Outfit idea for boys in MDR!

as a mother of a small child, who ate 12 out of 14 nights on a TA cruise - (she was 5) and was dressed correctly - I don't understand why you feel your child does not have to wear the requested dress code?

todays grown up in the MDR wearing a tee shirt that says I LOVE BAGLES (yes I saw that one.. ) on formal night, may have been yesterdays child in a tee shirt.

I think that boys look smart in dress pants/shorts and a dress shirt. :D It makes for nice memories, and great photos.

I was assuming the OP was joking...

But... in all honesty - it is 100% easier to dress up a little girl than a boy!!! You have 1 million options. we have 2. (dockers and dress shirt or dress pants and dress shirt.)

Most little girls (especially at 5 still) LOVE to get dressed up. Little boys do NOT feel the same way!

I feel silly putting my child in the same outfit he wears to school to go to church, but that's the way it is. --- school uniform = dockers in tan, black or navy with any solid color polo shirt. Church clothes = dockers and a polo shirt. Our big variety is that he can wear a striped shirt to church. wow. :rolleyes: (I do not force my 6 year old son to suffer in a stiff cotton shirt - nor do I have any desire to care for cotton shirts for a child... LOL)

eBay!!! Especially this time of year as lots of people are selling outfits they bought for their kids to wear once to a wedding or something. Great uk stores for this type of thing are monsoon or next. Likelihood my son will only wear these a few times too.

I have picked up a couple of lovely linen suits with either jacket or waistcoat for my son (3). He wears then with a smart polo or plain t. I also think smart shorts and a collared shirt are ok for younger boys if they feel more comfortable as better to have a child who is comfortable and enjoying the experience than not.

eBay!!! Especially this time of year as lots of people are selling outfits they bought for their kids to wear once to a wedding or something. Great uk stores for this type of thing are monsoon or next. Likelihood my son will only wear these a few times too.

I have picked up a couple of lovely linen suits with either jacket or waistcoat for my son (3). He wears then with a smart polo or plain t. I also think smart shorts and a collared shirt are ok for younger boys if they feel more comfortable as better to have a child who is comfortable and enjoying the experience than not.

We've got a linen suit from Marks & Spencer that he can wear with the jacket or without. We also have a couple of linen shirts that he can mix and match with the trousers. If (when) my 5 year old drops food down his front at dinner, I can send them to the laundry. We also have some nice striped shirts he can wear. It's important that he's comfortable but it's also important, IMO, to follow the suggested dress code as closely as possible.

"I love bagels." Really? :rolleyes:

I think OP's post was tongue in cheek.

I agree with the girls being easier. DD(5) loves buying new dresses. I'm sure there aren't too many little boys asking for new dress shirts and jackets. :)

Rich

My kids (daughter 5 and son 4) both love formal nights. They call it fancy night.

My daughter is easy .... she loves wearing her party dresses and every night is formal night for her.

My son .... is easy too. I disagree with anyone who says dressing up a little boy is hard. I buy him (year round, not just for cruises) black, navy, and beige pants from the Children's Place. He has a number of golf shirts for casual nights. He also has collared (wrinkle-free) cotton shirts which he will wear from Children's Place or other stores. For formal night, he has a couple of those dress shirt/clip-on tie combos that you see at just about every department store including Target and Walmart. I usually buy these a bit large so he gets a couple of year's wear out of them. Between cruising, and christenings,weddings, etc. he get's enough use out of them to justify the cost.

When we get back to the cabin to dress for dinner, the firsr question they ask (yes, even my 4 year old son who was 3 on our last cruise) is "is it fancy dress or casual dres for dinner" and they pick out their own clothes.

But... in all honesty - it is 100% easier to dress up a little girl than a boy!!! You have 1 million options. we have 2. (dockers and dress shirt or dress pants and dress shirt.)

Most little girls (especially at 5 still) LOVE to get dressed up. Little boys do NOT feel the same way!

If I'd had boys, as toddlers and at age 5 I'd have dressed them in Eton suits.
The beauty of those worn-once outfits is that smart consumers can pick them up at consignment stores for pennies on the dollar.

I was assuming the OP was joking...

Yes I was Robin! Thanks for seeing through it! My DS is wearing dress slacks/button down and tie for formal or he will go to Kids Club.

I still think the shirt is cute, but he could wear it on a casual night with some jeans. If he did wear Madras Plaid shorts, I would put a polo with it and he would be fine-IMO.

I'm convinced the post was a joke...

That being said...

My eldest (now 15) has spent the last four years wearing a suit and tie (not a uniform...but a regular suit and tie) to school where the dress code is just that. This past year when he bought new suits and shirts, he even included a beautiful Italian-made pinstripe suit (on sale, so OK with mom) and a French cuff shirt. He has simply learned that there is a time and place for every manner of dressing, both casual and formal.

When he goes off to college in a year, he'll probably dress casually like everyone else, but I am convinced that his suit-wearing years will prove valuable later on in life.

I'm convinced the post was a joke...

That being said...

My eldest (now 15) has spent the last four years wearing a suit and tie (not a uniform...but a regular suit and tie) to school where the dress code is just that. This past year when he bought new suits and shirts, he even included a beautiful Italian-made pinstripe suit (on sale, so OK with mom) and a French cuff shirt. He has simply learned that there is a time and place for every manner of dressing, both casual and formal.

When he goes off to college in a year, he'll probably dress casually like everyone else, but I am convinced that his suit-wearing years will prove valuable later on in life.

Thank you :) You have given me hope that it is possible to move past this culture of hyper-casual dress. Our son is 3, and I do hope we instill in him a love of "dressing appropriately" for the occasion. His dad likes to dress, so I am hopeful that suits and ties are not items that he turns up his nose at. The sight of kids dressed in nice clothes, behaving appropriately always makes me smile.

You have given me hope that it is possible to move past this culture of hyper-casual dress... His dad likes to dress, so I am hopeful that suits and ties are not items that he turns up his nose at.

Dressing, like everything else, is a learned behaviour. If a child is raised on processed food, it is unlikely he or she will grow up to fully appreciate the taste of food in its natural form. It's a normal reaction. It's not the child's fault.

Likewise, if a child wears only casual clothes, whatever the occasion, how can we expect him or her to "suddenly know" come adulthood how to dress for the not-so-casual events in life?

If your husband like to dress up, that will have a trickle effect on your son. Don't make an issue of clothes, just be consistent in the messages you send. It will pay off. Every school morning, when I see my son standing in the kitchen putting on his tie (double knot, no less) without so much as looking in a mirror, I know that he will never go to a job interview later in life without wearing a suit. It's a good feeling. :)

The Goodwill in our town has great name brand navy blazers. I bought them for the boys, passed them down, returned them and bought bigger ones for years and years and years! They all learned about to tie a "real tie" because of cruising. Some of my very favorite ship portraits are of the boys (we always got a picture of them without us). Land's End has great oxford cloth shirts in a million sizes, Goodwill gets you the ties, too. Throw on some pants and TopSiders and young boys are good to go. Casual nights the polo shirts with the khakis work great and if they are inspired they can throw the blazer on. My youngest went to prom this year and ended up doing the ties for many of his friends. Learning how to instinctively dress for a particular occasion is a valuable life lesson. Learning to tie a tie is priceless. Fortunately my husband has no problem with suits and ties so it's not just something the boys saw on TV...they saw it in real life.

That said the t-shirt is cute.

Archived