Where to eat on embarkation day?

Jo and Rob

I think many people did what we did just came in and looked for a seat right there. I didn't realize how much more seating was in the back and on the other side. Live and learn.

And of course outside at the back... but I'm guessing that may be pretty busy also ? - but if you are new on the ship you may not realise the outside dining area at the back of Oceanview is there.... well I can hope can't I ? That's where I might head.

I don't think anyone pointed out to the OP that there are many stations in Oceanview, not just one long line. There are also signs above the stations as well as in front of each food choice.

The beverage stations are numerous, so you do not have to wait too often, it seems to me, and the waitstaff often comes around with a cart of water, tea, etc.

Also, bar staff will be passing through often to take beverage orders.

And then there are those of us who just decide to drink

our lunch:D:D:D...no lines, no waiting, just find a seat at one

of the bars:):):)

Relax. On the first day, people board at many different times. I have cruised a lot and usually don't find big crowds in any venue. Take a look around and when you see something that looks good, stop and eat. Often the buffet is the least crowded on the first afternoon. There are usually multiple stations in the buffet. If one station is crowded, just walk to another station. The stations further back are usually empty. People just join the line as they exit the elevator....keep walking. You won't go hungry.

I don't think anyone pointed out to the OP that there are many stations in Oceanview, not just one long line. There are also signs above the stations as well as in front of each food choice...

...There are usually multiple stations in the buffet. If one station is crowded, just walk to another station. The stations further back are usually empty. People just join the line as they exit the elevator....keep walking. You won't go hungry.

These comments are very true for the M class ships but less true for the S class ships. On the M class ships the traditional buffet lines start at the front near the front as you enter the buffet and it isn't immediately clear there are second lines behind those and other stations around the back.

In contrast on the S class there are serving stations, as opposed to buffet lines, more or less centrally located in the middle of the buffet area. The exception is the pizza and ice cream stations near the mid ship doors. They've done a very good job at organizing things to avoid the long frustrating lines - conversely at busy times you do tend to get a lot of people wondering back and forth between the stations and things do get a bit congested.

Good point! I think most of us presumed we were all talking about lunch time immediately after embarking - but looking back the OP didn't mention the time of day they were considering. The main dining rooms are definitely open for dinner as well as the specialty restuarants. If we were in traditional dining my first choice for dinner would be the main dining room (to meet our waiters and/or table mates) and if we were in select my first choice would be a specialty restuarant - probably Tuscan Grill.

Also, the Aqua Spa cafe closes before dinner time and the buffet has a limited selection for dinner.

Yes I was talking about lunch. ;)

We love grabbing a bite to eat when we board before we start exploring. Hopefully after lunch the cabins will be ready for us to drop off our bags so we don't have to lug them about.

This doesn't have to do with embarkation day; but is Celebrity still doing the nightly

sushi bar after the first night? When we did this cruise on Zenith in '05, we were there

every night at 6:00 then grabbed a plate, a glass of wine, and headed for a quiet place at the rear of the ship. A nice prelude to getting ready for late seating.

Mast Grill is the burgers & fries place. I don't think Aqua Spa cafe would be a good fit for kids. Healthy food, salads. My kind of place, but not going to satisfy a kid. EM

Just an aside, but I always wonder about people who think this way. Kids can't like to eat healthy food? My son has never eaten "kid" food, and I go out of my way to make sure it continues to be like that. He loves healthy food and why wouldn't I want to encourage him to eat like this? It's a heck of a lot better than kids who only want to eat mac n cheese or chicken nuggets or what not, with very little nutritional value,

This doesn't have to do with embarkation day; but is Celebrity still doing the nightly

sushi bar after the first night? When we did this cruise on Zenith in '05' date=' we were there

every night at 6:00 then grabbed a plate, a glass of wine, and headed for a quiet place at the rear of the ship. A nice prelude to getting ready for late seating.[/quote']

Hello:) yes, there is Sushi:D every night. I think it is 5-9 (or

somewhere in that timeframe).

First cruise on Celebrity, is the MDR no open like other lines?

Nope, not for lunch on day of embarkation. After boarding the ship,

the places mentioned are open. Buffet, Aqua Spa Cafe, Grill at the Pool

and on the S class ships, Bistro on 5.

Just an aside, but I always wonder about people who think this way. Kids can't like to eat healthy food? My son has never eaten "kid" food, and I go out of my way to make sure it continues to be like that. He loves healthy food and why wouldn't I want to encourage him to eat like this? It's a heck of a lot better than kids who only want to eat mac n cheese or chicken nuggets or what not, with very little nutritional value,

I could not agree more. While my kids enjoy a good burger, if sushi or some good salad options are available, that's where they'll eat. They're grown now but they've had really diverse tastes in food since they were toddlers. They love cruising and the food choices are a big part of the enjoyment.

The Bistro on 5 is not always available. We went as we boarded and were told it was for cruisers doing b2b. So we said we'd wait. But it was almost empty. Finally got seated, and the service was AWFUL. I swear the waiters must have been on drugs. Kept asking us for our orders over and over. Same waiters, same questions. We ordered dessert at least 3 times, and then waited forever. Only bad service on the trip. This was the Eclipse last March.

The Bistro on 5 is not always available. We went as we boarded and were told it was for cruisers doing b2b. So we said we'd wait. But it was almost empty. Finally got seated, and the service was AWFUL. I swear the waiters must have been on drugs. Kept asking us for our orders over and over. Same waiters, same questions. We ordered dessert at least 3 times, and then waited forever. Only bad service on the trip. This was the Eclipse last March.

cpinstein,

Was this the March 12th cruise? (Eclipse) We had a very similar experience with the BtoB people leaving as we wanted to be seated; we had to wait, and service was slow and kind of out of sorts. The longer we there, the better things turned out, but the pace was off. We returned two other times during the cruise, and things were wonderful.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Hi Carol,

I did an Eclipse b2b in February, I went to bistro on 5 on boarding for the first week, it was very empty and service was superb, the maitre d'i could not do enough to please me, on the turn around day for the second week they invited the b2b cruisers into the mdr, it was a limited menu, reasonable but not great.

Hope to meet up and cruise with you again soon.

Philip

• 2 months later...
Is the Cova Café on the Millennium open for lunch on embarkation day?

Hi:)I have never seen Cova open for lunch on any of the ships.

They serve "Tapas" later in the day but in all my cruises I have never

seen lunch served there. They are more known for sweets and finger

foods but not what I would consider lunch. During the week try the

almond croissants...they are heavenly:)

Hi:)I have never seen Cova open for lunch on any of the ships.

They serve "Tapas" later in the day but in all my cruises I have never

seen lunch served there. They are more known for sweets and finger

foods but not what I would consider lunch. During the week try the

almond croissants...they are heavenly:)

Thanks so much for the info ~ that's a big help! We will definitely put it on the "to do" list to try the almond croissants. I like those kinds of "to do lists" :) !

Thanks so much for the info ~ that's a big help! We will definitely put it on the "to do" list to try the almond croissants. I like those kinds of "to do lists" :) !

Hi Mary, glad to help:)...I plan to do alot of nothing on my upcoming

cruise. Lay around the Solarium Pool, relax, read, sip a drink, nap,

etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, this so brought back the memories of the brunch in the dining room. The last time we went I felt physically ill with all the piled plates and waste and combined smells of chocolate and roast beef. LOL

There's nothing that brings out the worst in people like free food. Or those trying to get their "money's worth" out of the offerings.

Our first experience of the lunch buffet was on the Summit. My DH and I sat outside the MDR in the Champagne Bar and were amazed watching the people line up even before the doors opened. I know what you mean about 'getting their money's worth!'

Archived