Tips: Hair After Swimming

vacationfun

Ladies with short, layered hair. What do you do with your hair after it gets wet from swimming and then dries again? I don't look good in ball caps. Coming back on board after a shore excursion, I hate to have to go back to the room and shower and style my hair just to go get some lunch. After all...how much fun is vacation if you have to be constantly blow-drying your hair?? But my thin hair truly looks awful when it dries after being wet. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Could you use hair gel and just fluff it up after it gets wet? I have longer hair so I just usually pull it back in a pony tail since it takes forever to dry, but I think if your hair didn't take too long to dry and you could do that, it'd be cute.

I'm thinking also the gel. My hair is layered and responds well to lots of finger combing, scrunching and head shaking - although admittedly I have a lot of natural curl. On a ship, it's not worth it to try and dry it into the smooth style that I try to wear at home, too much humidity and wind. Try some gel that will help hold your fingercurl/scrunches in place.

How about a straw hat? Here's the one I take on all my cruises. It protects your face and neck while in the sun, too.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=34494&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=3663&cat4=1042&shop_method=pp&feat=dp27

Anyone ever get their braided in Mexico or Caribbean nat Port:confused: ??

If your hair is long enough to get into the tiniest pony tail and I mean tiny, you can use one of the elastic pony tails with the fake hair attached. I just got my hair cut to chin length and using gel can get it into the pony tail. I am going to take them with me for when I go swimming. Also good for formal night because it makes it look like I went to the salon for an up do.

Carol

My hair is shoulder length and when I tie it back in an elastic the ponytail looks too short so after it's in the elastic I just twist it up and clip it with one of those hair clips. It holds great because it's really the elastic that's holding it in place.

There are a lot of hair products out there now designed specifically for use after a day at the beach Of course, I cannot think of any specific ones to save my life, but I'm sure they are fairly easy to find, and I bet other posters will come to the rescue with the details. Personally, I usually just put my hair back in a panytail, but NEVER without first spraying it with some leave in conditioner (an essential in my beach bag) and combing it out...

I have the same type of hairstyle and after shore excursions I just pull my hairback with a headband or my sunglasses and then go grab some food. I do not really care what my hair looks like after a shore excursion I'm on vacation and most likely never going to see these people again. It's not like I go around looking like a bum, but I have few options with my hair so I just go with it.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming! Bet others are getting some tips as well. My hair is too short for all the ponytail ideas, but possibly other readers can use them. Anybody familiar with a good website for cool looking scarves or turban-type hair accessories? I can check out some hats and visors in a dept. store too.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions thus far. Please keep them coming! Bet others are getting some tips as well. My hair is too short for all the ponytail ideas, but possibly other readers can use them. Anybody familiar with a good website for cool looking scarves or turban-type hair accessories? I can check out some hats and visors in a dept. store too.

I have the same problem you do . . . my hair looks horrible (oh, that sounds bad . . . I don't mean to imply that your hair looks horrible) . . . anyway, after a day in the sun (sweat) or in the water, I'm embarrassed to be seen . . . I look like a drowned rat. My hair is not layered . . . there isn't enough hair to layer . . . it's baby fine (fly away), thin and bone straight. Looks fine when I put gel in and blow dry (sort of like a dutch boy style . . . all one length turned slightly under and bangs sort of brushed to the side) . . . but who wants to go to all the trouble of washing and blow drying two or three times a day when on vacation (or any time for that matter). My hair isn't long enough for a pony tail . . . even a tiny one. If you put a little bowl on your head and cut around it . . . that would be the length of my hair . . . bangs to my eyebrows and just over the ears on the sides and real short in the back. On my last cruise, I wore a wig in the evenings but will not go through that again. I've tried a hat but it's too hot and besides . . . one can't wear a hat for lunch in the dining room.

Try paulayoung.com. They sell wigs, but if you click on hair accessories, they have turbans, other items as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Just bought 4 styles of clip ons for the cruise as they were on sale.

Heh.. No one really knows what my hair looks like without them!

Liz

Have you seen all the cute scarves they are using as belts now? All different colors, prints, textures. I bought one for my teen daughter to wear with her jeans and capris and she put in her hair as a headband! Looked darling! Even if they are long, I guess the "tails" are supposed to show anyway.

Have you seen all the cute scarves they are using as belts now? All different colors, prints, textures. I bought one for my teen daughter to wear with her jeans and capris and she put in her hair as a headband! Looked darling! Even if they are long, I guess the "tails" are supposed to show anyway.

I do that as well! Those scarves are great, and so versitile! I've seen them worn many many ways (not that I'd do all of these, but heres some of them):

-belt

-tie at waist on a black dress

-headband

-accessory to adorn handbags

-armband (ends up looking like a very cute bracelet sometimes if that makes sense)

-tied at a bow on the neck (a la the '50s)

-as a top (tube top over bathing suits, or I've seen VERY daring girls get them to work as just a regular top (either tube top or as kind of an "X" shape in front, if you can imagine))

and probably more than aren't coming to mind at the moment. Okay, sorry that was slightly OT, but hey, it might help you rationalize getting one since its so useful ;)

I'm in the same boat (so to speak) as you are. I personally hate the way I look after I have been in the water. I have a round face and don't look good in hats of any kind. I can wear my hair pulled back....but really need my bangs. I'm low maintence at home....but high maintence on cruises. (Go figure) I usually do the suggestion of pulling the hair up and swimming only to the neck. I don't cruise until October....so I think I may try out some of these suggestions.

OceanDreams

Great idea about the LLBean hat. How does the one size fits all really fit. We do alot of shopping with LLBean. In fact, we just opened our snorkeling sets we purchased with a gift certificate. They are wonderful! I'll be anxious to hear more about the fit of the hat before I order one for myself. The style is cute.

Archived