Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

a card from engineering to department heads to close somethings called Ports And Deadlights On The Decks which had to be signed by the Officer of the water, the engineering department and steward department.

You probably know that deadlights are the steel coverings of portholes usually found associated with the portholes of staterooms on the lowest decks.  Orders for those to be closed are issued when rough seas are expected that might cause waves to hit the portholes and break the glass.  "Officer of the water"??  Looking forward to seeing that form.  

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You probably know that deadlights are the steel coverings of portholes usually found associated with the portholes of staterooms on the lowest decks.  Orders for those to be closed are issued when rough seas are expected that might cause waves to hit the portholes and break the glass.  "Officer of the water"??  Looking forward to seeing that form.  

lol Oops I made a typo, I mean *Officer Of The Watch* not water. Not sure why I typed water. The form is not what you'd expect, it's more of a pink colored card instead of a sheet.

• Haha 1

On 9/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

More of my SS United States items came in, I'm just waiting now on the 2 first class sticker tags. Here are the photos I took of the items that arrived today including that one I told you about the deadlights and ports. And a June 27, 1960 Gala Dinner Menu, and a sign saying the dining room is closed. And a daily steward overtime report form (unfilled). More photos will be added as haven't taken photos of everything yet.

1954 to 1955 Sailing Schedule.jpg

Department Heads Card.jpg

June 27 1960 Gala Dinner Menu.jpg

SS United States Cleaning Sheets.jpg

SS United States Dining Room Closed Sign.jpg

SS United States Landing Card.jpg

United States Lines Daily Overtime Report.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I took of the items that arrived today including that one I told you about the deadlights and ports. And a June 27, 1960 Gala Dinner Menu, 

Given the heading on that card, the red color might have been chosen because of the urgency to have the task done.  I wonder how these cards would have been gotten to the necessary department heads quickly.

The United States Line's Gala Menu covers all seem to be of the same design with only the ship picture changing.  The ones that I have from the America have that ship on the covers.  

On 9/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, rkacruiser said:

Given the heading on that card, the red color might have been chosen because of the urgency to have the task done.  I wonder how these cards would have been gotten to the necessary department heads quickly.

The United States Line's Gala Menu covers all seem to be of the same design with only the ship picture changing.  The ones that I have from the America have that ship on the covers.  

The final remainders of my SS United States items arrived today, so can finally post the photos of the last of the items I was waiting for. Just some small things like 2 envelopes, one is for Airmail, a postcard and 2 unused luggage stickers for First Class.

SS United States Postcard.jpg

United States Lines Airmail Envelope.jpg

United States Lines Envelope.jpg

United States Lines First Class Tags.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I ought to know the answer to my question, but I can't think of it.

What does the letter "I" signify on the luggage stickers?  

The "I" would have been for someone whom their last name began with I for claiming their luggage on the pier.  There would have been alphabetical letters hanging overhead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, westerdam said:

The "I" would have been for someone whom their last name began with I for claiming their luggage on the pier.  There would have been alphabetical letters hanging overhead.

Thank you!  I am somewhat embarrassed that I didn't remember that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thank you!  I am somewhat embarrassed that I didn't remember that.  

I have an interesting cruise postcard, it's a little sad as I don't know if the person who wrote it survived or not the disaster, but I have a November 9, 1965 SS Yarmouth Castle postcard, the ship would catch fire and burn November 13, 1965. I hope she survived, but she must have if I have the postcard now. this is the dated postcard for *that* fateful cruise.

ddpmd4g-a7dbf82b-09b8-4596-a2fb-032d3fbfb6e7.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I hope she survived, but she must have if I have the postcard now. this is the dated postcard for *that* fateful cruise.

What is the postmark on the post card?  If there is a message written on it, would you please share it with us?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What is the postmark on the post card?  If there is a message written on it, would you please share it with us?  

The postmark on the back is Nov, 9, 1965, only 4 days before the disaster, and sure, I'll post a photo of the back showing the message.

Yarmouth Castle Postcard.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

The postmark on the back is Nov, 9, 1965, only 4 days before the disaster, and sure, I'll post a photo of the back showing the message.

Thank you.  The post card got to the receiver after the disaster since it was postmarked in Nassau.  That might be a reason why the recipients saved the post card.  

On 9/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  The post card got to the receiver after the disaster since it was postmarked in Nassau.  That might be a reason why the recipients saved the post card.  

Got an interesting deck of playing cards, it's for the MS Sunward, but I have never seen these cards before. I know she was a ferry before becoming the NCL cruise ship, but I don't know if these are from her ferry days or when NCL had her. MS Sunward is the *only* ship name on the boxes and cards which is interesting. Also have a weird color deck for Princess Cruises as it's not blue and white, it's this deep green and white. Also got a nice double deck from Safmarine for the S.A. Vaal (which became the Festivale for Carnival). And a deck for the Sun Vista which would catch fire during a cruise and sink in 1999.

daayu5n-bb9611f5-f3e6-446f-85dc-ed3cb2b38989.jpg

dcuxu7w-e5139222-237b-466e-ab27-0474d126189a.jpg

kloster_sunward_ferries_playing_cards_by_wildelf34_dehsoyg-pre.jpg

princess_cruise_single_deck_green_by_wildelf34_d9y21o0-fullview.jpg

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Got an interesting deck of playing cards, it's for the MS Sunward, but I have never seen these cards before. I know she was a ferry before becoming the NCL cruise ship, but I don't know if these are from her ferry days or when NCL had her. MS Sunward is the *only* ship name on the boxes and cards which is interesting.

A quick Wikipedia search doesn't provide any more information to determine if those cards are from the NCL cruise ship or from its initial days as a ferry.  

Norboy, You mentioned two of our favorite ships!

Transvaal Castle/SA Vaal/Festivale/Island Breeze was a beautiful ship, both exterior and interior. Great open decks, too.

Sun Vista we sailed as Meridian.  Years later, on a different ship, our cabin steward told us he was on Sun Vista when she sank.  All aboard were rescued.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Norboy, You mentioned two of our favorite ships!

Transvaal Castle/SA Vaal/Festivale/Island Breeze was a beautiful ship, both exterior and interior. Great open decks, too.

Sun Vista we sailed as Meridian.  Years later, on a different ship, our cabin steward told us he was on Sun Vista when she sank.  All aboard were rescued.

I have an inaugural brochure for the Meridian and the Horizon. The brochure is interesting as both *Chandris* and *Celebrity* are on front cover. Celebrity Cruises is at the top, but look at the bottom and you'll see Chandris. The brochure is dated 1990. Here are photos of the brochure, a Meridian deck plan and a Chandris spoon for the Galileo.

d8xlhro-c4976215-cae3-4e5a-a27c-cf120ce7c572.jpg

daea26v-ec9cde9f-e422-4c4d-bd85-89c398a1098b.jpg

dcinhot-8a6d8ed9-4020-4436-acce-5c7c1f9b895a.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have some nice vintage Soviet Era Cruise Ship memorabilia, a nice collection of pins, postcards, and 2  45 rpm records. I have these cruise ships in my collection: *most of the names listed are the pins*

1 Admiral Nakhimov
2 The Ship "Ukraine"
3 The Ship "Georgia"
4 Byelorussia
5 Azerbaijan
6 Taras Shevchenko
7 "Ivan Franko"
8 Russia (above)/Dnipro (below)
9 Ship "Latvia"
10 Rustaveli
11 Dnipro
12 "Colchis"
13 Uzbekistan
14 Abkhazia
15 Baltiкa
16 Riverflot Ukraine 
17 Mikhail Kalinin
18 Adjara

19.Mikhail Lermontov

20.Alexander Pushkin

21.Gruziya

soviet_era_ship_pins_by_wildelf34_d8srnvf-fullview.jpg

aleksandr_pushkin_45_rpm_record_by_wildelf34_ddiwlnt-pre.jpg

ms_mikhail_lermontov_45rpm_record_by_wildelf34_ddh0wof-fullview.jpg

black_sea_shipping_company_ships_by_wildelf34_ddkswld-pre.jpg

ms_maxim_gorkiy_by_wildelf34_ddmqfgq-fullview.jpg

admiral_nakhimov_by_wildelf34_de65psr-fullview.jpg

ddmqguh-01d5c749-efcb-4ecb-9801-34a9e9fb286d.jpg

• Like 2

I had a friend who sailed 2 or 3 times on Marco Polo aka Alexander Pushkin and loved the ship.  She was aboard during a crossing of the Tasman Sea when King Neptune was upset.  She said that the ship was very steady and handled those rough seas well.

When I learned that a book had been written about the loss of Mikhail Lermontov in New Zealand waters, I tried to buy that book.  Not available from any source in North America that I contacted.  Booksellers agreed that it existed; they could not obtain it.  When I visited New Zealand, I started shopping.  A book dealer in Auckland could obtain it, but I would be long gone from New Zealand when it would arrive.  Booksellers in other ports that I visited, including the Maritime Museum in Wellington, did not have the book.  Visiting the Maritime Museum of Australia in Sydney, I was checking out their gift shop.  Lo and behold, they had 2 copies of the book.  They had only 1 copy when I left the shop.  In interesting read with good photos in the book.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I had a friend who sailed 2 or 3 times on Marco Polo aka Alexander Pushkin and loved the ship.  She was aboard during a crossing of the Tasman Sea when King Neptune was upset.  She said that the ship was very steady and handled those rough seas well.

When I learned that a book had been written about the loss of Mikhail Lermontov in New Zealand waters, I tried to buy that book.  Not available from any source in North America that I contacted.  Booksellers agreed that it existed; they could not obtain it.  When I visited New Zealand, I started shopping.  A book dealer in Auckland could obtain it, but I would be long gone from New Zealand when it would arrive.  Booksellers in other ports that I visited, including the Maritime Museum in Wellington, did not have the book.  Visiting the Maritime Museum of Australia in Sydney, I was checking out their gift shop.  Lo and behold, they had 2 copies of the book.  They had only 1 copy when I left the shop.  In interesting read with good photos in the book.  

As you can see, I have a pin, a nice 45 rpm record and a couple of nice postcards for the Mikhail Lermontov. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 5:39 PM, shipgeeks said:

We looked into sailing on Gruziya at one time, but never did.  We did see her while in Cozumel, though, docked not far from our ship that day.

Sailing on one of the Russian cruise ships must have been a different cruise experience.  

On 10/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, rkacruiser said:

Sailing on one of the Russian cruise ships must have been a different cruise experience.  

the interiors were ok, I read that by the time the Admiral Nakhimov sank, a lot of passengers said she was really beat looking inside and outside. The ships were just so-so interior wise, some public rooms were kinda plain and boring, especialy the cabins as you'll see in this postcard, note the cabin, no art on the walls, kinda plain blue couch, a sorta chocolate carpet floor. Also this shot of a bar in a lot of olive greens and sorta mustard.

bar.jpg

Poet-Class-PC.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, norboy76 said:

The ships were just so-so interior wise, some public rooms were kinda plain and boring, especialy the cabins as you'll see in this postcard, note the cabin, no art on the walls, kinda plain blue couch, a sorta chocolate carpet floor. Also this shot of a bar in a lot of olive greens and sorta mustard.

Very utilitarian looking decor which is what I saw when I visited Petropavlovsk during a shore excursion in 2002.  The view of a Lounge in the upper left corner picture shows a bit more color; looks interesting.  

That was our impression, too.  We must have had a brochure or two, and been attracted to the exterior and size of Gruziya.  But even the brochure showed a rather plain interior, more like a college dorm, perhaps, than a ship as we know now.

• Thanks 1