Caviar Brand?

Does anyone know what brand of caviar SD serves for evening appetizers as well as during the Splash?

DW and I sailed last New Years on SDI and are returning this holiday. I seemed to have an allergic reaction to the caviar. I never had this happen beforehand and haven't had it happen since. I try to enjoy it as often as possible. My throat got itchy and swallowing got a tad difficult. I tried it on several nights to make sure it wasn't something else.

Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to a specific brand of caviar? I sure would hate to have to abstain from one of my favorite indulgences.

Cheers,

Jason

As one who had developed an allergy to caviar, I can tell you from my experience that I have a reaction regardless of the brand:mad:

Was a very sad day for me when I learned I could no longer indulge in one of my favorite things ... caviar. On our last trip the chef made me a wonderful tasting tray of goodies I could eat instead of the caviar (just let the HotMan or Maitre D know).

Good luck!

As I am just recovering from a dreadful case of "Pine Nut Mouth" (honestly! You can google it) I am all the more sympathetic. :eek:

Would just advise caution with potential allergies. Even if it appears to be brand specific, may not want to take a chance so far out and about.

And I'm NOT saying that just there will be more caviar for me. ;)

I just returned from SDI in the Baltic yesterday and was just amazed to see this thread. I have enjoyed caviar on my 5 previous SD cruises and on other occasions and never had a problem. But on embarkation day this time, things did not go well. After checking in, I had 2 small servings of caviar with a glass of champagne. Within 30 minutes, I went into anaphylactic shock. I have never done this before so during the process I did not know what was happening. I felt hot, the air was stuffy, my husband said my eyes were glazed looking, and my voice became squeaky. So I decided I need to go to the room. He went with me and just before we got to the door, I collapsed (although I did not pass out). The crew delivering bags to rooms saw it and called the ship doctor. He was there in 1 minute. They carried me into my room, he gave me an injection, and put me on oxygen. The doctor was very attentive, coming back to check on me periodically. I was excused from the life boat drill and by 6 pm the doctor said I was breathing normally and would be OK. So I got dressed and went to dinner. He sent an email to the kitchen saying that I could not eat caviar and they should take precautions to not cross contaminate any food that I ate. My husband asked the chef about the caviar and he said it was from California. We do not know the brand, but I was told not to eat any caviar. Many thanks to the SD crew and Dr Cruz for taking care of me!

OMG, Whatnot! What a terrible thing to have happen! I can only imagine how scary that was. They say you can suddenly develop an allergy to something that you've never had a problem with before -- how come it couldn't be to something like brussel sprouts?? Glad you were ok and that Dr Cruz took good care of you!

Vandrefalk

:eek::eek::eek: whatnot, I am SO sorry this happened, but was glad to read that you got through it OK. My mother, who ate scallops for years, suddenly went into shock after eating scallops one night at a restaurant. It was very scary, especially since she had no previous food allergies/issues. Like with you, it hit hard, without any warning.

Anyway, I am glad (though not surprised) that the SD staff came immediately to your aid and the doc was able to get you back on your feet so quickly.

Can't wait hear all about your cruise! Please give us a review when you get caught up again. :)

Can't wait hear all about your cruise! Please give us a review when you get caught up again. :)

Just saw that you updated your other thread, whatnot.

Thanks for the recap - can't wait to hear more about your trip! ;)

I would avoid any food products from California, and I live here! This state is completely dysfunctional. I would not be surprised if the caviar was actually from China, laced with all kinds of nasty stuff, with California stamped on the can, and some official bribed to let it through...

Even Iphones are Chinese POS that die in a few months. We are on our third one in 18 months (ol' Ragnar is a slow learner....)

I would avoid any food products from California, and I live here! This state is completely dysfunctional. I would not be surprised if the caviar was actually from China, laced with all kinds of nasty stuff, with California stamped on the can, and some official bribed to let it through...

Even Iphones are Chinese POS that die in a few months. We are on our third one in 18 months (ol' Ragnar is a slow learner....)

Ragnar, Y'all should leave the Left Coast behind and move to the beaches of Northwest, FL. Sounds like you might fit in.:eek:

Sounds inviting, but my favorite outdoor activities are surfing, mountin-biking, and drinking margs by our bug-free pool :D Oh, and driving to skiing/boarding in the winter, to escape the 75 degree heat...

Despite my low opinion of Californians (ol' Ragnar included), Southern California can't be beat as a place to live.

However, the missus and I are eyeing the caribbean for our old age, since the water is warmer. And we want to get a nice, big, stable catamaran. SoCal is great for just plain sailing, but not many places to go, nothing like Jost van Dyke :rolleyes: There are plenty of "hills" in the caribbean for mountain-biking and I spotted some nice surf spots on the northern sides of many of the islands we've been to. May move there for a year and rent to see how we like it. So far, St Maarten looks like the most "livable" place. But I think a few more fact-finding cruises are in order :)

Interesting thread.

Most "caviar" these days is sturgeon eggs from Oklahoma. It is actually quite a big business here. When we were flying Air Tahiti Nui in F, I was amazed to see the caviar (served in a jar) was from my home state of Oklahoma.

Archived