Salmon Bakes?

B&C-Cruisers

We went to Gold Creek, but on an excursion booked through the cruise line. It was good - outside seating area is covered, so even though we were there on a rainy day, were dry and kept warm by outdoor space heaters. I thought the salmon was good - sweet tasting, and my son and daughter had multiple helpings - and they NEVER do that. However, my father thought it was too bland, so I guess it depends on your taste. The other food offerings were just ok. Everyone loved the clam chowder, though!

When I was planning my trip, I had my heart set on Gold Creek because it looked like a fun outdoor experience. But after asking several questions on this board about salmon bakes, Thane Ore House was highly recommended so I went there. Boy was I sorry.

First of all, our time in Juneau was limited so I had to make a quick decision. After our helicopter landing, I called Thane Ore House to request a free pick-up downtown and I was told the staff was out to lunch and there were only two workers in the restaurant so they couldn't leave. It was 1:30pm, why would the staff be out to lunch at the peak dining time for customers? They recommended taking a cab which I did, and it cost $20 for a 7-minute drive!! So we walk in and the place is empty except for four customers getting ready to leave! We basically ate there the whole time by ourselves and the two workers seemed bored out of their mind, offered no hospitality and made us feel like we were a bother to them. I felt like every piece of food we took from the buffet or asked to be grilled was being watched. The guy stood behind the counter and watched our every move which was kind of creepy.

There's a very small salad bar and when you want salmon, you have to tell the guy. He goes to the fridge and pulls out pieces of fish from plastic bags and puts it on the grill for you. The pieces were very small and when I asked for a couple of them, I felt like I was taking all their food. There's also fried halibut and bbq ribs you have to ask for. The place was dark and dingy and totally not what I expected. And yes, the price was expensive. Then it was awkward when I asked for a shuttle ride back downtown, making us feel like me were intruding on them, but I was not going to pay another $20 for a cab after they advertise free shuttles. They weren't even busy and there's no reason why they couldn't take a few minutes of their time to pick us up in the first place.

It's no wonder why the restaurant was empty - they're too lazy to pick people up and there's absolutely no advertisements for their restaurant anywhere in town. Their shuttle van doesn't even have their name on the side of the van. They need to rethink their business strategy or else they won't be around for much longer. Most of their customers must be regulars and those they recommend.

If I had to do it all over again, I would try Gold Creek for an outdoor experience and the food is probably just as good or better than Thane Ore House. From the pictures I've seen of Gold Creek, they grill a lot of salmon at once and you just go and ask for what you want, plus it's more populated, yet not overcrowded. For me, a pleasant dining experience includes good food, customer service and atmosphere. The quality of food at Thane Ore House is probably no better than anywhere else and it's lacking in other areas. After all, you're in Alaska where salmon is plentiful so you can't go wrong wherever you go, but please take my other thoughts into consideration.

When I was planning my trip, I had my heart set on Gold Creek because it looked like a fun outdoor experience. But after asking several questions on this board about salmon bakes, Thane Ore House was highly recommended so I went there. Boy was I sorry.

First of all, our time in Juneau was limited so I had to make a quick decision. After our helicopter landing, I called Thane Ore House to request a free pick-up downtown and I was told the staff was out to lunch and there were only two workers in the restaurant so they couldn't leave. It was 1:30pm, why would the staff be out to lunch at the peak dining time for customers? They recommended taking a cab which I did, and it cost $20 for a 7-minute drive!! So we walk in and the place is empty except for four customers getting ready to leave! We basically ate there the whole time by ourselves and the two workers seemed bored out of their mind, offered no hospitality and made us feel like we were a bother to them. I felt like every piece of food we took from the buffet or asked to be grilled was being watched. The guy stood behind the counter and watched our every move which was kind of creepy.

There's a very small salad bar and when you want salmon, you have to tell the guy. He goes to the fridge and pulls out pieces of fish from plastic bags and puts it on the grill for you. The pieces were very small and when I asked for a couple of them, I felt like I was taking all their food. There's also fried halibut and bbq ribs you have to ask for. The place was dark and dingy and totally not what I expected. And yes, the price was expensive. Then it was awkward when I asked for a shuttle ride back downtown, making us feel like me were intruding on them, but I was not going to pay another $20 for a cab after they advertise free shuttles. They weren't even busy and there's no reason why they couldn't take a few minutes of their time to pick us up in the first place.

It's no wonder why the restaurant was empty - they're too lazy to pick people up and there's absolutely no advertisements for their restaurant anywhere in town. Their shuttle van doesn't even have their name on the side of the van. They need to rethink their business strategy or else they won't be around for much longer. Most of their customers must be regulars and those they recommend.

If I had to do it all over again, I would try Gold Creek for an outdoor experience and the food is probably just as good or better than Thane Ore House. From the pictures I've seen of Gold Creek, they grill a lot of salmon at once and you just go and ask for what you want, plus it's more populated, yet not overcrowded. For me, a pleasant dining experience includes good food, customer service and atmosphere. The quality of food at Thane Ore House is probably no better than anywhere else and it's lacking in other areas. After all, you're in Alaska where salmon is plentiful so you can't go wrong wherever you go, but please take my other thoughts into consideration.

I am so sorry you experienced this. It sounds like there has been some kind of melt down in this business? Have they had an ownership change?? Financial problems?? I had gone there several times and always had friendly service and superb food.

Thank you for your report, yours and the previous is valuable information.

I am so sorry you experienced this. It sounds like there has been some kind of melt down in this business? Have they had an ownership change?? Financial problems?? I had gone there several times and always had friendly service and superb food.

Thank you for your report, yours and the previous is valuable information.

Budget Queen, I'm glad you appreciated my report because quite honestly I thought you may have been insulted since I know how much you love this place. But as you mentioned, things may have changed since you were there last.

Don't get me wrong, the food was quite enjoyable, but the setup of the buffet, employees/owners, customer service and ambiance were a little bit uncomfortable for me (and I am by no means a restaurant snob).

Archived