Great Stirrup Cay???

WillyBear

Many thanks to everyone that answered my questions on my previous thread earlier today.

The itinerary I'm looking at for March 2012 has a day at Great Stirrup Cay. Can you tell me more about this NCL private island experience? Will the water be warm or cool in March? Will the beach be super crowded? Do we need to get out there early? Is it worth it to get off the ship for this day? I understand there is construction going on. Does the construction impact the experience. I'd appreciate any info you can give me.

Cheers,

Many thanks to everyone that answered my questions on my previous thread earlier today.

The itinerary I'm looking at for March 2012 has a day at Great Stirrup Cay. Can you tell me more about this NCL private island experience? Will the water be warm or cool in March? Will the beach be super crowded? Do we need to get out there early? Is it worth it to get off the ship for this day? I understand there is construction going on. Does the construction impact the experience. I'd appreciate any info you can give me.

Cheers,

The water should be between 65 and 70 in March. How crowded it is depends on which ship you are on. On the Sky it didn't seem crowded at all with the added area. When we were there last year the construction was being done behind the beach area and didn't interfere at all. We found it to be a nice beach day for our family with a good BBQ, shore side massages, plenty of bar kiosks, a small straw market, the Hippo Water Slide (worth the money if you have kids, mine didn't want to stop sliding to eat). If you can catch one of the first tenders over you'll have more choices for seating, etc.

Have a look through this recent thread, it may answer several of your questions:

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442279&highlight=great+stirrup+cay

We went in March of this year. I found the water pretty cool but others had no problem swimming in it. It will be crowded since March is spring break time so yes, you will want to get out on the island early for the best selection of chairs. No, the construction is not having an effect on the epxerience, at least not that anyone has mentioned here lately. The area they're working on is away from the beach, I think around the tender lagoon.

We were just there this June. I can't speak to the temps in March, but it was a fabulous beach day...and I go to the beach a lot! It was crowded, I was on the Jewel, but not overly so. My kids and I loved snorkeling right off the beach! They also love the slide as the previous post mentioned. I would get there early for good seats. The contruction will not affect you at all. Totally worth going! It is a beautiful place. We actually got there early and we were still at breakfast when our tender left, but because we had booked the slide and snorkeling, we got on the next tender. So be ready early just in case!:D

We were just there this June. I can't speak to the temps in March, but it was a fabulous beach day...and I go to the beach a lot! It was crowded, I was on the Jewel, but not overly so. My kids and I loved snorkeling right off the beach! They also love the slide as the previous post mentioned. I would get there early for good seats. The contruction will not affect you at all. Totally worth going! It is a beautiful place. We actually got there early and we were still at breakfast when our tender left, but because we had booked the slide and snorkeling, we got on the next tender. So be ready early just in case!:D

So, if you book the snorkeling, do you automatically get early tender tickets? I am just wondering if you have to go sit as a group until your "excursion" is called if you book the snorkeling? May be worth it if you get the early tender tix.

K

Archived