Helsinki plans - opinions please

Do I have the transportation correct for my plans in Helsinki?

Docked at LHB 10am - 6pm

Hernessaari to Sibelius - take Bus 14B from quay to stop Töölön kirjasto

Sibelius to Rock Church - southward bus 14, 14B or 18 to Kauppakorkeakoulut

Rock church to ferry dock - tram 3T at Kauppakorkeakoulut to Senaatintori stop and walk to Kauppatori, at east end of Market Square before bridge is ferry dock to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress

Take ferry back and walk to Uspenski Cathedral

Walk through Market Square for quick shopping

Walk up the Esplanade to Stockmann Department Store

Return to quay on Tram3B (stop is right in front of department store on Mannerheim road) Go southwards - platform farther away from the store

Tram stop near harbour is about half a mile walk to quay LHB

Do I have the transportation correct for my

plans in Helsinki?

Looks ok to me.

Sibelius park - there will be a little walk from the bus top to the park. then same way back and the bus stop is now a block further northwards from the one you stepped off.

Kauppatori = Market Square so you'll pass through it on your way to the ferry.

• 4 weeks later...
Looks ok to me.

Sibelius park - there will be a little walk from the bus top to the park. then same way back and the bus stop is now a block further northwards from the one you stepped off.

Kauppatori = Market Square so you'll pass through it on your way to the ferry.

hi

I have been reading a number of your threads and found them so interesting I am just information overloaded. Could I please ask you for some advice re our plans for Helsinki - it is our first visit and we are really looking forward to it but want to optimise the day.

We are docking at 10am and leaving at 5pm at LHB on the 11th August.

we would like to visit the fortress, market square, railway station , rock church and (esplanade) stockmans department store.

Can you advise out best route.

From what I have read the 16 bus to market square from east market square the ferry to the fortress. From Senate square the 3T to the rock church, I have then read it is an uphill walk to the rock church is it a very steep hill and approx how long is the walk? I am travelling with my parents and my mum although quite fit does struggle with steep hills with her hip.

How do we then get from the rock church to the department store is it back the same route? Any other sights you would recommend along the way taking into account timings? Can we catch the bus back from "Stockmans" to the ship?

Hope this makes sense - thanks in anticiaption of your help.

Regards

Lorraine

Do I have the transportation correct for my plans in Helsinki? Docked at LHB 10am - 6pm

Sibelius, Rock Church, Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, Uspenski Cathedral, Market Square for quick shopping, Return to quay, etc.

On paper, your plan sounds good. I just want to added that those times for docking, might narrow down your "NET TIME" as you consider actual times you are on the ground walking from the ship in the morning and the earlier time back you must be dockside BEFORE the ship sails at 6 pm. Then, with public transit, there is the time waiting for buses, allowing for any delays, confusion on directions, etc. It all takes time and you need to build in a little "cushion" in your schedules.

Helskinki is a nice town. We had a wonderful sunny day while there. Lots of charm, nice architecture, history, etc. Below are a few of my visuals from when we were there.

Here's the web location for the official tourism office in Helsinki.

http://www.visithelsinki.fi/In_English/Visitor/Helsinki/Tourist_Information.iw3

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,730 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,775 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

This Helsinki park has a stainless steel sculpture dedicated to composer Sibelius who is best-known for his symphonic work:

1A-HelsinkiParkSculpture.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, or Temppeliaukion Kirkko, is carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design.:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Uspenski Cathedral, Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the market area:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Helsinki’s main market is right on the water with lots of goods and foods for sale:

1A-Helsinki-Mark-Dwt.jpg

Looking close at the dome of the Cathedral on Senate Square:

1A-Helsinki-ChurDome.jpg

Archived