Best cruise line for Panama Canal Cruise

BR47

@ luvs2trvl

Norwegian also runs a few ships through the Canal. We're going on the N.Star this December, and she makes a couple more (at least) 'bounces' between Miami and Los Angeles. I think I saw where the N.Jewel makes at least one relocation sailing through the Canal.

NCL is not, apparently, known for enrichment activities like lectures and classes, however. I would look at HAL for that, at least as of 2009. However, their PC sailings did not suit our schedule, as late as we booked this trip near the end of October!

Good luck and HAVE FUN! -- E.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best cruise line for a Panama Canal cruise? Were thinking Princess or Celebrity but looking for suggestions and best itinery.

Thanks for your help.

We did the full transit on Celebrity Millennium this past October and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were guest lecturers who explained the canal history and passage, plus several other lecturers on a variety of subjects, great food and nice music. No hairy legs contests - just a good time. I highly recommend it.

We're doing the transit from Miami to San Francisco, as par of a b/b/b , this May for the second time on Oceania. They do a wonderful job and had a great lecturer before, after and during the transit.

Wow! This sounds fantastic! I hope you will post a review with lots of pictures. I would enjoy it and I think others would enjoy it as well.

Happy Cruising!

• 1 month later...
This thread is over two years old but it's still interesting to read it. We are looking forward to doing the partial transit next year on Princess.

Jim - my wife and I completed a fantastic Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess this past October. It was the very best cruise we've ever been on. The transit through the canal was unbelievable, especially if you remember the canal is 100 years old! One of things we like the best was the space to passenger ratio... we never felt crowded, pushed, or rushed. We've been on a few of the "larger" ships and often felt like cattle in a stockyard.

We enjoyed the dining options (Anytime for MDR) and the specialty restaurants. Also, make sure you check the Patters each morning for special dining events. There seemed to be a special luncheon almost every day. Our two favorites were the Sushi Luncheon and the evening Crab Shack (that was available several nights).

We always found something enjoyable in the evening in the way of entertainment. If you do go to the main shows, you will need to get there early to find a seat. However, there was always plenty room in the bars and pubs.

You’re going to have a great time.

Jim - my wife and I completed a fantastic Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess this past October. It was the very best cruise we've ever been on. The transit through the canal was unbelievable, especially if you remember the canal is 100 years old! One of things we like the best was the space to passenger ratio... we never felt crowded, pushed, or rushed. We've been on a few of the "larger" ships and often felt like cattle in a stockyard.

We enjoyed the dining options (Anytime for MDR) and the specialty restaurants. Also, make sure you check the Patters each morning for special dining events. There seemed to be a special luncheon almost every day. Our two favorites were the Sushi Luncheon and the evening Crab Shack (that was available several nights).

We always found something enjoyable in the evening in the way of entertainment. If you do go to the main shows, you will need to get there early to find a seat. However, there was always plenty room in the bars and pubs.

You’re going to have a great time.

Thanks for your input. It is very encouraging to read such positive comments about this cruise. We normally take seven day cruises. Since this one is longer than what we are used to, we are a little anxious and yet excited about it at the same time.

Did you do a review of your cruise? I would like to read it if you did.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We did a partial in 2004 on Splendor of the seas out of Galveston

12nts. cabin 8044.

Hoping to due full trip before we get too old.

This sounds great! I hope someday RCI will offer long cruise itineraries from Galveston like this one.

It is nice to have a RCI ship there all year long, but the seven day itineraries now offered are no different than Carnival and Princess.

• 2 weeks later...
Read all the posts, no one mentioned RCI..Legend of the Sea.....

HAL was always "old" in our minds, not that we are "young". So we have concerns. Any help, please!!!

We have gone through the Panama Canal 3 times, all of them with HAL. One b2b cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego and back. Another one around South America and back to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal. HAL ships have an accessible forward deck for close-up viewing.

HAL has cooking demonstrations and various other ship board activities. The passengers on all cruises longer than 7 days tend to be on the more mature side, not only on HAL. The Canal cruises have a mix of ages because lots of people are interested in that.

I would travel with HAL again, but I prefer Oceania for its MUCH better food and elegant ships without formal nights. We crossed Princess from our list after we were on a Princess ship that lacked maintenance, dingy carpets, buffet without spoon rests, engine problem.

I did a full transit on the NCL Star in December last year. Not the best ship or best food I have experienced but nonetheless it was just a sensational experience with great activities staff and made even more enjoyable by the fantastic people we met on board.

The freestyle concept just seemed a great fit with this itinerary.

Edited by woodyren

My husband and I recently booked a panama canal cruise for September 2015 on Celebrity's Infinity. We can not wait. I am already spending time on all the boards here to find out what we will need to plan for - especially shore excursions. Would love to have a list of "must see" places.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Princess 10 day Southern Carribbean several years ago, which incl Panama Canal, Ocho Rios, Cartagena. Great trip. A professor from NYU gave two talks on the history of the canal build which was terrific. Highly recommend this cruise.

My husband and I recently booked a panama canal cruise for September 2015 on Celebrity's Infinity. We can not wait. I am already spending time on all the boards here to find out what we will need to plan for - especially shore excursions. Would love to have a list of "must see" places.

Hi

See my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1787067

Tom:)

• 3 months later...
What is the best cruise line for a Panama Canal cruise? Were thinking Princess or Celebrity but looking for suggestions and best itinery.

Thanks for your help.

We did the Panama on Island Princess. Great trip Great Ship. Not sure about other deck, however, Deck 11 (Baja) has a forward and stern viewing deck area that can accommodate 30 people or more and is a great area to view the Canal Transit. Our stateroom was B226 (Mini-suite) so we had a balcony, but the forward and aft view area are a Plus.

• 4 years later...
On 11/10/2014 at 4:34 PM, retrembl said:

We did the Panama on Island Princess. Great trip Great Ship. Not sure about other deck, however, Deck 11 (Baja) has a forward and stern viewing deck area that can accommodate 30 people or more and is a great area to view the Canal Transit. Our stateroom was B226 (Mini-suite) so we had a balcony, but the forward and aft view area are a Plus.

Both Island & Coral Princess have 2 fwd decks, below the Bridge, that are available to passengers.

• Like 2