QM2 Fails Inspection

VTSKIandCRUISEGUY

took a long time for executions in the US to be done by lethal injection was that by US regulations, the FDA had to approve it as "safe and effective" :rolleyes:

Similar thing here, but with vets (we don't execute people any more...) - I've had two experiences of them disinfecting the needle site prior to administrating the lethal dose.

Mary

I have also been wondering if there are inspections carried out by health authorities in other countries when the ship docks, or is this just a US issue? Does anyone know?

If it is just a US issue then there is a worrying spectre of standards being allowed to slip when the ship is away from US ports for any length of time (eg on the World Cruise).

I have been thinking very carefully about my past World Cruises to see if I can remember health authorities on board in various ports, but I cannot remember any mention of them. I recall sniffer dogs running along passenger corridors on QE2 but I think they were probably customs dogs sniffing for drugs.

I know that there are inspections in Canada. When we were in Halifax on QE2, health inspectors were on the ship.

I think that most countries have some sort of inspection. I have heard crew members say that nobody's inspections are as tough as the US inspections.

Similar thing here, but with vets (we don't execute people any more...) - I've had two experiences of them disinfecting the needle site prior to administrating the lethal dose.

Mary

I believe here they do the disinfection for executions on humans as well :rolleyes:

I sure hope there are health inspectors again before QM2 sails July 1. I was on the July 4th cruise in 2009 and there were hand sanitizer stations at the beginning of every buffet line and staff "enforcers" standing next to them.

I sure hope there are health inspectors again before QM2 sails July 1. I was on the July 4th cruise in 2009 and there were hand sanitizer stations at the beginning of every buffet line and staff "enforcers" standing next to them.

I wonder if anyone realizes how long the hand sanitizer is effective?

I just read that hand sanitizers last for two minutes and is most effective used after one comes in contact with someone who has been sneezing or coughing.

So I am wondering just what the purpose is for the hand sanitizer that is available and enforced in some cases as passengers enter a dining room or buffet? I guess it would be great if we all wolfed down our food in two minutes flat.

"According to a recent survey, half of all Americans think the antibacterial gels last longer than they do -- which is two minutes, according to germ experts."

So I am wondering just what the purpose is for the hand sanitizer that is available and enforced in some cases as passengers enter a dining room or buffet?

They are there to make everyone think they are doing something constructive - they are anti-bacterial, not anti-viral and norovirus is, unsurprisingly, a virus...

Mary

I just read that hand sanitizers last for two minutes and is most effective used after one comes in contact with someone who has been sneezing or coughing.

And what about when the steward giving out the hand sanitizer has a cold and is sneezing and coughing everywhere - everywhere that is other than in his handkerchief :eek: (Yes, I have seen that on a Cunard ship)

And what about when the steward giving out the hand sanitizer has a cold and is sneezing and coughing everywhere - everywhere that is other than in his handkerchief :eek: (Yes, I have seen that on a Cunard ship)

They use the inside of the elbow now.:)

I guess you could refuse it or could you?

They use the inside of the elbow now.:)

I suppose it makes a change from their sleeve :D

I guess you could refuse it or could you?

My father doesn't believe in hand sanitizer and just ignores them. They've never stopped him!

They are there to make everyone think they are doing something constructive - they are anti-bacterial, not anti-viral and norovirus is, unsurprisingly, a virus...

Mary

I once had this same discussion with one ship's doctor. I questioned the efficacy of the antibacterial gel/spray/whatever against a virus. He said the only benefit was that people got so fed-up of having sticky hands that they went and washed them! I've yet to get a better explanation.

Regards, Colin.

Good question. The bottle is wearing a dress, but it's also wearing a black tie. Very confusing!

Just covering all the options I guess. You can never be too careful where the dress code's concerned :D

J

I once had this same discussion with one ship's doctor. I questioned the efficacy of the antibacterial gel/spray/whatever against a virus. He said the only benefit was that people got so fed-up of having sticky hands that they went and washed them! I've yet to get a better explanation.

Regards, Colin.

I'm addicted to the fumes - the stuff beats the heck out of glue sniffing :cool:

J

My husband and I are on the July 20 westbound crossing and I figure that with all the attention the CDC report got, everything on the QM2 will be immaculate for the rest of the summer, at least.

I have never seen it anything else but immaculate. I can't even imagine how it ever got a score like that--or maybe I can!

That would not surprise me..... you would not believe how long it takes medication to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Funny story, it is my understanding that one reason it took a long time for executions in the US to be done by lethal injection was that by US regulations, the FDA had to approve it as "safe and effective" :rolleyes:

That also included "non habit forming". True

Regarding an earlier post....you will notice that the staff never ever touch handrails. Not because the staff doesn't clean properly...simply because passengers have bad habits and they don't touch where passengers touch when it can be avoided. :)

Regarding an earlier post....you will notice that the staff never ever touch handrails. Not because the staff doesn't clean properly...simply because passengers have bad habits and they don't touch where passengers touch when it can be avoided. :)

So why did Ian McNaught say, every time there was bad weather, "one hand for the ship" and encourage use of the handrails?

There comes a point where the handrails are necessary. Otherwise the hospital will be full of broken bones.

WD

On our QV cruise the first indication that the ship had gone Code Red was when I noticed all of the handrails were wet (with disinfectant).

Oh dear. The handrails were wet this afternoon (Saturday) on QM2. I'm hoping it was the humidity?:eek:

Archived