Playa PortoMari?

SassyGirl

We are going to Curacao end of January 2012. Anyone been to Playa Porto Mari lately - say the last three months. If so, please give us an update on the cost and conditions.

Thanks!

We were there eight days ago (1/2/12).

We were a group of 15 (nine adults, two small children, and four teenagers). Taxi driver quoted us $25/pp round-trip, but he only charged for 10 people, so it made the total fare $16.67/person round-trip. I asked about the $10pp each way fare, and he said that was an old rate. Regardless, we paid less than I had anticipated, so it worked out well for us. The taxi driver was very friendly and gave us a nice overview of the history of the island.

I did not keep track of time, but it probably took 30 minutes each way. We arrived at Porto Mari just before 9:30am. We had asked to be picked up again at 1:30pm (two hours before we were due back on the Carnival Miracle*). Even after going back on the ship to drop off our things, my family had some time to explore Willemstad (and cross the really cool pontoon bridge); I stayed on the ship with my kids so they could nap.

* - Coordinate your watches. Curacao is one hour ahead of ship time!

It is absolutely gorgeous and well worth the fare and travel time. Entrance fee is $2.50pp, and chairs are $3pp. That day, a lady was walking around with a fanny pack collecting money and handing back receipts. There is lots of swimming and snorkeling opportunities, as well as sunbathing spots--and shade if you want it. If there was one issue, it was that it got pretty crowded as the day progressed.

There is a dive shop and restaurant. Please note: if you have peanut allergies, it's recommended to avoid ordering any food from the kitchen, as they grind peanuts to make their own peanut sauce. Fortunately, I had been in contact with someone there prior to the stop. Miss Swede has a peanut allergy, so we brought a sandwich for her from the ship. The restaurant's bacon, brie, and honey sandwich is delicious.

There is restroom facilities with two outdoor showers. Inside the restroom is a semi-enclosed area where you can change clothes. Another nice feature is the small wading pool to get the sand off your feet before putting on your sandals.

This was our favorite stop of the cruise, and we'd visit Curacao again in a heartbeat!

Archived