Cartagena, Spain on a Sunday.....Questions

SF

Our ship doesn't dock in Cartagena, Spain until 11am on a Sunday and most attractions from what I've read are only open until about 2PM.

1. How far from the port is the Roman Theater and how long should we allow to visit it? What's the best way to get there from the port?

2. How far from the Roman Theater are the other attractions such as:

...Castle of la Concepción

...Decumano”, the “Three Kings’ Square” for a view of the remains of the thermal baths and shops.

...Punic Wall

3. Do you think the stores and restaurants on Calle Mayor will be open at all or even after 2PM?

Wondering how much we're actually going to see being that it's a Sunday.

Any suggestions on what to visit first? Which order?

Any maps of the area?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Our ship doesn't dock in Cartagena, Spain until 11am on a Sunday and most attractions from what I've read are only open until about 2PM.

1. How far from the port is the Roman Theater and how long should we allow to visit it? What's the best way to get there from the port?

2. How far from the Roman Theater are the other attractions such as:

...Castle of la Concepción

...Decumano”, the “Three Kings’ Square” for a view of the remains of the thermal baths and shops.

...Punic Wall

3. Do you think the stores and restaurants on Calle Mayor will be open at all or even after 2PM?

Wondering how much we're actually going to see being that it's a Sunday.

Any suggestions on what to visit first? Which order?

Any maps of the area?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

Cartagena is a very walkable city. The ship docks very, very close. The Roman theatre is about a 10 minute walk, although up a hill (or steps). I'm sure the restaurants/cafes will be open, not sure about stores. Once you get to the theatre, it depends on your historic interest (and maybe the heat). We were there for about 30 minutes. You will receive a port map when you get to Cartagena.

Hi SF, it appears we are on the same Liberty TA sailing.

Here are the opening times for the places I looked up for a Sunday in October:

Roman Theatre and Museum open 10am – 2 pm. Cost €5 or €2 for theatre only (read to allow 1 hr to visit)

Tourist Bus runs 10-1 and 4-6 for €4.25

Tourist boat harbor tour with departures on the half hour from 10:30-1:30 and 3:30-5:30 for €5.75

House of Fortune open 10-2:30 and cost €2.5

Panoramic lift from Gisbert Street up to Castle runs 10-2:30 and 4-7:30 for €1

Castle of the Conception open 10-2:30 and 4-7:30 with €3.75 entrance fee

ARQUA: National Museum of Underwater Archaeology open 10-3 and located at the port

Municipal Archaeological Museum open 11-2 with free admission but requires a cab or bus.

Now to choose one place to visit upon arrival then another for late afternoon since we are in port until 7 pm. Other than the Archaeological Museum I think everything else is within walking distance.

Here is a link to RCCL’s map/port guide with some locations marked:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/port_explorer/Cartagena_Spain_EN_RCI.pdf

Hi Joy,

Thanks for posting the times and map of all the attractions. I've seen the "roll call" thread for this sailing....all you guys are so well organized and have so many activities planned.:) Seems like a nice group on this cruise.

As for Cartagena, guess we'll just have to pick one attraction before 2:30PM and one for right after 4PM. Do you know if you need to use the panoramic lift to go to either the ruins or the castle? Kind of thinking the lift will be very crowded ...don't think it allows too many people to go up at one time. Don't want to waste our time waiting in line for a scenic lift when there is so much else to see in such a short time.

Any suggestions for the other ports?

Afternoon, SF, so you have actually booked, I hadn't added you to our Liberty roll Call yet, I think many of us are just walking around, we don't have any tours planned for there ourselves. As far as Cadiz, we are going to do a ships tour, the 8:30 White Villages & Countryside, CD34 and for Tanerife, the Northern Island Panoramic TF18, then for La Palma , the North Shore, SZ16. Oh look for a bunch of people wearing the silicone/rubber bracelets, I will be bringing those to hand out so we can recognize each other as we tour around.

Gay

Hi Gay,

Yes, we left a deposit the other day and it looks like we are going but won't confirm definitely until final payment is due. Still waiting to find out if dates will work for us.

We usually don't take the ships tours but this time around we also may be interested in the White Villages and Countryside one like you mentioned. Sounds interesting and not to badly priced. Did you book all your tours already?

I noticed online that for this ship we'll be able to book our entertainment ahead as well...am I correct? I know the bigger ships (Oasis and Allure) allow this but I thought I noticed Liberty was also on the list.

By the way....I love the t-shirts and other items you guys came up with.:)

Afternoon, the only other tours we booked thru Joyce and Marcia are the Pre cruise Montserrat on the 28th, and Malaga/Alhambra. we were going to do Seville, but due to its cost, & length of tour, 8 hrs, I felt that it was cutting the time to close not being a ship sponsored tour, so cancelled the Seville tour with Joyce. It our first time to Cadiz and felt we were better staying there and seeing the port.

The entertainment from what I see, can be reserved but closer to the sail date. I don't know if you know this or not, but Elenor has cancelled the cruise, due to her husband Mike's sudden and fatile heart attack a week ago. Elenor was doing our web site, so our RC is a bit stunned right now. I have booked our tours for Cadiz and Tanerife already so have 3 ship tours booked.

Gay

Yes, I read the sad news about Michael and posted our condolences to Elenor. I'm amazed that with everything she's going through now she still finds the time to post and worry about others.

We usually don't book ship excursions but I've also been researching the White Villages and Countryside tour. Sounds interesting. Like you we didn't want to travel to Seville and spend so many hours in a bus. Should we wish to travel a few hours away from a port we'd do it in Malaga and see Alhambra.

Tanerife, the Northern Island Panoramic TF18, then for La Palma , the North Shore, SZ16. Oh look for a bunch of people wearing the silicone/rubber bracelets, I will be bringing those to hand out so we can recognize each other as we tour around.

Gay...

From what I read tour SZ16 is the Volcano and Wine one in La Palma. Is that the one you are taking or is it the North Island SZ 15? We are trying to decide between either that one (SZ16) or Caldera de Taburiente - SZ14.

As for Tenerife it's between Canadas del Teide (TF27) or

Northern Island Panoramic (TF18).

For Cadiz, I had highly recommended the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art horse show in Jerez. We are attending for a second time—we enjoyed it that much the first trip!

http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm

Also note, Nov 1 is a national holiday—All Saints Day—so if you just hang out in Cadiz I have read they will be celebrating there, so another good day if you don’t want to get outside the city and the port is right in town. I think most stores will be closed, but street markets with food and wine should be in abundance for the holiday.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/spanish-festivals/all-saints-day.htm

For Cadiz, I had highly recommended the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art horse show in Jerez. We are attending for a second time—we enjoyed it that much the first trip!

http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm

Also note, Nov 1 is a national holiday—All Saints Day—so if you just hang out in Cadiz I have read they will be celebrating there, so another good day if you don’t want to get outside the city and the port is right in town. I think most stores will be closed, but street markets with food and wine should be in abundance for the holiday.

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/spanish-festivals/all-saints-day.htm

We definitely plan to walk around Cadiz but I think we're also going to book the White Villages and Countryside Tour. Sounds like with the holiday going on the day we're there things will be very festive. :)

Archived