Perks and Amenities ?

hotzej

I've taken over 20 cruises, many on Holland America, Azamara. I can't find where there are any perks or amenities of any consequence offered on Oceania? Can someone please enlighten me on why so many people us this cruise line?

OK, We like them because

• No formal nights
  • Very good food
  • No set dining times
  • Fewer nickel and diming tactics (included specialty non-alcohol coffees, now included water, no fees for specialty restaurants)
  • Smaller ship size on the R ships is WONDERFUL!!
  • Love their itineraries, almost always they have the ones we are most interested in.

I have no idea what perks or amenities the others give to compare with O

What are you looking for? Maybe we can tell you if you get that perk with O or not

Comparing the brochures should give you the amenities on all the lines

Cannot say what makes us like O any better than the others except the dress code, limited smoking, limited children, smaller ships, friendly crew, no fee specialty restaurants. nice passengers, good itineraries, comfy beds

Just enjoy the general feeling on Oceania more than other cruise lines but that is just my overall feeling

Maybe HAL or Azamara give you the same feeling ;)

Lyn

Never choose your cruises for "perks"...

Sure, I love the free drinks I get on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...but, when it really comes down to it, I can BUY my own drinks if I want...

All "Customer Loyalty" programs really just come down to marketing...

You can get all the same perks that any line gives you on any other line merely by paying for them...

So, when it comes down to it, you should choose your cruises for the itinerary, the ship, the food, the service, etc.

If you like what you get from the cruise and cruise line, you book it...If you don't like the cruise or cruise line or itinerary, all of the free perks in the world shouldn't make you take that cruise...

That said, I think the reason most Oceania cruisers come back to Oceania is because it is a pretty good product...The food is outstanding, the service is top flight, the ships are spacious and the itineraries are outstanding...

I don't think many Oceania cruisers are as price-conscious as a lot of cruisers who choose some other lines...So, paying for your drinks or your laundry is not that big a deal...

And there is a difference in attitude between those who over-value customer loyalty perks and those who don't care...To many people, it is not a matter of your past cruising history...You deserve great service because of THE CRUISE YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON AND PAYING FOR...not because of how many cruises you've been on with that cruise line before...

Recently, on one of these boards, a poster was looking at a specific Baltic itinerary with Princess...There was a similar, but slightly better itinerary, same dates, on a newer, less crowded Celebrity ship selling for about $400 pp lower for a standard Balcony cabin, so I recommended to this poster that they consider that one...I also said they should look into Oceania and Azamara with some 3-day St. Petersburg stays...Oh, no, they responded, they were "loyal" Princess cruisers and were "working" toward the next level on Princess' loyalty program, so they were ONLY considering Princess! I guess some people just think differently...

To each their own, for us:

• itineraries
  • no formal nights
  • stellar service
  • itineraries
  • smoking policy
  • cabanas on R ships
  • size of ship
  • itineraries

It certainly isn't due to the size of the room (although our one stay in a PH does make that very appealing), it isn't due to their loyalty program, entertainment or internet.

I appreciate all of your views on the subject. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. That being said, now I can look at Oceania from a different perspective and hopefully will be aboard sometime in the near future.

These are the benefits from the website:

Club Member Benefits

Review your benefits and learn how you can achieve Oceania Club level status. After the completion of your first Oceania Cruises vacation, you will be immediately inducted into the Oceania Cruises past guest club, the Oceania Club. As an Oceania Club member, you are entitled to the below Club benefits.

ONBOARD BENEFITS

• Exclusive Oceania Club cocktail party hosted by the Captain and Senior Officers on all sailings.
  • Oceania Club membership pin. Frequent cruisers receive recognition pins, onboard benefits and other special amenities after 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 60 and 80 cruises, culminating with a free cruise in an Owner's Suite to celebrate your 100th cruise with us.
  • As you continue to sail with Oceania Cruises, you become eligible to receive onboard amenities such as shipboard credits, pre-paid gratuities, complimentary spa treatments and free shore excursions.
  • Oceania Club Ambassador on every voyage.

AT HOME BENEFITS

• Special pricing, complimentary amenities, and other exclusive privileges offered on select sailings.
  • Periodic communications with information of interest on upcoming cruises and special offers for members only.

REUNION CRUISE

• Our 8th Annual event will be onboard Riviera on June 17, 2012.
  • Departing Lisbon for 10 days concluding in Rome.
  • Click here for more information.

SOCIAL MEDIA

Oceania Club Levels

Members qualify for Oceania Club Level status based on the number of sailings aboard Oceania Cruises.

• Cruises between 10-24 days will receive one cruise credit
  • Cruises between 25-34 days will receive two cruise credits
  • Cruises 35 days and more will receive three cruise credits

Bronze Cruises 5-9

• Bronze membership pins
  • $200 shipboard credit

Silver Cruises 10-14

• Silver membership pins
  • $400 shipboard credit
  • Complimentary gratuities

Gold Cruises 15-19

• Gold membership pins
  • $500 shipboard credit
  • Two complimentary Canyon Ranch spa treatments

Platinum Cruise 20

• Platinum membership pins
  • FREE CRUISE (certain restrictions apply)
  • Two complimentary half-day shore excursions

Platinum Cruises 21-39

• $600 shipboard credit

Diamond Cruise 40

• Diamond membership pins
  • Two complimentary full-day shore excursions

Diamond Cruises 41-59

• $700 shipboard credit
  • Two complimentary full-day shore excursions

Elite Cruise 60

• Elite membership pins
  • Four complimentary full-day shore excursions or one full-day Executive Collection with private car for two

Elite Cruises 61-79

• $800 shipboard credit
  • Four complimentary full-day shore excursions or one full-day Executive Collection with private car for two

Pinnacle Cruise 80

• Pinnacle membership pins
  • Four complimentary full-day shore excursions or two full-day Executive Collections with private car for two

Pinnacle Cruises 81-99

• $900 shipboard credit
  • Four complimentary full-day shore excursions or two full-day Executive Collections with private car for two

Founder’s Club Cruise 100

• Founder’s Club membership pins
  • FREE CRUISE IN AN OWNER’S SUITE (certain restrictions apply)
  • Four complimentary Canyon Ranch spa treatments
  • Complimentary round-trip private car transportation (Primary Air gateways only)
  • Complimentary Discovery or Explorer Collection shore excursions
  • Genuine leather luggage set

*All Oceania Club benefits listed above are per stateroom, based on double occupancy, can only be applied to one booking per voyage, have no cash value and are non-transferable. Benefits other than a shipboard credit cannot be exchanged for a shipboard credit if not taken. The awarded FREE CRUISE is based on double occupancy, is subject to availability at the time of booking, cannot exceed 14 days in length and includes round-trip coach air only. For cruises over 14 days in length, the cruise cost will be prorated for the additional days. Stateroom category will reflect the accommodations most closely matching the typical category selected by the Guests on prior voyages. Guests are required to notify Reservations when requesting the FREE CRUISE. Booking must be approved and will be placed as a guarantee until stateroom category has been assigned, upon authorization from the Oceania Club. FREE CRUISE can only be used on the milestone cruise (i.e. 20th, 40th, 60th, etc.). Air Credit will not be given if Guests elect to purchase their own air. Reservations for this cruise may only be made 180 days or more prior to sail date. The complimentary Canyon Ranch spa treatments are valid on select services only. Other restrictions may apply. Oceania Club rewards do not apply to Travel Agent promotional offers, including but not limited to, Travel Agent reduced rates and interline reservations. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to exclude or limit combinability with the benefits or rewards of other agency partnerships or promotional offers not specified herein. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to change the program rules, benefits, conditions of qualifications, special offers or cruise level requirements at its sole discretion.

Unless I missed it, no one mentioned - no photographers as you get on and off the ship or ANY time during the cruise or following you around. No more art auctions. These added to all the others mentioned and the fact we have liked their itineraries.

We just booked our first O cruise so my opinion is only worth 1 cent but here it is. From my first call to O when I spoke with a woman with a lovely British accent (Socha Radcliffe) I was treated me with great courtesy. After booking the cruise with her the next day I have had occasion to speak with her 2 more times in the past 2 weeks. It is always a pleasure. If she is any indication of the level of service (and I believe she is) that I will receive on Regatta, this for me is a very strong reason to stay with O for our next cruise.

Good luck with your next selection.

We think the food, service and itineraries are available on other cruise lines.

The main things that draw us to O are:

fellow cruisers - tend to be better educated and well traveled

NO KIDS!!

the cruise directors -- who are outstanding and contribute greatly to our enjoyment

....and the malteds!!! My DH now only will cruise on O for their hand-dipped malteds :D.

Seventeen days to go.

Ronnie

Tell Artie they will make him fat :D

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

My husband & I are also considering a cruise with Oceania, perhaps an eastern Mediterranean itinerary. As we have never cruised with Oceania, we think the line would be a wonderful fit, but are wondering about the dress code at dinner. My husband abhors wearing a jacket & tie. (bad past life experience as a horse thief who was no doubt strung up)!

We usually eat all our meals at the ship's buffet to alleviate any problem. Would this work with an Oceania cruise, or do the other men wear jackets & ties for dinner?

My husband & I are also considering a cruise with Oceania, perhaps an eastern Mediterranean itinerary. As we have never cruised with Oceania, we think the line would be a wonderful fit, but are wondering about the dress code at dinner. My husband abhors wearing a jacket & tie. (bad past life experience as a horse thief who was no doubt strung up)!

We usually eat all our meals at the ship's buffet to alleviate any problem. Would this work with an Oceania cruise, or do the other men wear jackets & ties for dinner?

No Jackets or ties on Oceania. The dress code throughout all of the ships is what they call "country club casual".

As long as his shirt has a collar, he will be ok :D

I've never even packed a jacket or tie for an Oceania cruise...

Yes, there will be some that wear them...but they are not required and those people are not in the majority...

I just bring "Dockers" (casual cotton long pants) and "sports shirts" (collared short sleeve shirts with buttons)...nice and comfortable...

He can dress like that each evening and be perfectly in place...

One of the best things about Oceania...Well...that and the food...

Your husband only needs a collared shirt for the Grand Dining Room in the evening and the specialty restaurant. My husband has never packed a jacket or a tie. We eat in shorts for breakfast and and lunch in the GDR. I believe you can wear what your want to the Terrace Cafe which is the buffet dining.

These are the benefits from the website:

Founder’s Club Cruise 100

• Founder’s Club membership pins
  • FREE CRUISE IN AN OWNER’S SUITE (certain restrictions apply)
  • Four complimentary Canyon Ranch spa treatments
  • Complimentary round-trip private car transportation (Primary Air gateways only)
  • Complimentary Discovery or Explorer Collection shore excursions
  • Genuine leather luggage set

Oh my! Does anyone if anybody has made it this high???

I think they're planning for the future with those requirements.

Never choose your cruises for "perks"...

To many people, it is not a matter of your past cruising history...You deserve great service because of THE CRUISE YOU ARE CURRENTLY ON AND PAYING FOR...not because of how many cruises you've been on with that cruise line before...R

Maybe one of the best statements I've ever read on these boards.

....and the malteds!!! My DH now only will cruise on O for their hand-dipped malteds :D.

Seventeen days to go.

Ronnie

I've stated before, one of the worst ice cream concoctions I've ever tasted. I tried them twice just to make sure I didn't get a bad one the first time. I guess we all have different tastes.

I think they're planning for the future with those requirements.

Maybe one of the best statements I've ever read on these boards.

I've stated before, one of the worst ice cream concoctions I've ever tasted. I tried them twice just to make sure I didn't get a bad one the first time. I guess we all have different tastes.

You must have them put in at least 4 scoops of ice cream and plenty of malt. My husband is the Malted Maven. He stands there and tells them how to make the perfect malted. If the straw does not stand up straight in the glass then the malted isn't up to par. I think you have to be a New Yorker to know what a true malted is :D. No offense to those of you not from the best city in the world.

Ronnie

PS - pay no attention to the fact that I live in Central NJ. I was dragged there kicking and screaming 40 years ago :eek: but my heart remains in NY City.

You must have them put in at least 4 scoops of ice cream and plenty of malt. My husband is the Malted Maven. He stands there and tells them how to make the perfect malted. If the straw does not stand up straight in the glass then the malted isn't up to par. I think you have to be a New Yorker to know what a true malted is :D. No offense to those of you not from the best city in the world.

Ronnie

PS - pay no attention to the fact that I live in Central NJ. I was dragged there kicking and screaming 40 years ago :eek: but my heart remains in NY City.

I'll just leave it as I said before, we all have different tastes. But I am amused by your statement about New Yorkers.

Archived