group travel question

travelinteach

I have a couple of questions. Is there a big savings when you get a group?? We have 6 rooms and only need a few more to travel with a group rate should we book now and forget about it or try and add some more rooms. Also what are these "official cc groups" I see posted now and then. Should I see if any of those are the dates we want. We are deciding between the Legend and Glory April 1-8 to the Western Carribean. thoughts??

You dont usually save a lot with group rates, but they are more flexible than ES rates, but then often you can book ES rates with a group. Its not a this is the one answer, groups are always cheaper kind of deal.

CC groups are mostly a lot of fun is why people do them. Its fun groups and doing things with each other.

In addition to what the other posters have said about the perks/benefits, you might consider a TA. With multiple cabins, they might throw in their own incentives such as additional OBC. If you don't have a TA you can try the cruise compete site and see what offers you get. Just do your due diligence and make sure you are comfortable with whoever you choose.

I just booked my 2nd group of friends and family last week for a spring break cruise on the Magic. We only have 8 cabins this time, but it still saved some money. The group rate matched the online rate for the "Fun Saver", which was $70 more than the ES rate. The rate is 100% refundable until 2 1/2 months out, then the penalty increases as you get closer to the cruise date. You can also change names at no cost. We recieved 4 amentity points with each cabin which I will use for a $75 OBC for every cabin. Once we had 15 full fare guests booked, we recieved the cost of one person as a credit on the group reservation based on the type of cabin that was most booked. I will have Carnival apply this equally to all cabins as on OBC once everyone is paid in full. It's a nice little suprise for everyone. One thing that was really nice on our last cruise was that on the day after final payment is due, you can contact the group dinning coordinator and they will put everyone at the tables you request and in any area that you request that is open. We had 4 tables of 8 next to the windows that where outstanding.

Something that is different this time around is that you only have 14 days for everyone to pay the $250 deposit before the cabins are released. I did call a few days before that date and recieved a 14 day extension. If someone decided to go after this date, they can still be part of the group and receive any benefits at the current rate the day they call.

It's a little work for the person putting it together, but is kind of fun as well.

I just booked my 2nd group of friends and family last week for a spring break cruise on the Magic. We only have 8 cabins this time, but it still saved some money. The group rate matched the online rate for the "Fun Saver", which was $70 more than the ES rate. The rate is 100% refundable until 2 1/2 months out, then the penalty increases as you get closer to the cruise date. You can also change names at no cost. We recieved 4 amentity points with each cabin which I will use for a $75 OBC for every cabin. Once we had 15 full fare guests booked, we recieved the cost of one person as a credit on the group reservation based on the type of cabin that was most booked. I will have Carnival apply this equally to all cabins as on OBC once everyone is paid in full. It's a nice little suprise for everyone. One thing that was really nice on our last cruise was that on the day after final payment is due, you can contact the group dinning coordinator and they will put everyone at the tables you request and in any area that you request that is open. We had 4 tables of 8 next to the windows that where outstanding.

Something that is different this time around is that you only have 14 days for everyone to pay the $250 deposit before the cabins are released. I did call a few days before that date and recieved a 14 day extension. If someone decided to go after this date, they can still be part of the group and receive any benefits at the current rate the day they call.

It's a little work for the person putting it together, but is kind of fun as well.

I have sailed and arranged a couple of groups and it is very easy through the groups department! It is also nice to get a little OBC and such!!

I guess I need to find 4 more people then. It seems worth it. Not sure who I can get but will spread the word to my friends.

If you are going through a TA, they can add people to your group that just walk in and want to go on a cruise. We were lacking three couples and our TA put two other couples and she and her husband joined the group. We got the group discount of one free booking that we split among us. Then we each received a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries from her.

I just booked my 2nd group of friends and family last week for a spring break cruise on the Magic. We only have 8 cabins this time, but it still saved some money. The group rate matched the online rate for the "Fun Saver", which was $70 more than the ES rate. The rate is 100% refundable until 2 1/2 months out, then the penalty increases as you get closer to the cruise date. You can also change names at no cost. We recieved 4 amentity points with each cabin which I will use for a $75 OBC for every cabin.

OP Im sure you caught it .. but let me point out the group rate is $70 per PERSON more than ES .. and they got $75 OBC per CABIN.

Whenever Iv done the math .. ES came out better and I could book a lower category than often the group rates included.

Agreed with firefly. Sometimes the deal isn't all it is cracked up to be. I have had a TA tell me that the ES rate could be combined with the group benefits though, but that may have been a fluke.

Again, check with reputable TAs if you want to get the best benefits

Agreed with firefly. Sometimes the deal isn't all it is cracked up to be. I have had a TA tell me that the ES rate could be combined with the group benefits though, but that may have been a fluke.

Again, check with reputable TAs if you want to get the best benefits

Or its a higher ES rate to get the perks (i.e. you buy up to the group ES rate), or if you want to book the ES rate for regular booking you dont get the perks for the group such as the OBC.

You might be helping out the group, but you get nothing but having to deal with their booking agent when you like your own PVP.

firefly- honestly it has been so long that I can remember the details. All I remember is that when I was looking at a group option, the group would have included amenity points.

I asked if a cabin could book with the group at the ES rate. I know that the answer was yes, but you may be correct that they would have lost the amenity points for that cabin.

firefly- honestly it has been so long that I can remember the details. All I remember is that when I was looking at a group option, the group would have included amenity points.

I asked if a cabin could book with the group at the ES rate. I know that the answer was yes, but you may be correct that they would have lost the amenity points for that cabin.

Its also only been recently that they now allow you to book a 1A cabin and be included in the group. So, as a solo booker, I was not even able to book a 1A cabin and be included, ES or no ES.

They have changed some of the rules so now you can use ES, but if you get perks or not really depends on the cruise date .. its not always a good deal or it may be.

I think you still cannot book military rates and get the group perks either. .. though I dont keep up with this as Im not military, but we lost a lot of folks when they found a cheaper military rate, they were no longer part of the group... plus the whole buying up to the perks for other than group rates. (group rates are higher).

There are group ES rates available. For our 3 day cruise the price is $12 per person higher than booking individual ES rates. For that $12 we will split the cost of one person's fare and we have amenity points to use for different things that we can pick from a list, such as a bottle of wine, a one hour coctail party, tote bag, photo coupon, etc. so you get back more than the $12. You can book military rates at a group rate too.

There are group ES rates available. For our 3 day cruise the price is $12 per person higher than booking individual ES rates. For that $12 we will split the cost of one person's fare and we have amenity points to use for different things that we can pick from a list, such as a bottle of wine, a one hour coctail party, tote bag, photo coupon, etc. so you get back more than the $12. You can book military rates at a group rate too.

thats what I was referring to when I said you could buy up to perks with ES rates.

Most TAs have access to other potential clients who could be added to the group booking so you have enough cabins to meet the qualifications of the group booking.

Many TAs will also add additional incentives for the group. Look around for a TA who specializes in groups.

Archived