Do you pre-tip your cabin steward?

Starzend

I personally don't see anything on that list worth $50 to me. Again, I don't cruise to hang out with the crew, I don't understand how your steward got you in to a full specialty restaurant- did they bring in an extra table for you? And the free bridge tour wasn't really free- it cost $50.

People can spend their money as they wish, I'm just saying my stewards have treated me and DH like royalty in the ways that matter to us, and it has never cost us $50.

I was also curious, how much are you tipping these people to get all sorts of fees waved AND does the amount of fees/free stuff amount to the tip you give?

A tip is for awesome service. When you are receiving things that are OUTSIDE of room service, it's no longer a tip for room service, is it?...and that's OKAY! But call it what it is. It's a personal choice!

Like a lot of people on here, I throw some cash their way on the last day to let them know I appreciate their hard work. They definitely DO deserve it!

PS - As for people throwing food on the floor and serving it, I think that's a little ridiculous. I've worked a food industry for a while and even when I've had to wait on the biggest a$$holes, I'd still never do that. Plus, these people are already being tipped, anything extra is EXTRA!

Hi Gunther:)

I won't get into a food service debate with ya, I've been in food service for over 27 yrs. Too many variables my friend.

To get right to your question, we typically tip our

cabin steward $50 on the first day..

I never look for the perks to add up to be what the tip is,

I never look at it that way, never thought of it actually until you just mentioned it.

In short, our pre tip to a cabin steward comes to around $8 to $10 per day.

It varies a little, but usually $50 the first day, and $25 to $50 on the last day..

I personally don't see anything on that list worth $50 to me. Again, I don't cruise to hang out with the crew, I don't understand how your steward got you in to a full specialty restaurant- did they bring in an extra table for you? And the free bridge tour wasn't really free- it cost $50.

People can spend their money as they wish, I'm just saying my stewards have treated me and DH like royalty in the ways that matter to us, and it has never cost us $50.

Does this website have

an ignore feature?????

Nope. Have never felt the need to "grease any palms". We leave the tips charged by the cruise line on our on board account and if someone has gone above and beyond we will extend an additional amount at the end of the cruise. Everyone does what they are comfortable with and to me it would feel too much like bribery. "and there's more where that came from, my friend, he-he-he......."

One of the older guys from my neighborhood was a bartender on Rush st.

in Chicago. He told me the guys in the know would give him a big tip on there first drink order. It was a way of telling him they weren't stiffs. He always made sure they got the best service and generous pours on their drinks. Its still working for me the last 48 years.

right?

i was hoping for superior room service. not a ticket to hang out with the crew, or even their pool. :eek: YUCK.

i'm certainly not buying the free soda or water though.

right?

i was hoping for superior room service. not a ticket to hang out with the crew, or even their pool. :eek: YUCK.

i'm certainly not buying the free soda or water though.

Oh, that is a shame, you never had a cabin steward say, "Take some soda"..

Or, "what else do you need", and not be charged??

We had cabin steward bring her trolly into our cabin & say, take what ya want, lol..

I love the way some of you treat your new members, geez..

Does this website have

an ignore feature?????

You're awfully new here to be so snarky, aren't you?? With just 24 posts, maybe you should ignore this site entirely if you are already looking for an ignore button.. Too bad you can't pre-tip here & get everyone to PRETEND to agree with you.. UGH!!

Oh, that is a shame, you never had a cabin steward say, "Take some soda"..

Or, "what else do you need", and not be charged??

We had cabin steward bring her trolly into our cabin & say, take what ya want, lol..

nope. they are charged for any missing inventory.

Pre-tipping is no guarantee of getting good service. So if you pre-tip your cabin steward and then get poor service, what do you do, ask them for your money back?? Or just feel foolish for giving him money right off the bat? :rolleyes:

Exactly. I have pre-tipped once - my first time cruising in a suite. Gave the room steward $20 up front when I requested an ashtray for the balcony and lots of ice throughout the week. I may have well have given the $20 to a random passenger for all the good it did. Worst steward I've had in my 15-ish cruises - he did the basics with a meh attitude and that was it. And no, I never got my ashtray either. :rolleyes: So yeah, no more pre-tipping for this chicky.

I pre-tip and it works for me. He-he, honestly I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

Money talks. Really, it does! Good wishes will never get you a table at a restaurant or take you to the front of the line at a nightclub. It won't make the valet get your car before mine and it won't insure yours won't be dented.

It won't take you behind the scenes at the Empire State Building or Islands of Adventure. That taxi that's waiting in front of the hotel? That's mine and he won't carry you because I've already "bribed" him.

Say what you want. Money talks and BS walks...

YMMV

I pre-tip and it works for me. He-he, honestly I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

Money talks. Really, it does! Good wishes will never get you a table at a restaurant or take you to the front of the line at a nightclub. It won't make the valet get your car before mine and it won't insure yours won't be dented.

It won't take you behind the scenes at the Empire State Building or Islands of Adventure. That taxi that's waiting in front of the hotel? That's mine and he won't carry you because I've already "bribed" him.

Say what you want. Money talks and BS walks...

YMMV

looks like you had a great steward to do all these things for you. never needed a taxi yet on board, though.

nope. they are charged for any missing inventory.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they do go out of their way to help, I don't know, but I find it hard to believe they would allow someone to take all the soda and water for free.

We have always pre-tipped and it has worked well for us. We usually cruise in a group and get an aft wrap. Our cabin becomes the party room for sail aways and drinks before dinner. Our cabin stewards have been great about keeping 2 large ice buckets full for us and extra glasses as we need them. Aside from that, IMO they deserve a little extra as hard as they work!

On the first night of a cruise when I settle in pre-dinner at the lounge that I picked out for our pre-dinner cocktails I always give the server a nice cash trip....then every night for the rest of the cruise they have always remembered my name, folio number and drink preference and are johnny on the spot to serve me in a crowded room ;)

[quote name='nieciez']On the first night of a cruise when I settle in pre-dinner at the lounge that I picked out for our pre-dinner cocktails I always give the server a nice cash trip....then every night for the rest of the cruise they have always remembered my name, folio number and drink preference and are johnny on the spot to serve me in a crowded room ;)[/quote]

bar service is a different animal. probably also a different thread.

[I][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I have never seen a cruise ship with a pool for the employees only. On our last cruise I found that our cabin steward did not work 24 hours a day. I called him and was told he was not on duty. It was late at night. He told me to call room service. I did and all was fine. Do cabin stewards have an assistant? Do cabin stewards have an assistant? Do you tip them also? [/SIZE][/FONT][/I]

I dont pre-tip/bribe/whatever. If I need something that is going to outside their usual tidying up routine I will give a little something. We have always had spectacular service.

At the end of the day, how you spend your money is your business. Why one would post their business on a public forum and then get bent when not everyone agrees with them is beyond me, to each their own, I suppose.

[quote name='nieciez']On the first night of a cruise when I settle in pre-dinner at the lounge that I picked out for our pre-dinner cocktails I always give the server a nice cash trip....then every night for the rest of the cruise they have always remembered my name, folio number and drink preference and are johnny on the spot to serve me in a crowded room ;)[/quote]

I like the way you think haha :D

Archived