Hurtigruten in March and April

NewtoCruising2011

I am looking for information on cruising on Hurtigruten in March and April. How cold is it on deck? Is there still a lot of snow? Has anyone seen the Northern Lights this late? How is it for photography?

I love winter scenery and don't mind the cold. On the other hand, I don't want to be cooped up in a ship in stormy seas with a blizzard raging outside.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have been on Hurtirgruten in the second half of April and enjoyed it tremendously. It is already spring in the south and still winter in the north so you get a variety of lights and landscape. However, no northern lights, since the nights in the north are short and not fully dark.

I have been inspired to go on this trip by Paul, who has been six times on Hurtigruten, including once in the second half of March and he says it has been his favourite moment. Winter landscape, gorgeous weather, and northern lights. You can see his pictures here : (the text is in French but you can translate it with Google, and the photo gallery at the bottom of the page says it all!).

http://expresscotier.free.fr/version2005/2008/midnatsol/index.html

I am planning to go back on Hurtirgruten next year and it will probably be in March as well.

I also sailed with Hurtigruten in late April (2006) and it was quite warm most days. In fact I was terribly disappointed when our Tromso dogsledding excursion was cancelled due to lack of snow. There wasn't even any evidence of snow left in Kirkenes. I think weather, which seems to be much more unpredictable these days, could be anything at that time of year. The only time I was really chilled was when we all hung around on deck at dawn as we passed the famous Artic Sea marker.

I've read that for Northern Lights it's best to go between December and February, but here again nothing is guaranteed.

Hurtigruten's brochure outlines what excursions they offer at what time of year. I would look those over and see what interests you most. And also consider what you might want to do pre or post cruise in Bergen or other areas of Norway.

Archived