agapey chocolate tour

ehrlichpuppy

Has anyone done this tour yet? I just made a request for 12/23. Thank you.

Fran

I also requested the same day (morning tour) for two of us, but have been told they are still waiting 3 others requesting the same date. The minimum number is 5 and as we will be leaving for our cruise next Friday there's now seemingly not much hope :(.

We will do the chocolate factory tour on 12/16 and our cruise ends on 12/18. I will try to post about it, but it is so close to Christmas when we get home and I have a lot to get done.

How about a two liner it is worth it, and yum and then a longer review to foillow?

We will do the chocolate factory tour on 12/16 and our cruise ends on 12/18. I will try to post about it, but it is so close to Christmas when we get home and I have a lot to get done.

I'm booked on the Caribbean Princess for April and would love ANY info you could provide!

Today we toured Agapey Chocolate Factory in Barbados. First of all do not pay a taxi driver $10 to take you there because it is only a 5 minute walk once you are outside the cruise terminal gates and very easy to find. We asked how to get there and most of the drivers acted like they didn’t know where it was or they wanted to charge us $10 when you only pay $2 a person to get a taxi ride in to town which is much further. A nice driver took us for $5 and we walked back. Agapey is in the back of the building so once you reach RotoPlastics (old Colgate Palmolive Bldg) walk to the very back and you will see the door with Agapey above it.

I will not spoil it by telling you all about the tour because we felt it was well worth the $10 cost and enjoyed talking to Derek (sp) the owner/head chocolatier. So, if you want to know what happens there please take the tour. You can purchase the chocolate bars in the cruise terminal shopping area at Best of Barbados.

• 1 month later...
They just recently raised the price of the tour to $15 pp. I waited too long to book ours so I had to pay the higher price. Will be there a week from Wednesday.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Yes, I see $15 now, website much more info on it now than previous. I bet they figured out what a success, and I see two tour times also.

Our group from the Serenade did the tour two weeks ago. As SusieO said you don't need a taxi to get there, none of the drivers even knew about a chocolate factory, had to tell them the old Colgate Polmolive building. We actually hired a driver for the day as we had other things in mind after the Agapey tour. I also won't go into details so it won't spoil the tour. You do have to sign a release form saying you won't reveal any of the process or the workings of the machines, one is an invention of Derek's. Our tour was about an hour and a half long and very educational. You do some tasting, get an explanation of the process from roasting the beans to the end product. It's a small ( 2 man ) operation. The tour was well worth the price and time, especially for us chocoholics:D This made a great start to a very enjoyable day in Barbados, followed by Flying Fish for lunch with a Rum chaser at Mount Gay.

I see that Derek took our advise and probably that of others and raised his price, we told him that the tour was worth twice what we paid. He's a small business and really could use our support. And the end product is WONDERFUL !

Some of the best I've ever tasted.

I'll try to answer any questions I can.

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...
Our group from the Serenade did the tour two weeks ago. As SusieO said you don't need a taxi to get there, none of the drivers even knew about a chocolate factory, had to tell them the old Colgate Polmolive building. We actually hired a driver for the day as we had other things in mind after the Agapey tour. I also won't go into details so it won't spoil the tour. You do have to sign a release form saying you won't reveal any of the process or the workings of the machines, one is an invention of Derek's. Our tour was about an hour and a half long and very educational. You do some tasting, get an explanation of the process from roasting the beans to the end product. It's a small ( 2 man ) operation. The tour was well worth the price and time, especially for us chocoholics:D This made a great start to a very enjoyable day in Barbados, followed by Flying Fish for lunch with a Rum chaser at Mount Gay.

I see that Derek took our advise and probably that of others and raised his price, we told him that the tour was worth twice what we paid. He's a small business and really could use our support. And the end product is WONDERFUL !

Some of the best I've ever tasted.

I'll try to answer any questions I can.

Ernie

I'd love the name and contact information for the guide/tour co. you hired. I'd also like to know the cost, and the itinerary you did and what you liked the best. We'll be in Barbados is April via the Summit.

Thank you.

I'd love the name and contact information for the guide/tour co. you hired. I'd also like to know the cost, and the itinerary you did and what you liked the best. We'll be in Barbados is April via the Summit.

Thank you.

The guide /tour company was me, I arranged the chocolate factory tour on the website http://www.agapey.com/chocolatefactory.html#tour

The price has gone up a little since we've been there, I think it's $15 US per person now. We just got a taxi driver at the port and told him what we wanted to do , charged us $15 per person to take us to the chocolate factory ( which is very close to the port , you can walk there ) then to The Harbor Cafe where we had our Flying Fish lunch and then to Mount Gay for a tour of the rum factory ( $8 per person) and back to the cruise dock. Get a taxi dispatcher at the port and tell him what and where you want to go and negotiate a price. We did tip the driver, he waited for us at all the stops. It was about 1 1/2 hours at the factory, 11/2 for lunch and about an hour at the rum factory. Since I planed this specifically for us we liked it all.

• 3 weeks later...
Someone had posted on a different thread that this company will be offering tours "soon". Does anyone know if this is true & will there be samples ? After all, chocolate IS one of the main food groups- chocolate, crunchy, salty, nutty & sweet LOL. Anyway, we would possibly be interested - maybe a chocolate/rum tour

Awesome, Don’t miss this opportunity! All of the raw materials and machinery was explained and operated to give you a complete insight as to the mechanics of how the chocolate was derived. The session was limited to only ten allowing for complete interaction between the participants and Alex. I believe that with additional marketing of both high end retail stores and internet sales he could become a major supplier of an exceptional product. (I wish him the best!) It's all on one floor

We did the tour a couple weeks ago. It was very interesting and personal. The owner has a wonderful outlook and gives a great tour. It is a small two room operations with two people operating the machinery. Samples are given, but more important everything is explained in great detail. Great Dark Chocolate!!

we also took the tour in January. My personal opinion is: skip the tour but BUY THE CHOCOLATE. There are certainly better ways to spend a morning in the barbados. However, the chocolate he produces is outstanding!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Agapey chocolate factory tour 1 week ago and was well worth it Hard to find since there is no sign The tour explained everyting from the different sugars they use and cocao and how the chocolate is made It s a 2 man operation and the owner Alex did the tour You sample the different chocolates too and they are fabulous You can only buy it there or in some local stores in BarbadosHe has 3 different kinds and was in the process of starting to make chocolate covered almondsBrought some home as gifts and everybody loved it Will od it again next time in Barbados

What a great little tour! I'm sure this is more informative than the tour we took at Hershey's! :p lol

Too bad we are on an all day sailing trip in Barbados and won't be able to make this tour, will have to remember about it next time we are in Barbados.

If anyone has info on where to buy the chocolate in or around the port, let me know. I'd be sure to pick up some to try, and take some home!

Edit to add: I found the info! Thanks for the person who posted it!!

You can purchase the chocolate bars in the cruise terminal shopping area at Best of Barbados

Edited by ibcnusoon

• 3 months later...
What a great little tour! I'm sure this is more informative than the tour we took at Hershey's! :p lol

Too bad we are on an all day sailing trip in Barbados and won't be able to make this tour, will have to remember about it next time we are in Barbados.

If anyone has info on where to buy the chocolate in or around the port, let me know. I'd be sure to pick up some to try, and take some home!

Edit to add: I found the info! Thanks for the person who posted it!!

You can purchase the chocolate bars in the cruise terminal shopping area at Best of Barbados

Best of Barbados in the cruise ship terminal has the chocolate. The day we took the tour we bought out the store's stock!

Best of Barbados in the cruise ship terminal has the chocolate. The day we took the tour we bought out the store's stock!

Great tip! We spent hours looking for the chocolate in town to no avail. When we returned to the terminal, there it was!

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk