QM2 Fails Inspection

VTSKIandCRUISEGUY

Regular 'Cundarders' on our dining table NEVER touched the ship!! Elbows were used to select floors in lifts. Paper tissues to open toilet doors (actually to be honest I did this as I observed many NOT washing their hands before leaving washrooms!) Handrails were a definite no, no!

And, for a sense of logic between all the threads, I'd like to bring up the dire necessity of formal men's fashion to solve this problem. The pocket square is excellent for all duties described above. And you thought it was just for show... tut.

The next time someone criticizes you for not using sanitizer on the backs of your hands, inform them that you do not eat with the backs of your hands. If you want to really upset them, add that you reserve the backs of your hands for opening and closing bathroom doors. :D :eek:

I agree that people are unnecessarily germ-phobic, but using hand sanitizer will not weaken your immune system. There is growing support (but no clinical proof) for the idea that the drastic rise in allergies, especially in kids, is due to the way parents keep babies and small children from being exposed to dirt and other challenges to the immune system. The hypothesis is that the young immune system doesn't get a chance to learn what's what, and later responds to harmless substances as if they were a threat to the body (allergic response).

But your immune system is all grown up and isn't going to "forget" what it "knows," even if you use antibacterial soap and/or hand sanitizers.

Interesting.... I always thought throughout my life I have strengthened my stomach by exposing it to food and water that would never pass US standards. Think, little roadside "restaurants" in Greece, Amish cheese, Mexican water.... are you saying I've had the resistance all along? What a disappointment!

I will have to remember that response about the sanitizer..... I am loathe to put in on the backs of my hands because I am afraid it will dry them out. Yes I am a little vain :rolleyes:

Interesting.... I always thought throughout my life I have strengthened my stomach by exposing it to food and water that would never pass US standards. Think, little roadside "restaurants" in Greece, Amish cheese, Mexican water.... are you saying I've had the resistance all along? What a disappointment!

I will have to remember that response about the sanitizer..... I am loathe to put in on the backs of my hands because I am afraid it will dry them out. Yes I am a little vain :rolleyes:

I usually do slather it on the backs of my hands because the auto-squirters tend to spit out so much that it won't dry unless I spread it out. I hate the sanitizer at boarding. You have to have your card out for security, and you're trying to juggle posessions so they're ready for the x-ray machine. Your hands are full, and someone wants to squirt sanitizer into them. How many passengers do you see holding their cards in their teeth while they sanitize their hands? How healthy is that????

And congratulations on your strong consitution!

F5Loar, I too will be on that voyage. I'm rather fond of the Brookyn port and its history, so I never find RedHook boring. However, I am looking forward to experiencing the Manhattan port.

I really have no interest in being a health inspector; I'll leave that to the experts - so I'm not going looking for anything, except for a nice sailing on a short voyage for which I paid dearly. Unless someone falls overboard, or poses a hazzard, I have no intention of calling anything to anyones attention: my husband and I are just looking forward to some R&R.

Just to add, I sincerely hope that tablemates have the good grace not to bring up the topic of the failed inspection report while dining. Please.

With regards,

Salacia

Hi Salacia

I see you are on the July !st cruise. As i haven't seen you on the roll call i didn't realise! I hope you will be in the CC on the 2nd July and we can put faces to names:D

Julie

PS. I think all will be shipshape even more so than usual after all this publicity.

Hi Salacia

I see you are on the July !st cruise. As i haven't seen you on the roll call i didn't realise! I hope you will be in the CC on the 2nd July and we can put faces to names:D

Julie

PS. I think all will be shipshape even more so than usual after all this publicity.

Hi Julie. Thanks for the invite. Yes, I agree with you; we're sailing at a really good time. I'm looking forward to a pleasant voyage on a good ship with passengers who also want to enjoy their holiday. Third time I've taken this cruise, and I hear the third time is the charm :D -Salacia

...How many passengers do you see holding their cards in their teeth while they sanitize their hands? How healthy is that????

About as healthy as the actions of a lady passenger I once watched sampling the salad in Kings Court using the serving fork and then, having eaten a few mouthfuls, sticking the fork back in the salad :eek:

J

About as healthy as the actions of a lady passenger I once watched sampling the salad in Kings Court using the serving fork and then, having eaten a few mouthfuls, sticking the fork back in the salad :eek:

J

OK, I'm convinced: completely off eating salads on board after reading reports of maggots in the salad in the MDR and used forks returned to the salad in Kings Court.

Lucky me - I sail on Friday. Happily, I don't have much of an appetite after reading the inspection report and posts here.

OK, I'm convinced: completely off eating salads on board after reading reports of maggots in the salad in the MDR and used forks returned to the salad in Kings Court.

Lucky me - I sail on Friday. Happily, I don't have much of an appetite after reading the inspection report and posts here.

Heck, I wouldn't worry about the maggots - they're just added protein. Enjoy :D:D:D

Looking forward to your reports.

J

There is a growing trend toward weakening our immune systems by attempting to never come into any contact with germs whatsoever.... these are the people you talk about, who decline to shake hands, use tissues on doorknobs, won't use handrails or go to buffets, etc.

I will constantly use sanitizer on cruise ships to make everyone happy.... though I've been criticized for not covering the backs of my hands with it, but that is another debate.... however in the rest of the world I like to keep my immune system strong by allowing some exposure to dreaded germs and keeping sanitizer to a reasonable amount.

I used to use it to make people happy as well, but do not do that any more.

I have little faith in hand sanitizers and I suspect they do little more than make the germ-phobics feel good about themselves. I believe hand sanitizers have been recommended only for health workers in conjunction with frequent hand washing.

Below is one of the newer opinions of sanitizers.

"Hand sanitizers work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin. This usually prevents bacteria present in the body from coming to the surface of the hand. However, these bacteria that are normally present in the body are generally not the kinds of bacteria that will make us sick. In a review of the research, Barbara Almanza, an associate professor at Purdue University who teaches safe sanitation practices to workers, came to an interesting conclusion. She notes that the research shows that hand sanitizers do not significantly reduce the number of bacteria on the hand and in some cases may potentially increase the amount of bacteria on the hand. "

biology.about.com/od microbiology/a handsanitizers htm

I am not fond of buffet food anywhere. There is always someone who pokes the food around, especially when kids are present. It would cause queues but would be far better if everything was served.

Never saw anything dirty on QM2 although we do not see behind the scenes anywhere. That is why there are inspections and I do not go along with the insinuations that the inspectors are bent, they will have proof of what they found.

I used to use it to make people happy as well, but do not do that any more.

I have little faith in hand sanitizers and I suspect they do little more than make the germ-phobics feel good about themselves. I believe hand sanitizers have been recommended only for health workers in conjunction with frequent hand washing.

Below is one of the newer opinions of sanitizers.

"Hand sanitizers work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin. This usually prevents bacteria present in the body from coming to the surface of the hand. However, these bacteria that are normally present in the body are generally not the kinds of bacteria that will make us sick. In a review of the research, Barbara Almanza, an associate professor at Purdue University who teaches safe sanitation practices to workers, came to an interesting conclusion. She notes that the research shows that hand sanitizers do not significantly reduce the number of bacteria on the hand and in some cases may potentially increase the amount of bacteria on the hand. "

biology.about.com/od microbiology/a handsanitizers htm

I share your doubts about the hand sanitizers. A good old-fashioned hand-washing is best. However, if people don't wash their hands before going to the dining room or buffet, I guess the hand sanitizer is better than nothing.

From someone who actual worked on this ship and has access to all the areas the passengers don’t I have to say I am not surprised it has failed.

Over the last couple of years the attitude towards USPH has been is to ignore it till the week before New York then rush around trying to hide the stuff and finaly it has caught up with them.

I have to say I have never seen roaches in galleys etc and can’t see where the inspector picked this up from, but for the rest of them hiding cooked, uncooked food and chemicals in lockers this is rife and is due to a lack of proper management in the hotel side.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the people from head office were panicking but someone needs to go for this as all it does is put pressure on other departments to pick up the slack left by these fools.

It will be interesting to see the follow up report which will be due either this New York or if they are on a New England one as I think the inspectors will be looking twice as hard now.

I would also say I think all cruise ships are like this not just QM2.

After recently spending 5 weeks on QM2 and finding a lot of things wrong, reporting them to Cunard in writing and Cunard admitting the problems to me in writing (including specifically as to hygiene standards), we then hear this report of the failed CDC inspection.

It seems to me that Cunard has been getting a lot of bad feedback from passengers lately about standards on board, but they have not been acting to sort out the problems. Now they are faced with bad publicity over the "filthy" ship. I cannot feel any sympathy for Cunard on this issue.

From someone who actual worked on this ship and has access to all the areas the passengers don’t I have to say I am not surprised it has failed.

Over the last couple of years the attitude towards USPH has been is to ignore it till the week before New York then rush around trying to hide the stuff and finaly it has caught up with them.

I have to say I have never seen roaches in galleys etc and can’t see where the inspector picked this up from, but for the rest of them hiding cooked, uncooked food and chemicals in lockers this is rife and is due to a lack of proper management in the hotel side.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the people from head office were panicking but someone needs to go for this as all it does is put pressure on other departments to pick up the slack left by these fools.

It will be interesting to see the follow up report which will be due either this New York or if they are on a New England one as I think the inspectors will be looking twice as hard now.

Hiding may be the operative word here. There seems to be some question as to whether this was an announced or unannounced inspection. If it was the latter, a quick panic clearup may have involved getting stray pots and pans and containers out of site. I've never done that in the kitchen, but I've tossed stray items around the house into closets for a quick cleanup when unexpected guests were arriving.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I see that you are actually on board QM2 at the moment - can you give us any updates on the current situation?

J

Well these inspections are always random, but the point is you get to know roughly when they are due. USPH seem from what I have seen in the past on cruise ships have one every 4-6months so you can judge when it is due. I would be surprised if they didn’t know it was coming as looking on the USPH website the last one had been over 6 months ago, so I would say they knew it was coming.

Cruachan I just set my location as that I currently am not onboard as I haven’t worked on there for a while now but do do people still there so will try and protect them. Though I haven’t been there for a while I would somewhat believe the practice hasn’t changed much.

All I can say is that for all the cruise companies I have worked for in the past and its has been all the major players in the market you can judge when these are due

I will also add that from reading the report I think in some way the inspectors have been a little naive. For example a ship in port has to open the sheel doors to bring on food and there is nothing you can do to stop flies coming in through these. From what I have seen in the big 3 cruises companies they all have a harsh pest control system and havent seen for a long time roaches on ships so would find it hard ifthere was ones onboard espcially knowing the general area they talk about in the report. I will say from personal experiance onboard in the past I dont think the ship is filthy but I think they have been caught out doing somthing they shouldnt be doing ie put pans etc where they shouldnt. In this case I would say they have been a bit stupid and have been caught out & with a few silly comments from the inspectors too. I think this more a problem with middle to upper managment rather than the guys lower down who I know from the past work really hard and try their best.

QM2 will pass the next one when it comes as its reputation rests on it.

Interesting that just days later two Carnival ships got perfect inspection scores (100) in the same port.

USA Today: In first, two Carnival ships ace health inspection on same day

Makes me think just how bad the inspectors must have felt the QM2 was that day.

I have always found Carnival ships to be quite clean, I have sailed on several voyages with them and everything was always in order... But the problem I am always afraid of is the behind the scenes stuff that passengers do NOT see...

Interesting that just days later two Carnival ships got perfect inspection scores (100) in the same port.

USA Today: In first, two Carnival ships ace health inspection on same day

Makes me think just how bad the inspectors must have felt the QM2 was that day.

The perfect scores for the Carnival ships makes it clear that there is no excuse for a failing score from the CDC, and that the failure of the QM2 is clearly a failure of onboard management that should and must be dealt with in the most serious manner possible.

I am a fan of Cunard and have sailed on her ships 4 times, and soon to be 5. But unlike the self-professed "Cunard Cheerleaders," I will not try to make excuses for the failure of QM2 staff, nor play down the significance of this failure. It is profoundly disappointing.

I have also been wondering if there are inspections carried out by health authorities in other countries when the ship docks, or is this just a US issue? Does anyone know?

If it is just a US issue then there is a worrying spectre of standards being allowed to slip when the ship is away from US ports for any length of time (eg on the World Cruise).

I have been thinking very carefully about my past World Cruises to see if I can remember health authorities on board in various ports, but I cannot remember any mention of them. I recall sniffer dogs running along passenger corridors on QE2 but I think they were probably customs dogs sniffing for drugs.

If it is just a US issue then there is a worrying spectre of standards being allowed to slip when the ship is away from US ports for any length of time (eg on the World Cruise).

Or that the US inspectors set ridiculous targets for the cruise lines to meet. :rolleyes: I don't remember thee being health inspections in other countries but have a vague memory of comments staff have made about them so I think they do happen :)

Or that the US inspectors set ridiculous targets for the cruise lines to meet. :rolleyes:

That would not surprise me..... you would not believe how long it takes medication to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Funny story, it is my understanding that one reason it took a long time for executions in the US to be done by lethal injection was that by US regulations, the FDA had to approve it as "safe and effective" :rolleyes:

Archived