Kronborg vs. Frederiksborg

gogogo8

If we only had time to fit one of these castles into our visit, which would you choose...Kronborg or Frederiksborg. Is there anything that makes one more attractive than the other? Thank you for your opinions.

Ohhhh... I can feel your pain in asking this question! I was in the same place last year!! I couldn't decide between the two castles and my DH said it was completely my decision - he had "his" in the Helsinki fortress, etc.

I really wanted to go to Kronborg on our own - except there was work being done on the train tracks last year and a bus was invloved - seemed too complicated!

So we took the ship's excursion to see both Fredericksborg (very magestic + historic museum) and Kronborg (lovely but not enough time!) plus a quick stop at Fredensborg Castle (the summer castle) and lunch. It was just too much and I rarely admit that!

We had a goof time and it didn't ruin the cruise, but, in hindsight, I would have just gone to Kronborg and enjoyed the town + castle.

Fredericksborg Castle

Day12Copenhagen%252520168.jpg?imgmax=640

Day12Copenhagen%252520052.jpg?imgmax=640

Chapel inside the Castle

Day12Copenhagen%252520083.jpg?imgmax=640

Kronborg Castle

Day12Copenhagen%252520229.jpg?imgmax=640

Kronborg Castle seen from our ship after we left Copenhagen

Day12Copenhagen%252520415.jpg?imgmax=640

We did Fredericksberg (based on Danish Viking's recommendation) during our pre-cruise stay. While we entertained the idea of taking the local train from Fredericksberg to Kronberg, we decided that would be too much in one day.

We arrived early to stroll the gardens before the castle opened at 10. There were a lot of other tourists there at that time. Around 10, the gardens cleared out. We waited for the initial rush to ebb before we entered the castle.

We planned to stay an extra day after our cruise, so we toured Rosenborg in the morning before heading to the airport for our (scheduled) afternoon flight.

(The rest of the story is a cancelled flight, an extra night in Copenhagen at airline's expense, and a 30+ hour travel day with a 12-hour layover in Chicago due to a myriad of reasons.) Still a great great trip!!!!!!!

Archived