Choice Air: Helpful Information

Andy

Thanks SO MUCH Host Andy,

I truly wish this high level of insight would be available for more of the CC forums, it really takes away a lot of ambiguity and especially makes booking a vacation with Azamara so much easier.

Hi Rothjer !

Thank you for your kind comments. I completely agree, this type of communication brings great value to both CC Members & the Cruise Line. This is exactly how I felt, after speaking with Troy. I also had this in mind, based on the excellent response to our last feature, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1434478 with Azamara's Destination Manager, Claudius. Frankly, I'd love to offer more of this type of interaction, though there are time related issues. Nonetheless, as long as opportunites present itself to continue offering interaction, I'm always eager to assist our Cruise Critic community. IMO, it's a win-win for everyone !

I will be launching this thread on the Celebrity Forum shortly, followed by the Royal Caribbean Forum. The original post will be identical - though it's worth following, as there will no doubt be different questions & responses.

Thanks again to Troy Martin for making this possible !

Hi Fla742 !

Here's the answer. You can use either of the two links below. If you want to view flights without logging in, use the "quick flight search only" tab.

www.azamaraclubcruises.com/choiceair

www.choiceair.com

Hi Fla742,

I want to follow-up to Andy’s response in which he gave you short-cut links to ChoiceAir. Like you, I was searching the website to locate a link to “ChoiceAir.” Today I learned that it is a component of the broader category of “Air & Transfers.”

To find it without a shortcut:

On the Azamara website HOME page, click on the second TAB: PLAN YOUR VOYAGE. Scroll down the drop-down menu and click “Air & Transfers.” The page which appears has two headings: “Air” and “Transfers.” In the first paragraph of “Air” you will find a link to http://www.choiceair.com.

Click and the main page appears, titled “Start Here.” Below that there are two areas:

On the left side – “Search & Make a Reservation.”

On the right side – “Quick Flight Search Only.”

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hi Fla742,

I want to follow-up to Andy’s response in which he gave you short-cut links to ChoiceAir. Like you, I was searching the website to locate a link to “ChoiceAir.” Today I learned that it is a component of the broader category of “Air & Transfers.”

To find it without a shortcut:

On the Azamara website HOME page, click on the second TAB: PLAN YOUR VOYAGE. Scroll down the drop-down menu and click “Air & Transfers.” The page which appears has two headings: “Air” and “Transfers.” In the first paragraph of “Air” you will find a link to www.choiceair.com.

Click and the main page appears, titled “Start Here.” Below that there are two areas:

On the left side – “Search & Make a Reservation.”

On the right side – “Quick Flight Search Only.”

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill - Thanks for the info. After seeing Andy's reply, I went back to the web site and floundered some more and finally found the same path you took. I also went on the RCCL site, used the Search function for Choice Air and found the link. I'm still trying to stay positive.

Hi,

Thanks for the great info on Choice Air! I have been researching my Choice Air options this week, as I am trying to book air for my October cruise. We do each have a $500 Choice Air credit, but I am getting mixed info on whether we can use all/part of the credit on a one-way ticket. (We have enough American Airlines FF miles to fly to Europe (or fly back), but not enough for roundtrip tix. I emailed Choice Air customer services to ask about using the credit on one-way, and they told me that I need to telephone them. When I did, they told me that I would need to call the airline carrier directly, because the individual airline varied on whether or not they would honor the credit for one-way purchases.

I did search CC and found a post from last month where the cruiser was able to use her credit for one-way--but I am getting mixed-messages from them.

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Azamara Quest October 8 Rome to Athens

Hi,

Thanks for the great info on Choice Air! I have been researching my Choice Air options this week, as I am trying to book air for my October cruise. We do each have a $500 Choice Air credit, but I am getting mixed info on whether we can use all/part of the credit on a one-way ticket. (We have enough American Airlines FF miles to fly to Europe (or fly back), but not enough for roundtrip tix. I emailed Choice Air customer services to ask about using the credit on one-way, and they told me that I need to telephone them. When I did, they told me that I would need to call the airline carrier directly, because the individual airline varied on whether or not they would honor the credit for one-way purchases.

I did search CC and found a post from last month where the cruiser was able to use her credit for one-way--but I am getting mixed-messages from them.

Thanks in advance!

Mary

My experience with the Choice Air Credit had nothing to do with the airline. We made our reservations, paid for our tickets and the Credit was applied to our Cruise Fare.

Thanks very much, fla742.

Your experience sounds like what I had first expected Choice Air to be like--I dealing directly with Choice Air and getting the credit applied automatically--although maybe not immediately--to my cruise account

I am going to try to make my reservations and see what Choice Air offers me as credit options before I make my "final click"!

I really do appreciate your sharing your experience with us.

Mary

I thought I had understood that, once we had paid for Choice Air, that they would notify us as to our flight information. Is that accurate, or is there action we can take that offers us more choice than that? If they select the flights and notify us, when do we find out what our flights are? Obviously, the sooner we could know our flight itinerary, the easier it would be to plan around it. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Hi Mary !

Troy mentioned that both you and Fla742 were on the right track, but had this to add :

ChoiceAir Specials (aka cruise credits) may be used for one way, roundtrip, or multiple-destination tickets associated with the sailing that offers the promotion.

I thought I had understood that, once we had paid for Choice Air, that they would notify us as to our flight information. Is that accurate, or is there action we can take that offers us more choice than that? If they select the flights and notify us, when do we find out what our flights are? Obviously, the sooner we could know our flight itinerary, the easier it would be to plan around it. Thanks.

Hi Katherine !

Here's Troy's response :

==================

Hello Katherine. With ChoiceAir, you select your flights on your preferred carrier and schedule at very competitive -or better- fares. You can book ChoiceAir from 330 days up until 4 days prior to sailing. We occasionally still offer our legacy package air promotions on select sailings. With those promotions, we select the flights and advise our guests of the itinerary 45-60 days prior to sailings. They are totally different programs.

Thanks so much! I have learned so much from this board...Now that I have booked our cruise AND our flights, I can relax and can start really counting the days to our cruise...:)

Mary

Hi Mary !

I'm happy to hear your plans are finalized. As you said, it's time to relax, and enjoy the anticipation of your upcoming Cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time on Quest.

Just back from Baltic on Journey..loved it..used Choice Air and it couldn't have gone smoother..our gal was great to work it all out with as it became VERY confusing becuase we won't fly through JFK!!

We were very pleased.

Sherry & Kimber

Just back from Baltic on Journey..loved it..used Choice Air and it couldn't have gone smoother..our gal was great to work it all out with as it became VERY confusing becuase we won't fly through JFK!!

We were very pleased.

Sherry & Kimber

Hi Mexfolkart !

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear ChoiceAir was an excellent experience for you.

I need to chime in about Andy, in all my years with CC never have seen a host so involved on a board. I think that is great and like that he is so involved. I feel like someone has my back.

Our first experience with Choice air has been great so far especially that my TA took care of the whole thing all I needed was what day and time I wanted to leave and the same for the return and it was done that simple...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am thinking of booking my first Azamara Cruise in March, departing from Shanghai, and was wondering if Choice Air could be used to fly in a couple days early to Beijing for a short land tour. Or are you locked into just flying into the departure port on the departure day?

Thanks!

I need to chime in about Andy, in all my years with CC never have seen a host so involved on a board. I think that is great and like that he is so involved. I feel like someone has my back.

Our first experience with Choice air has been great so far especially that my TA took care of the whole thing all I needed was what day and time I wanted to leave and the same for the return and it was done that simple...

Hi Dale,

Thank You for your kind comments. My goal is to provide our Cruise Critic friends the latest information, and I'm passionate about helping our community.

I'd also like to mention the reason I'm able to provide the level of assistance, is that Bill Leiber & Azamara's Management team often makes themselves available for questions - that's a huge plus. I strongly feel Cruise lines should pay close attention to the interactive model Azamara has created, and Bill & I have evolved over the past 10 months. If other Cruise lines were to offer this level of communication, it would clealy be a win-win for everyone !

Hi,

I am thinking of booking my first Azamara Cruise in March, departing from Shanghai, and was wondering if Choice Air could be used to fly in a couple days early to Beijing for a short land tour. Or are you locked into just flying into the departure port on the departure day?

Thanks!

Hi FunkychickenX !

Here is Troy's response :

Yes. You can change the default dates to arrive early or return later.

I am booked on the 11/17/11 curise on Quest out of Venice. I purchased the cruise with air included. I realize that the air tickets will not be issued until approx. 45 days prior to sailing. In checking the Choice air site I noted that for the least expensive airfare (out of Atlanta) which I assume will be one of the flights I will be ticketed on, has a couple with 70 minutes to transfer flight in Paris and others at the same price have 2 hrs. I have been through the Paris airport and there is no way I would feel confortable in changing flights in 70 minutes (going though security, etc and the difficulty moving around the airport to gates). I would pefer the 2 hr wait between flights to be somewhat on the safe side (same price as the other flight).

On my reservations it lists air transportation as included and has a phone number to call for specific requests (I called just to ask questions) and the person I spoke with told me I did not have Choice Air, I had Standard Air (new to me, but OK). My concern is that she said she could not answer my question as to what is the acceptable standard for time to change transfer planes. She said that was up to Azamara and she had no information on that. Does anyone know who I can call to find out what Azamara's standard is on minimum times to transfer flights on "standard air"?

I appologize in advance if this question is in the wrong topic.

Bill

Sorry to be a bother, does that include changing arrival city? Thank you Host Andy!

Hi FunkychickenX !

Not a bother at all. We welcome your questions. Here is Troy's response :

Yes, you may also change arrival cities. The system will warn you that it is the wrong city and that could cause you to miss your cruise. It will not stop you from booking, so make sure your dates and cities meet your needs. As a reminder, ChoiceAir will protect you from Booking within dates that overlap your sailing, but once you override the arrival city, it cannot track whether you have allowed enough time.

I am booked on the 11/17/11 curise on Quest out of Venice. I purchased the cruise with air included. I realize that the air tickets will not be issued until approx. 45 days prior to sailing. In checking the Choice air site I noted that for the least expensive airfare (out of Atlanta) which I assume will be one of the flights I will be ticketed on, has a couple with 70 minutes to transfer flight in Paris and others at the same price have 2 hrs. I have been through the Paris airport and there is no way I would feel confortable in changing flights in 70 minutes (going though security, etc and the difficulty moving around the airport to gates). I would pefer the 2 hr wait between flights to be somewhat on the safe side (same price as the other flight).

On my reservations it lists air transportation as included and has a phone number to call for specific requests (I called just to ask questions) and the person I spoke with told me I did not have Choice Air, I had Standard Air (new to me, but OK). My concern is that she said she could not answer my question as to what is the acceptable standard for time to change transfer planes. She said that was up to Azamara and she had no information on that. Does anyone know who I can call to find out what Azamara's standard is on minimum times to transfer flights on "standard air"?

Bill

Bill,

I am sure the Cruise Air (mystery flights) are whatever is a "legal/acceptable" connection time for the airline (usually about one hour).

The airport I would be concerned about would be Frankfurt. You need lots of time there because coming from the US in our experience one must leave the plane from the tarmac, walk over to the terminal, and than go through security again. So, if we fly Lufthansa we try to go through Munich.

Normally if you choose Cruise Air you can not pick your flights (unless you pay for a deviation- sometimes waived depending on your status with the cruise line). That is why Cruise Air is often the least expensive option, since you have no Choice.

Bill

Hi Bill !

Here is Troy's response :

We only use "legal" connections, published by the airlines, and we try to avoid the tighter connection times when possible. Should you have concerns about your confirmed flights, please call our air department to discuss alternatives.

Andy, Thanks for your help. I guess what Troy is indicating that I should wait until I have a confirmed (approx. 45 prior to the flight date) flight before calling if I have concerns about adequate time to transfer planes. Can changes be made once the flight is 'confirmed"?

Archived