot blame a staffer in Southampton or New York, nor argue that it happened because the HO is under a certain "Company Name viz, Carnival,or Princess.

QM2 failed the inspection because standards on board were deficient, and those standards are set by the staff on board, from the Captain down to the staff dealing with the garbarge disposal .

I was reading the reviews of the 3 Queens on the Cruise Critic site, and it was stated that Queen Victoria is more British in atmosphere than the others, and that QM2 has basically become a Princess ship and has lost most of its true Cunard atmosphere.

I do know that one of the most precious moments to me on the Transatlatics, notably on QE2, was sailing into the New York harbor at 5 or 6 am, standing right at the bow. It was magnificent and unforgettable. After 9/11, it was particularly emotional. It's just not the same arriving in Brooklyn.

I can't but agree. I prefer Queen Victoria to Queen Mary 2. The whole "ocean liner" aspect is over rated - what makes the experience is inside the hotel department rather than outside the hull.

I had a huge sense of pride whenever I saw Queen Elizabeth 2 docked when I was a passenger. She had a beauty that was palpable. She simply was the best ship in the world. And every other ship knew it. Cunard have lost that touch - and will never regain it. There is no "best" ship now.

And yes - Brooklyn is a pale imitation of Manhattan. I don't even bother getting up for a Queen Mary entry to New York (Brooklyn). But were she going to Manhattan, or I were on one of the Vistas, I'd be up at dawn or earlier.

Of course, those who have never entered New York on QE2 will simply not understand the power of that experience - and now, of course, never can.

Queen Mary 2 is a nice ship, but she is too big, and too confusing. I don't like the Queen's Room, Afternoon Tea is a disgrace and Kings Court - well, the less said the better.

WD

Archived