Tipping

I know this is a ridiculous, but I am so confused about tipping. I pre-paid my gratuities when I paid for the cruise. What does that cover and then what additional tipping should I do on the cruise? First time cruiser...

I know this is a ridiculous, but I am so confused about tipping. I pre-paid my gratuities when I paid for the cruise. What does that cover and then what additional tipping should I do on the cruise? First time cruiser...

Basically the pre-paid tips pay for the servers and head waiter in the dining room and for the room steward. All drinks that you charge to your seapass card will have a 15% gratuity automatically added to the bill. If you order room service, you should consider tipping the person who delivers your order (usually a dollar or two should suffice depending on how much you order). If you have access to the concierge lounge (if you book a suite) and the concierge provides you with any special services, a tip would be in order, and a tip to any waiters who serve you drinks in the lounge, would be appropriate at whatever level you feel is commensurate with the service provided. You will receive vouchers towards the end of the cruise to hand out to your dining room servers and the room steward (they will still get your tips even if you don't hand them out). If you believe that the service you received from any of those individuals was over and above what could reasonably be expected, you can add cash to the voucher envelopes.:)

The tipping procedure is pretty straight forward so don't worry about any confusion.

I went on the link provided by another poster. The rates there are different than the rates on rccl website. Rccl says 3.50 per stateroom, the poster said 5.00(maybe they meant suite). I know the suggested tips went up as of July 31st (I think). Can anyone tell me what the new suggested rates are? I do not want to short tip anyone.

Thanks

I went on the link provided by another poster. The rates there are different than the rates on rccl website. Rccl says 3.50 per stateroom, the poster said 5.00(maybe they meant suite). I know the suggested tips went up as of July 31st (I think). Can anyone tell me what the new suggested rates are? I do not want to short tip anyone.

Thanks

The $5.00 amount is the suggested gratuity level for a suite attendant. If you are in a lower category room a lower amount applies. Check out TPKeller's link which will help you calculate the recommended tips for your cruise:http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

The $5.00 amount is the suggested gratuity level for a suite attendant. If you are in a lower category room a lower amount applies. Check out TPKeller's link which will help you calculate the recommended tips for your cruise:http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Thanks for the quick reply. BUt I did a google search for tips rccl 2011, and it says as of July 1, the new tipping suggestions are 5.00 for room attendants and 7.25 for suite attendants. thanks again for your help!!

a 15% gratuity will be added to your bar and beverage bill (if you purchase any)

if you get a room service delivery, it would be customary to give the delivery person a few dollars. (If you get a delivery between 12mid and 5am, a $3.95 surcharge will be added to your account, but this includes the tip).

You may wish to tip the porter who helps you with your luggage ($5 or so, depending on how many bags you have)

Otherwise, no additional tips needed.

If you dine in a specialty restaurant, the upcharge includes the tip. Some generous people like to add to this tip, but it is not necessary.

You will be given vouchers to present to the cabin steward and the wait team, however you do not need to give it to them in order for them to collect their tip. It's just so you have something to hand out, if you wish to. Some people like to add an additional tip for outstanding service, but it is not necessary.

If you've prepaid your tips, you're done. No need to tip additionally.

The only exception is if you use room service....a tip of $1-5 is sort of expected, depending on how much they have to carry to you.

Of course, off the ship, porters, taxis, etc...are up to you and are NOT included in your prepaid tips.

You scared me, Puffinater! I thought that you were sending the OP to "that OTHER tipping thread"............................ :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

negc, chris153: Yes, suggested gratuities increased as of July 2, 2011.

Now the amounts are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $5.00 USD a day per guest

(suite attendant is now $7.25)

Thanks for the quick reply. BUt I did a google search for tips rccl 2011, and it says as of July 1, the new tipping suggestions are 5.00 for room attendants and 7.25 for suite attendants. thanks again for your help!!

You are correct. We haven't cruised since the new tipping levels went into effect. Sorry about that. Should have limited myself to just listing the link to the tip calculator.

Just FYI, the tip calculator has been updated to reflect the new guidelines. Thanks for recommending it to people! :)

Theron

Archived