celebrity summit

nextrip

My husband and I will be cruising celebrity summit to bermuda for the first time in a few weeks. I've read some poor reviews about the food on board as well as the waiters etc. in the MDR. What should we expect?

We booked one dinner in Normandie. I don't think we are super critical but I'm a little concerned about the neg or rather 'just ok' food reviews.

Also, will there be an issue with the pool chairs? We won't really care whether we are by the pool or not, just want to lay out and get some sun. Will I have to 'reserve' a few chairs like others? (and be written about?!)

We booked CC class, on the vista deck. I assume the cabin will be fine (7179)

On another note, CC website has been great providing a ton of information. This will be our 2nd cruise (first one on princess to alaska). Wish I knew about this site then!

We were on Summit earlier this year and loved it!

Food is totally subjective and some folks relish the idea of complaining about anything! Not so. We thought the food was a cut above average and our waiters were top notch.

Don't miss the T-Pool, but be sure too wear an old bathing suit since the colors may fade.

We were on the Summit in June...loved the ship...I loved the food everywhere...love love love the t pool...dh and I went there several times ...never was busy...went kind of off times...and a couple of times we were alone...we also enjoyed the bar all the way aft on the same deck as the buffet..they had music there sometimes and sometimes we took our food out there and sat and had a drink....loved the main dining room...we went to the martini bar at 5:30 and at 5:50 we got up and went to the dining room and got in line and we were always sat right away...also liked the buffet...I don't really sit right by the pool, but had no trouble finding a lounger away from the pool...we have a balcony so, spent time out there...:D you will love it and have a great time...

Hi,:) I was on Summit in February and will be going again in Sept:D

She is one of my favorite ships.

For whatever it is worth, food is always subjective. What I like someone

else might think is awful and vice versa. I will say Normandie is

wonderful (in my opinion). Hope you enjoy your evening in there.

I have always been pleased and if there is a problem or issue, I have

it taken care of immediatlely. The staff and crew (in my opinon)

have always been outstanding.

Chair hogs? From reading some recent reviews it looks like the pool

staff are doing their jobs and putting notices on chairs if they stay

empty for a certain length of time.....and removing the items from

the chair.

There are plenty of areas though, since you mentioned you did not

have to be right by the pool, both aft and forward with loungers

and you can get sun in those spots as well.

Enjoy your cruise:)

I was on Summit the end of June, and I honestly felt the food in the dining room was some of the best in a couple of years. Now I know food is subjective, and I do not consider myself a "foodie", but I like decent quality food, well prepared and presented, and Summit's chef really delivered. It used to be that if Mischa was the chef, I knew I would be in good hands. Now I have a new chef to watch for, Andy Bouchard. He has been with Celebrity just over a year now.

Enjoy.

Anne :)

I was on Summit the end of June, and I honestly felt the food in the dining room was some of the best in a couple of years. Now I know food is subjective, and I do not consider myself a "foodie", but I like decent quality food, well prepared and presented, and Summit's chef really delivered. It used to be that if Mischa was the chef, I knew I would be in good hands. Now I have a new chef to watch for, Andy Bouchard.

Enjoy.

Hi Anne,:) I wonder if Andy will still be on board in September.

Hi Lois, :)

He told me he would be there when I was, at that time, scheduled to sail in October. So, it looks that way. :)

Oh ok......I will pass on your good wishes:D and the food should

be really good too;)

My husband and I will be cruising celebrity summit to bermuda for the first time in a few weeks. I've read some poor reviews about the food on board as well as the waiters etc. in the MDR. What should we expect?

We booked one dinner in Normandie. I don't think we are super critical but I'm a little concerned about the neg or rather 'just ok' food reviews.

Also, will there be an issue with the pool chairs? We won't really care whether we are by the pool or not, just want to lay out and get some sun. Will I have to 'reserve' a few chairs like others? (and be written about?!)

We booked CC class, on the vista deck. I assume the cabin will be fine (7179)

On another note, CC website has been great providing a ton of information. This will be our 2nd cruise (first one on princess to alaska). Wish I knew about this site then!

We were on the Summit June 12-19....

Regarding food - I think that topic is SO subjective that you really have to experience it for yourself. We originally had no expectations, until we started reading the fabulous food reviews other posters had given. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for us, the reviews did not live up to our expectations. But, I must say - we are surrounded with fantastic restaurants in the NY/NJ area, so we are somewhat jaded. This in NO WAY "ruined" our cruise, it's just something I mention because it's what WE found. Again, the person at the next table might have felt it was the best meal they ever ate - God bless us one and all! ;)

Normandie was more like it - we ate there twice - would have eaten there at least one more night if we had to do it over again. Saturday's Brunch was spectacular.

T-pool was wonderful - unfortunately only had a chance to enjoy it once. We didn't experience 'chair hogs', but I will admit we had two lousy weather at sea days, so that might have had something to do with it.

We had a tremendous room steward, an ok butler, very darling servers at Cova Cafe (our final stop each night !) and a great bartender at the Martini Bar. The spa staff were very friendly and my DD enjoyed the gym.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip! Relax and enjoy!!!

thanks all for your input on the food and chairs. I'm sure we will be fine!

Have fun:)...so you only have 2 weeks to wait. The week before Aug 14th would be Aug 7th:D. Have a wonderful cruise:)

Food is very subjective - what one loves another doesn't. You will hear one say that Carnival has the best - and another that Celebrity does - so a lot of it is what you are normally used to. To some it is the best meal, others who have NYC top restaurants they might consider it more like very good or better (depending on who you ask) - catering food. It is best to take what you read on something like this that can be so subjective with a grain of salt and go in with no expectations - and just enjoy yourself.

Being elite with Celebrity and having done 2 Princess cruises. I will say the food was definitely a step up from Princess for my DH and I, while we had some good meals we thought that Celebrity definitely had the better food. Additionally, while we had excellent service on Princess and would definitely sail with them again, the service was just a bit above and beyond on Celebrity. I would say if you enjoy Princess you should have a wonderful time with more "extra pampering" on Celebrity.

We were on the Summit to Bermuda for the June 26 sailing. We enjoyed the cruise immensely and thought the dining experience was fine! Zeferino and Gwen were our excellent waiter and assistant. The food and the choices were wonderful. My husband once (only once) didn't like what he was brought. He was offered an instant replacement of anything else he wanted. Zeferino was very eager to make him happy. Once, some tablemates couldn't decide between a couple of dishes and were encouraged to have both. Actually, one had three entrees! One tablemate wanted Coke every night, and was brought it as soon as he sat down.

The restaurant staff is very knowledgeable about all the food. Our daughter needs to follow a gluten-free diet. After dinner, the assistant maitre d' brought her the next night's menu, and she made her choices. She was advised if she could tolerate the choice, and sometimes she was told it could be adapted for her. All their soups and sauces are gluten-free. She always found something she liked. We had breakfast and lunch in the main dining room most days. (The main dining room isn't open on port days.) She was always offered gluten-free bread, and advised of things she could have. (I don't know how they identified her, although sometimes Gwen was at breakfast. He was great, made her feel very special.) Her diet could have been a real hassle and an impediment to a good cruise, but it instead became a pleasure.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

We were on the Summit 7/3 - 7/10 and had a great time! We thought that the selections and the food were very good, definately a step above the last 2 Princess cruises we were on. We did the Select Time dinning and really enjoyed it. We usually ate between 7 - 7:30 and we never once waited for a table. The wait staff was very good and we never felt rushed or hurried. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

Just returned from the Summit sailing (7/17-7/24). Fabulous cruise....the crew ( including the captain and senior officers) was incredibly friendly...always a welcome smile and a greeting.

The dining experience (food and service) in Normandie was wonderful!!! One of our two nights there we dined in the wine cellar. The food in the MDR for the most part was very good.

We did not find it difficult to get chairs by the pool...the pool staff would remove towels from chairs that had been unattended for long periods of time....on very hot days they came by with cold towels and fruit skewers.

For those future cruisers, you will have a great time!

My DH and I just returned from the July 10-17 cruise to Bermuda. As for the waiters and staff in all areas we could not have been happier. We had select dining and it worked out great. Servers (wait staff, bar tenders, sommliers) were terrific.

Food, overall good, a lot more hits than misses.

The galley tour was interesting. If you go you meet up and it looks like hundreds of people, but they do a great job breaking you down into small groups of about 15-20.

Entertainment at night was good and we were always able to find 2 good seats together regarless of the time we showed up. They also had a gutarist/vocalist who played each night in the bar aft the buffet. He was very good.

As for "chair hogs" they were in full force on our sailing. We saw people reserve up to 8 chairs for family members we never seen show up. The pool butlers tried but if one member of a family was there (for the 8) chairs, the saving family member would just say it is ours and that was that. As for the slips of paper, some were placed on chairs with 9:00 marked and still there at 3:00 even though people were looking for chairs. But...if you need help the pool butlers seemed to try and find you a chair, but you needed to request it.

You will have a great time and hope your weather was as good as ours.

OP: regarding cabin 7179, please note that the balcony will not have a view straight-down to the water. In other words, you can look out to see the ocean, but not directly down. That's because a canvas awning juts out - it serves as an extension of the roof for the suite directly below you. This will be the case for all C3s on Deck 7.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance that the food, and cruise will be just fine.

Re: not being able to look down at the ocean....oh well. Funny, we moved our room from the 8th deck (because they were adjoining rooms and I read about hearing everything from the next room) to the vista deck which I read was a great deck to be on. I'm just hoping for smooth sailing!

Archived