Emerald Mini Suites

marshacher

Can anyone tell me if the mini-suites on Emerald will be roomy enough to keep a motor scooter and a liquid oxygen tank? I know the standard size cabins would be too small but not sure about the mini-suites.

Also, if we have to go the full suite route are the cabins directly under the pools noisey? We may be between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me if the mini-suites on Emerald will be roomy enough to keep a motor scooter and a liquid oxygen tank? I know the standard size cabins would be too small but not sure about the mini-suites.

Also, if we have to go the full suite route are the cabins directly under the pools noisey? We may be between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks.

Are you asking about a handicapped scooter? If so, there is not enough space to get them past the end of the bed in a mini suite (that is if you can even get them through the door), and no place to park them right inside the door without blocking the bathroom entrance. Keep in mind, even with full suites, the doors are the same size, and unless the scooter is very narrow, you won't be able to get it into the cabin, and Princess does not allow them to be parked in the hallways anymore. Accessible cabins have a wider door and easy access to bring a scooter into the stateroom, as they are about 40%-50% bigger than regular saterooms.

As for the full suites under the pools, that all depends on which one you are looking to book. We were directly under a walkway below the pool deck and it was the nosiest cabin/suite we have ever sailed in, from early in the AM until very late into the night.

It sounds like you'll need a handicapped cabin, if only to get the scooter through the door. You are not allowed to leave it in the hallway; it must be stored in your cabin when not in use. As Toto says, even if you could get it through the door, you wouldn't be able to get it past the end of the bed and the wall. The benefit to a mini-suite is an additional sitting area, 2nd TV and larger bathroom, which has a tub/shower and might be very difficult for someone with a disability to get in and out of. To get to the sitting area, you have to get past the bed.

We've never had a problem with the small scooters on any other cruise ship. Doors are standard size the scooters can fit thru most of them. My problem is the room we would have, or not have, to store it in the cabin. Sounds as if the configuration of the cabin will not allow for this.

On another cruise line their mini-suite were square so there was lots of room to maneuver the little scooter.

Toto2Kansas has talked me out of the suites below the pools. If we go the suite route it would have to be at the rear of the ship.

Thank you all for your input. We may just have to go back to our other cruise line. We do like Princess but we have to deal with our problems. Decisions, decisions!

We've never had a problem with the small scooters on any other cruise ship. Doors are standard size the scooters can fit thru most of them. My problem is the room we would have, or not have, to store it in the cabin. Sounds as if the configuration of the cabin will not allow for this.

On another cruise line their mini-suite were square so there was lots of room to maneuver the little scooter.

Toto2Kansas has talked me out of the suites below the pools. If we go the suite route it would have to be at the rear of the ship.

Thank you all for your input. We may just have to go back to our other cruise line. We do like Princess but we have to deal with our problems. Decisions, decisions!

If you have time, take a look at this link. There are pics from the Diamond Princess- Interior Room-

Pretty snazzy...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1358474

Perhaps these photos will help you decide. As you can see, there isn't a lot of open space.

Crown%252520D418%2525204.jpg

Crown%252520D418%2525202.jpg

Crown%252520D418%2525201.jpg

That's an awesome cabin. However, we need a balcony. We'll try and get a rear of the ship suite.

Thanks all.

Princess does have handicapped balcony cabins. I am not sure about the door sizes but the rooms are very large as we toured one on a cabin crawl one time. If you look at the deck plans for Caribe on the Emerald you will find 4 of the handicapped balcony cabins, C301 C302 C303 and C304. There may be others on the other decks, I just found those during a quick search. I remember the room being much wider as to accomodate a wheelchair. I don't think you would have to spend all the extra to get a suite if a balcony cabin will be large enough unless you wanted the suite.

I did some searaching myself and yes, Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald deck all have accessible rooms with balconies. I would rather not spring for a suite - too expensive and not really needed. Room for scooter and balcony are all we require. I will look into these rooms and hopefully one will be available.

Do appreciate all your responses. Now if I could get some pictures of these accessible rooms on the Emerald Princess it would make my day.:)

I did some searaching myself and yes, Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald deck all have accessible rooms with balconies. I would rather not spring for a suite - too expensive and not really needed. Room for scooter and balcony are all we require. I will look into these rooms and hopefully one will be available.

Do appreciate all your responses. Now if I could get some pictures of these accessible rooms on the Emerald Princess it would make my day.:)

Have you tried Webshots? You can type in the cabin number and ship name and maybe something will turn up. Also try the cabin selection tips thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207

Maybe someone there or the Disabled Cruise Travel thread would have photos to share.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I remember taking photos at that crawl but they are on my computer that crashed. I don't think I have them anymore but will look to see. If I have them I will come back here and post.

I found this one on Webshots. It's on the Star but the balcony rooms should be the same on the Emerald. If my memory is correct the difference between the two ships is the Emerald would have an extra deck but these cabins should be the same.

As you can see the there is a lot more room between the foot of the bed and the wall.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2289865030101628544xIMtzh

This is one of the HC balcony cabins on Diamond Princess: B303

BG-48.jpg

BG-50.jpg

BG-49.jpg

DiaB303d-1.jpg

The better part of valor would be to try to get one of the four HC cabins on Caribe deck, as the balcony would be twice as deep. EM

Princess does have handicapped balcony cabins. I am not sure about the door sizes but the rooms are very large as we toured one on a cabin crawl one time. If you look at the deck plans for Caribe on the Emerald you will find 4 of the handicapped balcony cabins, C301 C302 C303 and C304. There may be others on the other decks, I just found those during a quick search. I remember the room being much wider as to accomodate a wheelchair. I don't think you would have to spend all the extra to get a suite if a balcony cabin will be large enough unless you wanted the suite.
Balcony cabins 301, 302, 303 and 304 on Caribe, Baja, Aloha and Riviera decks are all accessible with larger doors and they are approximately 50% larger than standard balconies. In addition, mini-suites D304, D308, D703 and D707 are also accessible with larger doors and are also approximately 50% larger than standard mini-suites. The only accessible full suite shown is R415. Any of these rooms should meet you needs.

Thank you all for your replies. I already asked my TA to check on availability of the HC mini suites. If not, then the HC balcony cabins would be serviceable.

It's not that my DH isn't mobile, it's just that he's on oxygen and can't walk a great distance without shortness of breath. I can't push a wheelchair anymore, hence the scooter. And the liquid oxygen tank takes up a lot of room in the cabins. But he still goes and still does what he can do. Good attitude.

Essiesmom

Thank you for the pictures. This cabin certainly would be acceptable. Why would the HC balconies on Caribe deck be deeper? You can't tell from the deck plans on the website. The balcony on your pictures sure is pretty narrow.

Most, if not all of the balconies on the Caribe deck are deeper. It is to compensate for the mini-suites one deck below (Dolphin Deck)- The minis are larger than the balcony rooms yet the deck railings are parallel. The Caribe balconies are several sqyare feet larger and also half covered and half uncovered. Very nice perk.:)

Thanks for your reply Tracie. Here's the question. Would you opt for an HC balcony on Caribe or an HC mini-suite on Dolphin? (You'll probably say depends on whether you want more cabin room or more balcony room). I'm sure the HC balcony room would be large enough - and cheaper.

Thanks for your reply Tracie. Here's the question. Would you opt for an HC balcony on Caribe or an HC mini-suite on Dolphin? (You'll probably say depends on whether you want more cabin room or more balcony room). I'm sure the HC balcony room would be large enough - and cheaper.
The usual answer is do you want more room and a shower with a tub instead of a tiny shower, but with the accessible rooms you will have a large walk-in shower either way. If we are doing a port intensive cruise we opt for a Caribe balcony while on cruises with few port days we appreciate the additional room in the mini-suite during the day on sea days. For next year's cruise on the Emerald we have a mini-suite for the TA and then switch to a balcony for the Baltic RT as that cruise has only two sea days.

One additional difference to bear in mind is the covering over the balcony. On Caribe deck, the balconies are half covered by the balconies on upper decks and then half (the half by the rail) uncovered. On Dolphin deck, all the balconies are completely uncovered and open to view from the decks above.

With the HC mini, I do not believe you gain any space over a regular mini, just a different configuration to accommodate the w/c or scooter. I actually think you would have more space in the Caribe HC cabin, and the larger balcony with some shade. EM

Archived