Going solo, payiny enough for 2, do I get credit for 2?

Hey everyone, So I'm going solo and I am paying 200%, so basically I am paying for 2 people to stay in my cabin. If I'm paying the same amount of money 2 people would pay and they would both get, shouldn't I get the same amount of credits too?? The way I see it, I'm paying all the money and only getting 1/2 the credits....

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It doesn't depend on who pays or how much. Each person on the cruise gets one set of credits per cruise.

I can pay $X for my son & I to go, or pretty much the same $X for me to go solo.

Either way, I only get credit for myself. I don't get the credit for his cruise.

If a husband and wife are cruising together, and she pays for the cruise, should she get both credits? Can you see how messy this could be? Arguments over who paid? And if Mom & Dad take the kids on a cruise, and pay out of their joint bank account, who gets which credits? Should you get less credit for the third and fourth person in the cabin because they were charged less? etc etc...

Thanks for the reply guys, cruise credits are a sore spot with me, I once took my parents on a cruse with me and paid for all 3 of us together in a cabin and I didn't get a single credit:( not sure how that one worked. I can see why a 3rd person wouldn't get a credit, but since I paid I should have got at least got the 1st person credit.:(

Hey Sandy - I'm finally doing my first solo cruise in December aboard the Navigator...and I'm getting double points - because of the Diamonds in December event!!!!!!! Booked my cruise before the announcement, so this was a nice surprise...12 credits for 6!

Thanks for the reply guys, cruise credits are a sore spot with me, I once took my parents on a cruse with me and paid for all 3 of us together in a cabin and I didn't get a single credit:( not sure how that one worked. I can see why a 3rd person wouldn't get a credit, but since I paid I should have got at least got the 1st person credit.:(

If you took the cruise, you should certainly have gotten a credit - do you still have proof that you were on this cruise (seapass or receipt or even photos)? Call C&A and make sure you get the credit you deserve. Doesn't matter if there are five people in a cabin, each one gets a credit (or two if it's a suite or a long cruise).

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It doesn't depend on who pays or how much. Each person on the cruise gets one set of credits per cruise.

I can pay $X for my son & I to go, or pretty much the same $X for me to go solo.

Either way, I only get credit for myself. I don't get the credit for his cruise.

If a husband and wife are cruising together, and she pays for the cruise, should she get both credits? Can you see how messy this could be? Arguments over who paid? And if Mom & Dad take the kids on a cruise, and pay out of their joint bank account, who gets which credits? Should you get less credit for the third and fourth person in the cabin because they were charged less? etc etc...

I think you are making the whole issue way too complicated. It would be quite easy to give two credits to a solo cruiser who is paying 200% of the booking fee if RCI chose to. The simple answer to the question is that RCI just won't do it.

Sandy - Super idea to have a drink together before our Dec. 4 cruises...are you sailing of FLL, though? It would be great to see ya again!

Tell Richard hello for me...you'll love his house, I'm sure. I should send my regrets - I won't be attending this time around!;)

You are a prime example that it's possible for a solo cruiser to attain Pinnacle status. Of course it helps if ya book suites, B2B's or B2B2B's, does it? Sandy, you're a single, solo cruiser's idol!!:D:D

Seriously, to the OP - I understand your frustration, but enjoy your cruise and don't fret about the point system because the benefits of solo cruising ouweights double points!

Hey everyone, So I'm going solo and I am paying 200%, so basically I am paying for 2 people to stay in my cabin. If I'm paying the same amount of money 2 people would pay and they would both get, shouldn't I get the same amount of credits too?? The way I see it, I'm paying all the money and only getting 1/2 the credits....

Well I agree with you but it definately doesn't work that way. i think if you are the one paying the bill you should get the cruise credits. When my youngest graduated HS, we took 10 people on a cruise and i always thought those should have been my credits. LOL.

Anna,

Sadly Royal doesn't give double credits for singles sailing solo. Princess will give you 2 credits for sailing solo which to me is only fair. Enjoy your cruise.

Lisa

I see both sides of it. You pay double, you want double points. But single cruisers don't general the same level of onboard spending (i.e. profit!) as doubles. And that is where cruise lines make a lot of their money.

May I ask what credits you are referring to...:confused:

Royal Caribbean and many other cruise lines award 'loyalty' for those who stick with them. You sign up on line then the Cruise line gives cruise 'credits' for each cruise you take. AT RCI, after the first cruise you are considered a 'gold' member until you have cruised like ten cruises...then you are platinum, then diamond etc...each tier has benefits like priority seating, robes in your rooms, room upgrades etc...check out the cruise lines website for details.

You should not have to pay 200% Our TA has always gotten the tax portion waived for my SIL. That being said, my sister in law chooses to go on more Princess cruises solo. That way she gets credit for paying almost double for her cruise. If she's with the family group, she will book Royal. Princess is a lovely line to sail on also. (We too have sailed on Princess)

OP probably means 200% cruise fare. It is commonly referred to as 200%, even though taxes aren't doubled.

However, you are right. It isn't exactly 200% overall because RCI doesn't charge taxes.

PLease note: i think that if RCI could keep the taxes, they would charge it to you, but there is nothing in it for them as it would be illegal to charge taxes for someone who is not there. Plus, even if charged, it wouldn't be theirs to keep.

I´m sailing solo and while I enjoy the double points/credits on Princess I´m equally fine the way it works on RCI.

By all means it´s a loyalty programm. We get something for free, they don´t even have to give at all.

To those saying the points should go to the one paying the bill.... what a nightmare will that create for them:eek:

- Most double cabins are likely occupied by family and the bill goes to one person. So only one of them will get the points? One spouse will be D+ in no time while the other one has no points at all and of course if they go that route they can´t allow any "same household / same status" anymore, because that way one would get all points and the rest piggy backs on.

- Sometimes when friends sail together, one might officially pay the bill and gets reimbursed by the friend.

-Missing past cruises: They cant easily credit past cruises anymore, as they need to check who paid the bill and if points have been credited.

Sure they could do all this, but I think it would be much more of a nightmare to them, than the whole programm is worth to them.

At the end of the day their programm - their rules.

I think you are missing the point. The OP isnt saying its because she is paying for another real person.

Actually it is easy to determine if there is only one person in a cabin or not. OP is talking about solo cruising .. not just if I pay for a 2nd person in my cabin.

OP's point is in regard to one person in the cabin. RCL can tell if you sail solo or not.. dont know why people are getting off into paying for someone else's cruise.

I have never paid 200% on Royal Caribbean when traveling solo, but, I have paid 200% on Holland America and NCL. If you shop around when traveling with Royal Caribbean, you'll find many cruises that have single fares of that are below the 200% mark. Granted, you have to be somewhat flexible, but, the lower supplements are there with RC.

Here a useful link to a thread on Cruise Critic where bargains are posted for solo travelers:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324&page=61

This link is for Royal Caribbean Monday/Tuesday sales that usually list lower supplements for solo travelers:

In addition, when you reach 350 points in the Crown and Anchor Society loyalty program, you are entitled to 150% fares when traveling solo with the execption of 2 months out of the year.

I have never paid 200% on Royal Caribbean when traveling solo, but, I have paid 200% on Holland America and NCL. If you shop around when traveling with Royal Caribbean, you'll find many cruises that have single fares of that are below the 200% mark. Granted, you have to be somewhat flexible, but, the lower supplements are there with RC.

Here a useful link to a thread on Cruise Critic where bargains are posted for solo travelers:

This link is for Royal Caribbean Monday/Tuesday sales that usually list lower supplements for solo travelers:

In addition, when you reach 350 points in the Crown and Anchor Society loyalty program, you are entitled to 150% fares when traveling solo with the execption of 2 months out of the year.

Christmas cruises, New Year's Eve cruises and ALL OF JULY AND AUGUST are blacked out for that solo break! Ticks me off ROYALLY!

Why not just come right out and say "We hate teachers?!?!?!?" :mad:

Anything for diamonds?? Its going to be forever before I hit 350 points.

I have looked at those supplements, and dont see any less than 200% out of Galveston. .. probably missed them .. but usually only see lower supplements out of Florida, so saving a little is offset by having to pay to fly to florida.

Christmas cruises, New Year's Eve cruises and ALL OF JULY AND AUGUST are blacked out for that solo break! Ticks me off ROYALLY!

Why not just come right out and say "We hate teachers?!?!?!?" :mad:

It's not so much that they hate teachers but that those are their busiest weeks. I don't like it either but from a companies outlook it makes sense. However many summer sailings if you are flexible can be found at a lower supplement rate if the ship is slower than usual in sales.

Anything for diamonds?? Its going to be forever before I hit 350 points.

I have looked at those supplements, and dont see any less than 200% out of Galveston. .. probably missed them .. but usually only see lower supplements out of Florida, so saving a little is offset by having to pay to fly to florida.

Flexibility is the key, nothing works out 100% of the time. Best of luck to you. :-)

Archived