Maya Chan

lindalo5032

We are going on the Allure (RCI) on the Eastern itinerary in September. I have read that in the event of storms, the Eastern itinerary is changed to Western with stops at Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I'm trying to make contingency plans in case our itinerary gets changed (which is a good possibility in September).

Obviously I can't make reservations ahead of time in this scenario, but if we do find ourselves in Costa Maya, would it be possible for me to get last minute reservations at Maya Chan? How would I contact them?

Any help is appreciated! :)

They usually don't make those decisions until last minute...whether it be after everyone is on board or already out to sea.

With Maya Chan, you book ahead of time and have to pay a deposit. So not sure if he takes walk ups or not. I mean if there is room, I'm sure he's not going to turn you away...but the way everyone talks, it books up quickly since there is only a limited number of spots.

If the ship diverts from Costa Maya or if the weather is really bad Mark refunds the money. Just e-mail and ask about the policy- that way you have a solid reservation and if things go wrong you are not out anything.

We are going on the Allure (RCI) on the Eastern itinerary in September. I have read that in the event of storms, the Eastern itinerary is changed to Western with stops at Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I'm trying to make contingency plans in case our itinerary gets changed (which is a good possibility in September).

Obviously I can't make reservations ahead of time in this scenario, but if we do find ourselves in Costa Maya, would it be possible for me to get last minute reservations at Maya Chan? How would I contact them?

Any help is appreciated! :)

You should know in advance of sailing embarkation day if a storm is indeed shifting your cruise to Western. As early as possible when you learn of this, contact Maya Chan. Also contact Jaime at Nohoch Kay, the exclusive AI at the end of the malecon. Or look up Maya Beach Gardens which is to th enorth of Costa Maya. Depending on the number of other ships also in port that day may or may not mean they have room. If the Allur eis the only ship, they will be welcoming you. You can pre-research by looking at schedules on cruisett.com. Just be aware this schedule may or may not be up to date and will not show last minute changes.

If you do not have time to contact either and get a response be for leaving or you don't find out until you are embarking, don't panic, just head for the malecon and find Tropicante in the middle and ask for Steve.

If no other ships are in walk on down to the end of the malecon and find Nohoch Kay and see if they are open. You might also try to get phone numbers so you can call once in port. And ask them at that time.

In the meantime, this is all back up. Plan your cruise for the Eastern and go have a great time.

Edited by crewsweeper

Here is the "rain/refund" policy that Mark at Maya Chan provides in case of a storm. It came straight from him when I inquired about the policy:

Rain Policy: If we are in a named Storm, or see that its going to be a rain day, we will contract the taxi service and he will give you the option to come and enjoy our rain day schedule or stay back on the ship. If that occurs, I will refund you back 100% of all of the money. If you use the taxi service and come to MCB, see update below. It does rain everyday in our area. We survive on rain water, so, rain is a good thing. We have a very fun rain schedule.

UPDATE: Rain Policy: If you arrive and leave because of the rain in the first few hours and before lunch, we will refund all but $ 30.00. That way you have another option. come and have fun and in the first two hours the weather just doesn't get better, it only costs you $ 30.00 for transportation, fresh chips and guacamole, and all you can drink cocktails.

Mark and his staff want to make sure that you have an enjoyable and memorable time when you are with them and will go out of their way to accommodate you as best they can by the policy they have in place above.

I contacted him to find out about your situation. I will let you know when he responds.

You can also contact him by emailing him direct with any questions you might have. They answer pretty quickly. Just remember that Mark is an avid cruiser himself and started this business while cruising and visiting Costa Maya and wanting that "perfect" little get a way for cruisers...so he created Maya Chan. He is actually from the US (California I believe). He is "one of us" (an avid cruiser) and not just another vendor on the island. ;) The staff is family as well I believe.

Also Mark tracks all of the storms...keeping a close eye on them constantly. He is well aware if there is a storm or if ships will be diverted to Costa Maya or away from there.

He has an excellent relationship with most of the ships staff. If your ship is being diverted there, talk to a staff member and they should be able to contact Mark at Maya Chan to see if there is room there that day. (Last week Oasis had to divert there and he was able to take 17 of their cruisers...so you just never know).

It is beautiful and sunny there today and I am wishing my Spirit cruise was already here...Ahhh...to be laying there on the beach right now is what I need. (I really should be getting back to studying for my finals in school. It's hard to concentrate when all I want to do is cruise) :D

costamayawebcam.jpg

Our party of 7 just experienced the very scenario you described. We were on the Oasis of the Seas bound for the Eastern Carribean last week 8/3/11 when tropical storm Emily rolled into the area we were supposed to visit. We were diverted to Costa Maya and Cozumel. There were literally thousands of people on the ship looking for shore excursions. My husband and I had visited Maya Chan this last March on another cruise and had had a fantastic time. I took a chance and used my IPAD to contact Mark at Maya Chan and asked if he could accommodate us last minute. He replied almost immediately and said that they would open for us. (They had not expected any ship in port that day)They are the greatest people to work with! They met us at the gate of the property and made us welcome. The food we had was as good as any we had on the whole cruise and the service was fantastic. The people at Maya Chan go above and beyond to make the day wonderful. If you find that you have been diverted please give them a try. You will not be disappointed.

Also Mark tracks all of the storms...keeping a close eye on them constantly. He is well aware if there is a storm or if ships will be diverted to Costa Maya or away from there.

He has an excellent relationship with most of the ships staff. If your ship is being diverted there, talk to a staff member and they should be able to contact Mark at Maya Chan to see if there is room there that day. (Last week Oasis had to divert there and he was able to take 17 of their cruisers...so you just never know).

It is beautiful and sunny there today and I am wishing my Spirit cruise was already here...Ahhh...to be laying there on the beach right now is what I need. (I really should be getting back to studying for my finals in school. It's hard to concentrate when all I want to do is cruise) :D

costamayawebcam.jpg

Great picture!! I booked Maya Chan because of all the great reviews. I can see myself enjoying a cold fruity drink on one of the beds!!!:D:D

Our party of 7 just experienced the very scenario you described. We were on the Oasis of the Seas bound for the Eastern Carribean last week 8/3/11 when tropical storm Emily rolled into the area we were supposed to visit. We were diverted to Costa Maya and Cozumel. There were literally thousands of people on the ship looking for shore excursions. My husband and I had visited Maya Chan this last March on another cruise and had had a fantastic time. I took a chance and used my IPAD to contact Mark at Maya Chan and asked if he could accommodate us last minute. He replied almost immediately and said that they would open for us. (They had not expected any ship in port that day)They are the greatest people to work with! They met us at the gate of the property and made us welcome. The food we had was as good as any we had on the whole cruise and the service was fantastic. The people at Maya Chan go above and beyond to make the day wonderful. If you find that you have been diverted please give them a try. You will not be disappointed.

This is great to know. OP, do pre-cruise check on the number of ships in CM if you were to be diverted there. You might be in a situation like bogie 123 and no ships expected, or only 1 ship in port.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody fresh back from Maya Chan? Are they doing anything new? They didn't do "beach golf" 2 years ago. Any new wrinkles?

Anybody fresh back from Maya Chan? Are they doing anything new? They didn't do "beach golf" 2 years ago. Any new wrinkles?

Just booked Maya Chan once again for my Nov Jewel sailing....wouldn't think to spend the day in CM anywhere else but with Mark and his excellent staff at Maya Chan:) They started the mini-golf last year....what a BLAST after many drinks:D Last I was there in March of this year the road had been all repaired...it had got a little washed out after a rough 2010 summer storm season ...but it was in great shape this spring and so far they have been spared any storms this year....keeping fingers crossed for them.

There is a great big thread with much great info on Maya Chan here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1087631

Is this website down??? I can't seem to access it, it keeps posting an error message? How can I book this for our upcomming cruise Oct 1st ?

The web-site may just be temporarily down for some reason...no worries....I was just on it last night and booked for Nov and already got my confirm this AM ...they are excellent at returning e-mails and responding to reservation requests.

I talked to him earlier (someone on our roll call was interested) and he said the website was only down for a short time earlier because he was uploading new pictures to the site. :) No worries. He got back to me (and the person on roll call) probably within a 1/2 hour of emailing him. :D

Maya Chan is wonderful! The only draw back is if your on the Dream - Carnival, you have to be back on the ship by 2:30 for the 3pm departure.

I wish they would make the departure later, like 6pm so you can really get to enjoy the whole day there.

We took a bike ride and enjoyed the floaties. Never had time to kayak. The place is just beautiful. Really a piece of paradise that I would recommend to anyone going to Costa Maya.

Don't be alarmed on the ride there. My husband was a little nervous, but once we got there he was very pleased with my selection.

I did a search and took a look around up and down the streets using google earth (where you pull the person down as if you are walking down the street).

I'm just wondering...where do you go on the bike rides? There doesn't seem to be much around and everything seems kinda few and far in between places around there. It's not like it seems to be in a little town that you can go around exploring. So...I was just wondering.

Also, we will have a 3 year old with us, do they have any of those little toddler seats to put young children in to ride behind you on the bike or not? :confused:

Mitsugirly,

The bike ride visit is more of a group tour led by one of the Maya Chan staff to a nearby mangrove:

"Bikers have the opportunity to discover hidden treasures of the mangrove and coastal areas. This isn’t a mountain biking trek, so don’t let the threat of a little exercise scare you. Our mangrove is just one of the ecosystems intertwined with the famous Meso-American reef. It is home to jaguars, monkeys, and over 540 species of birds. Coconuts grow wild on the surrounding palms and termites build nests larger than beach balls. During the rainy season the mangrove fills with fresh water and becomes a breeding ground for fish and crabs. Our bike ride will visit one branch of the mangrove as it drains into the open sea. Tannins rich in vitamins and minerals flow freely into the shallows where gulls, pelicans, and a mysterious alligator which has only been seen by a handful of locals, patiently wait for their supper. Because the fishing is easy in this nutrient-rich area, it is also a favorite fishing spot for the locals."

I don't recall whether or not they have toddler seats for the bikes. I would suggest shooting off an e-mail to Mark. If they don't have one already, they are eager to please and might be able to dig one up for you.

Thanks for the description. I had not seen that on the site (assuming that's where you got it). :)

Does anyone have any idea how long of a bike ride this is?

Anyone have any pictures while going on this bike ride?

Alligators and jaguars??? YIKES :eek: