Greek Cruise on The Star Princess

lewje

I am on the Star next Tues for 12 nights cruising the Greek Islands, with all the unrest in Athens do you think the ship will dock there or will another port be put on also will the small Greek islands be affected, Thanks :confused:

I am on the Star next Tues for 12 nights cruising the Greek Islands, with all the unrest in Athens do you think the ship will dock there or will another port be put on also will the small Greek islands be affected, Thanks :confused:

Spoke with my TA about this very issue today. She told me Princess has not issued any statements, so it's business as usual.

I have not heard of any unrest on the islands, they are very dependant on tourism. I would just stay away from the main square in Athens where the goverment offices are, and not use public transit as there are rotating strikes.

As with any political situation, it is difficult to predict what can happen from port to port. We just returned from the Star - June 11 from Venice to Rome. Absolutely no problem. The day before we arrived in Athens, there was a general strike and the Captain advised us regarding public transportaation eetc. We were on a private tour. Went to the Parliament Buiding for at least 30 minutes. a few demonstrators across the street but generally very well behaved. We did not encounter any problems anywhere and in all our stops there was not any political chatter from guides or anyone we ran into. We did interact quite a bit with many folks. My perception is most of the problems may be confined to Athens but again who knows what will happen.

I see no reason for cruise ships to alter their itineraries.

I live in Athens and with the exception of June 28th - 29th, things are running smooth.

June 28th - 29th a general strike affected ancient sites, like the Acropolis and public museums, like the National Archaeological Museum, which were closed. Buses also were not available.

On these dates subway was running smoothly, shops and restaurants were also open while private museums ( like the Acropolis Museum ) were open and full of people.

Any problems that appeared were confined on these two days, while all sites museums and public transportation were available next dawn.

Problems and disruptions in Athens are appearing on the strike days, appx. 5 - 6 days a year, usually Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday. No problems appear beyond the strike dates .

Currently no future strike has been announced, so we 'll have to wait and see. We don't know of any upcoming strike. Considering the general situation in Athens, i 'd say its "business as normal" except the quite hot weather.

Situation on islands is normal too.

Archived