Get a passport book, even for closed loop

My wife and I went on our first cruise. Did the 4 night cruise to the Bahamas. Awesome time and hope to do again. We debated getting passport books but didn't like the cost so we went with passport cards instead.

Even though we were ok, saw something on the cruise that made me wish we had passport books. Some a couple of guys get kicked off the cruise at 11:30pm in Nassau right before the ship departed. Couldn't imagine being stuck in a foreign port (even Nassau) without a passport book. Will definitely get one for our next cruise (yes, I'm hooked)!

The world is yours when you have a passport; the opportunities endless. It's $100 well spent.

All absolutely true, except that I believe a passport is now $135, and $110 for renewals (adults). However, considering that they are good for 10 years it's definitely worth the money and peace of mind. :)

I can't imagine getting kicked off

I can't imagine it either! But I can see someone in our party getting ill, or an emergency at home that requires flying from port, or even a marine emergency,where they must put everyone off the ship. Any of those things can and do happen, and without your passport, you have no legal way to fly hone without some pretty major interventions. I even fly with my passport domestically. I live in the Northeast and could easily be diverted to a foriegn airport in an emergency!

Getting pitched off the ship for being a drunkard, is probably the least likely to happen to me;)

I have cruised with a passport card and/or BC up until now and never once felt uncomfortable. But now that the cruise bug has bit us good, we are cruising the Med in October and are planning 2 more in 2012, a passport book is now a must have. :D

I got mine last month and we are awaiting DH's to arrive any day!

I can't imagine it either! But I can see someone in our party getting ill, or an emergency at home that requires flying from port, or even a marine emergency,where they must put everyone off the ship. Any of those things can and do happen, and without your passport, you have no legal way to fly hone without some pretty major interventions. I even fly with my passport domestically. I live in the Northeast and could easily be diverted to a foriegn airport in an emergency!

Getting pitched off the ship for being a drunkard, is probably the least likely to happen to me;)

I do the same. There is no better form of ID in an airport. I have never had the slightest delay getting through security with it. They all know what a US passport looks like. It is much more difficult for them to know what 50 different state driver's licenses look like and to tell whether they have been altered.

I can't imagine getting kicked off

Yeah...getting kicked off depending on reason could have other consequences besides being stuck without a passport...

Passport.... I would never leave the country without it.

Except perhaps for an offshore fishing trip. :D Well offshore South Padre Island often ends up in Mexican waters...depending on the day, weather, etc...oh and boat not all have Mexican party fishing boat licensure.

What's a passport card?

The Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is less expensive than a passport book.

BUT the passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Any of those things can and do happen, and without your passport, you have no legal way to fly hone without some pretty major interventions.

Getting an emergency passpost is a faily routine transaction that generally takes a day or two. Depending upon why you need an emergency passpost, having to wait a day or two could be a big deal or not. If getting kicked off a ship for being a drunken idiot, it's probably not a big deal at all. You have to vacation in the Bahamas for a few days... horrors.

Each family needs to decide for themselves if the cost of the passport is worth the conviencence it would provide in an emergency.

Last cruise I brought my DL & Birth Certificate as well as my Passport. Goodthing because I lost my DL getting bak on the ship so I was able to use my Passport to get off the ship & home. :D BTW 30 days later I received an envelope from Royal with my drivers license in it.

BonVoyage

Dawna

What's a passport card?

A passport card is a less expensive and more limited version of the passport book. It is issued by the US government and can be used to cross the US/Canada or US/Mexico borders by land or sea and can be used as the required proof of citizenship for closed-loop cruises. Its primary purpose is intended for people who live near the borders and cross them regularly. They cannot be used for flights where a full passport is required and so anyone tossed off the ship in the Bahamas will find them less than helpful when arranging their flights back to the States. Unless you frequently cross the border, I believe that the lower cost of a passport card is hardly worth substituting it for a full passport.

Can't even leave this country without it (whole of Great Britain - England, Scotland or Wales):D

Even if our renewal costs which are approximately $125 for an approximate 3 week delivery of a renewal, or $181 for a replacement in 1 week or $210 for a replacement within the same day (appointments needed for both of these last 2 'express' services) we have no choice if we wish to travel abroad.

How long does it take my US friends to get a passport?

If you are applying for your very first passport in the UK you now have to attend an interview and it can then take upto 6 weeks to get your passport.

My wife and I went on our first cruise. Did the 4 night cruise to the Bahamas. Awesome time and hope to do again. We debated getting passport books but didn't like the cost so we went with passport cards instead.

Even though we were ok, saw something on the cruise that made me wish we had passport books. Some a couple of guys get kicked off the cruise at 11:30pm in Nassau right before the ship departed. Couldn't imagine being stuck in a foreign port (even Nassau) without a passport book. Will definitely get one for our next cruise (yes, I'm hooked)!

What is a passport Card?

Can't even leave this country without it (whole of Great Britain - England, Scotland or Wales):D

Even if our renewal costs which are approximately $125 for an approximate 3 week delivery of a renewal, or $181 for a replacement in 1 week or $210 for a replacement within the same day (appointments needed for both of these last 2 'express' services) we have no choice if we wish to travel abroad.

If you are applying for your very first passport in the UK you now have to attend an interview and it can then take upto 6 weeks to get your passport.

For us to get a Passport, it takes anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks. Whether you are applying for the first time or getting a renewal, its the same.

My mother just had her's renewed. It took 4 weeks to get it.

Except perhaps for an offshore fishing trip. :D Well offshore South Padre Island often ends up in Mexican waters...depending on the day, weather, etc...oh and boat not all have Mexican party fishing boat licensure.

Be careful. I don't want you ending up in some Mexican jail....:eek::D

All absolutely true, except that I believe a passport is now $135, and $110 for renewals (adults). However, considering that they are good for 10 years it's definitely worth the money and peace of mind. :)

I renewed my passport in 2008. Let's just say that I collect social security. When I saw it was good until 2018, I have a new "goal" in life. To live long enough to renew it again. $135 to live until it expires would be worth every dime (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Absolutely! We used to do the whole driver's license plus certified birth certificate on our closed-loop cruises -- what a pain! More importantly, with everything that's going on in the world today -- I feel much more comfortable about leaving my country, knowing that I have my ticket to get back in! :cool:

Archived