can you do my time dinner for one night

Can you reserve a my time dinner reservation for one night and traditional for remaining? Thanks

No, but you can have the same effect by choosing my time and selecting a standing reservation at the same time as traditional. Just tell them you want a different time one night.

Nope...there are other venues, if you don't wish to dine in the dining room for a night. Don't select MTD unless you plan on eating alone every night...MTDer's aren't fond of company!

Wow! This hasn't been our experience at all. We've done MTD for a least 5 cruises and have always sat at tables for 6 or 8. Sometimes with a different group every night and some times with the same people for most of the cruise. Only 1 night were we seated at a table for 2 (our choice) and 1 table for 4 and no one else joined us. Next night we were back with a lively table of 8.

Officially no, but it has been my experience that the maitre de (sp) will do everything in his power to accommodate you. Chances are, you will be seated within 5-10 minutes.

Unless you have prepaid your gratuities, they will not allow you to eat in MTD. Perhaps you had coincidentally chosen to pay your gratuities beforehand?

Nope...there are other venues, if you don't wish to dine in the dining room for a night. Don't select MTD unless you plan on eating alone every night...MTDer's aren't fond of company!

We've done MTD 3 times now and that has not been our experience at all. The first time, we had a group of about 20 couples (none of whom knew each other before the cruise!) that ate at about the same time each night - we filled several large tables and had a great time getting to know so many people. The other times we've had smaller groups or a table for 2, but even then everyone was very social. Even at the tables for 2, we found ourselves talking to folks at the next tables on almost every night. By asking to be seated in a particular section each night, we got to know our wait staff just as you do on regular dining. On our last cruise, one night there was going to be a wait for a table in our usual section, so we took a table across the room. About 15 minutes into dinner, our regular waiter came looking for us, saying he missed us! We'll never go back to assigned table/time dining!

A friend of ours who cruises alone, much of the time, found that to be true as well. She tried MTD and found other diners less than accomodating when she wanted to sit with them at an empty place at their table.

So she went back to traditional.

I chose MTD so I can be guaranteed a table for two -- Hubby works days, I work nights and weekends -- I take vacations to spend time with him -

Speak for yourself and while I can understand why some might prefer not to sit with people with the type of attitude you profess, such broad generalizations are really untrue and unfair. Your statement has been refuted more than once and yet you persist in expressing it.:rolleyes:

It isn't possible to mix traditional and my time dinig, but, as someone has already suggested, the OP could replicate the traditional dining times when you choose MTD and change the time on one or more nights to fit the particular circumstances. If you choose to elect MTD and wish to dine with others, simply mention it to the host or hostess and they will do their best to accommodate you. You can also dine by yourselves or invite other MTD diners to have dinner with you on one or more nights as your schedule dictates.

I chose MTD so I can be guaranteed a table for two -- Hubby works days, I work nights and weekends -- I take vacations to spend time with him -

Bingo! Scoobydobe7 has it exactly right.

Between work, raising our daughter and living a normal life the rest of the year we are spending alot of time with lots of people as a matter of course.

Our vacations -- our cruise -- are for the three of us (wife, daughter, me) only, to reconnect and relax. It's not that we *won't* socialize over dinner, but it's not our first preference ...

Michael

Unless you have prepaid your gratuities, they will not allow you to eat in MTD. Perhaps you had coincidentally chosen to pay your gratuities beforehand?

We must of lucked out in March on the Mariner as we did not have pre paid grats and they accommodated us for two nights during our cruise. I would think in most cases though they would frown on doing it for a single night or two because of the grats issue.

We like eating with strangers but pow:pder the same ones every night so it gives a chance to get to know folks. We have a late returning excursion one night. I think out best bet is traditional and just skip one night our book specialty. Out of curiosity I wonder if food qualityis the same between mtd and traditional. I was just thinking making all those entrees at the same time may be better than individually prepared??

We like eating with strangers but prefer the same ones every night so it gives a chance to get to know folks. We have a late returning excursion one night. I think out best bet is traditional and just skip one night our book specialty. Out of curiosity I wonder if food qualityis the same between mtd and traditional. I was just thinking making all those entrees at the same time may be better than individually prepared??

We like eating with strangers but prefer the same ones every night so it gives a chance to get to know folks. We have a late returning excursion one night. I think out best bet is traditional and just skip one night our book specialty. Out of curiosity I wonder if food qualityis the same between mtd and traditional. I was just thinking making all those entrees at the same time may be better than individually prepared??

it is the same food, and it really isn't "individually prepared" per se....everything is pretty much pre cooked, except for steaks ......it is plated as needed, but it's all cooked.....

IMO the food quality is the same whether you have MTD or traditional....(i do manage to get potato croquettes every night too! LOL)

as for running late, you can always speak to the Maitre d and see if arrangements can be made...worst thing that can happen is they say 'no'......

From what I have read (and it's been a few years),allowing passengers to mix a form of My Time Dining and Traditional has ended up to be a bit chaotic for Princess and may also contribute to Traditional being so hard to get. RCI's having passengers choose one or the other seems to contribute to a fairly smooth system. That having been said, Princess diing may have changed in the last few years since I read threads about it.

We've done MTD 3 times now and that has not been our experience at all. The first time, we had a group of about 20 couples (none of whom knew each other before the cruise!) that ate at about the same time each night - we filled several large tables and had a great time getting to know so many people. The other times we've had smaller groups or a table for 2, but even then everyone was very social. Even at the tables for 2, we found ourselves talking to folks at the next tables on almost every night. By asking to be seated in a particular section each night, we got to know our wait staff just as you do on regular dining. On our last cruise, one night there was going to be a wait for a table in our usual section, so we took a table across the room. About 15 minutes into dinner, our regular waiter came looking for us, saying he missed us! We'll never go back to assigned table/time dining!

Totally agree,,we have had the same experiences with MTD,,so much better than eating either too early or too late....and we also sat in the same section every night and had the same wait staff,,last two cruises..:)

Archived