GTY cabin assignment at the pier?

jjl64

I have read several posts here about people not getting their GTY cabin assignment untill they got to the pier the day of their cruise. If this happens, what do they do with their luggage? You have to give your bags to the porters before you can check in, so how do they know what room to deliver the bags to later if they don't have luggage tags on them?

When you turn your luggage over, the porters will have a master list of cabins with your actual cabin number on it for that sailing. If you don't receive your assignment before you leave, just print off your luggage tags and take a pen or marker to add your actual number before you check your bags. ;)

How do they handle delivering to the right cabin when you've filled in what you thought was your cabin assignment only to discover you've been upgraded when you check-in?
Your luggage might be delayed slightly, but it will find it's way to the correct cabin eventually. ;)

We did not get our cabin assignment until it was too late to print our luggage tags for one cruise. The porter had plenty of extra tags and double-checked his list to make sure the cabin number I told him was correct. He said sometimes that the cabins assigned at the last-minute change again.

On our second cruise we were upgraded to a balcony when we checked in. It must have been a last minute cancellation because there were Happy Anniversary balloons and a sign on the door to the cabin. Our luggage did make it to the right room. I don't remember if it was late getting there -- but I do know that we didn't have to do anything to try to locate it.

Thanks for all of the answers. We normally just pick the cabin we want and book it, but we decided to save some money on our January Princess cruise and book the GTY. I've always wondered how they handled the luggage issue without a cabin assignment. :)

Archived