What happens if ????

yost van dyke

We missed 2 out of 3 ports .. its happens.

carnival gives you OBC the taxes on the port fees, not the port fees, just the small taxes on it .. approx $10 pp per port missed or maybe a tad more. We got less for missing Jamaica than for Caymans.

your going on a western It and a hurricane keeps you from going to 3 out 4 ports what wii\ll carnival do? I know they can do whatever they want but has anybody been through this?

My husband and I went through this on our honeymoon and again last year. Our honeymoon was with RCL and last year was on CCL. We got married in Oct. of 05. Hurricane Wilma destroyed all three ports scheduled and we only went to two. 1. Ocho Rios Jamaica, 2. Progresso Mexico. Original ports: Key West, Cozumel & Grand Caymen. We did have excursions booked and they refunded our money. They did not give us anything. It clearly states that ports or call are subject to change and they are not guaranteed. Last year Hurricane Mathew was looming. The day we got to the terminal, they handed us a flyer letting us know they reversed the ports of call. If you had excursions with CCL no big deal. If you booked with independents you had to make last minute changes. Then TS Nicole caused bad weather in Grand Caymen and we could not tender. Our Grand Caymen day became a Fun Day at Sea and the next day which was originally a Fun Day at Sea became a day in Costa Maya, Mexico an unscheduled port of call.

Bottom line. CCL does not guarantee certain ports or a certain number of ports. No refunds and no freebies will be given if something is missed. But do not worry. CCL relies on repeat business and they go out of their way to make your cruise enjoyable. They will not put you in danger and will try to reschedule or redirect ports of call as they see fit to make the customers safe and have a great time.

Last year Hurricane Mathew was looming. The day we got to the terminal, they handed us a flyer letting us know they reversed the ports of call. If you had excursions with CCL no big deal. If you booked with independents you had to make last minute changes. Then TS Nicole caused bad weather in Grand Caymen and we could not tender. Our Grand Caymen day became a Fun Day at Sea and the next day which was originally a Fun Day at Sea became a day in Costa Maya, Mexico an unscheduled port of call.

Liberty in septembre last year? I was on the same cruise!

I took a cruise back in oct 05 that was to be western and it turned into an eastern cruise. we were contacted and told the ship woould be leaving fla early( the hurrican was hitting there) so instead of flying we left friday night and drove all night to make sure we made the ship. still a good cruise even though we wanted to do the western side

Last fall when this happened to us, we played musical ports. First they reversed the order of the ports. We were suppose to go to Belize, Roatan and then Cozumel. We ended up going to Roatan, then Cozumel, Belize was cancelled, then tried to go to Costa Maya, but the seas were to rough to dock, so we went back to Cozumel. Carnival really tried. In the end I was just glad to be on a cruise.

I think they try to make cruisers happy, but the end result is to keep them safe.

You get to have more sea days, and that is always a plus in my book. I sail for the ship and not the destination. I know I am probably in the minority but I could take a 7 day cruise and never leave the ship. I love to be at sea.:D

I'm watching the weather channel, just waiting to see what's going to pop up in the next week! I'm a certified (or is that 'certifiable'??) Hurricane Magnet - just check my sig. So now when people ask where we're going on this cruise, I just tell them where we're "scheduled" to go!! Ya never know. But we've never had a bad cruise and I know we're going to have a great time again :D

What will Carnival do? On the Conquest last September when we missed Montego Bay and Grand Cayman due to TS Nicole they put extra security on to prevent the riot that was fixing to happen at guest services. Talk about a three ring circus. Didn't see anyone made to walk the plank or being keelhauled but some of them deserved it.

Several hours later when everyone and the seas calmed down Carnival opened the bars, free booze for everyone, and they got all the passengers drunk. They were still cleaning sticky up when we pulled back into Galveston. We also got a 25% discount off of a future cruise, although you ended up having to go to Carnivals IT department to get the link to work.

Have to say there really is something about sitting up nine decks above a tropical storm, drink in hand and watching the weather.

I'm watching the weather channel, just waiting to see what's going to pop up in the next week! I'm a certified (or is that 'certifiable'??) Hurricane Magnet - just check my sig. So now when people ask where we're going on this cruise, I just tell them where we're "scheduled" to go!! Ya never know. But we've never had a bad cruise and I know we're going to have a great time again :D

We think we are huricane causers too. Only , whatever port we sail out of get a huge huricane the following season. We hope it does not happen again. but we will not sail from new england because we are afraid.

We did New Orleans, then Katrina Came, We did Galveston then Huricane Ike. we are sailing Tampa this year , if they get a major Hurricane next year I think we may never cruise again

We're sailing withyouand just tonight I was scouring all the weather satellites looking for potential "course changers"... DH thinks I'm nuts.. (but there is one out there that *may* become problematic for us.... Either way, we will have a great time & now I know who to "blame" if we get detoured!!!!! :D

Hope Im never on a cruise with you, LOL!!

JK :D

But what happens on missing to 3 out of 4 would they at least give us 1 port out the way?

You have a better chance out of florida than out of the gulf. from the gulf they really cant reach other ports, there are none that they can substitute.

No ports are guaranteed.

I was on Conquest when Ike wiped out Galveston and I never saw my car again, we went into New Orleans and they left us to find our way home.

Who cares if you miss a port or two .. if you come home to your car and are safe.

It really depends what alternate ports they can go to by #1 how close it is #2 How many other ships are at the other port...ports can only accomodate a certain number of ships. Its really very rare that you would miss that many ports unless they were destroyed by a hurricane! Happy Cruising!

Oh, but we have a GREAT time! I'm a teacher, so I'm used to things being changed just when I think I know what's going to happen :D :D

As long as the Margaritas hold up, I'm good.

beachbum6264 - first I read your disaster list. Then I checked your ticker. I thought, good, that's not my ship. Then I had to go check what ports you're scheduled for. I should be safe - we're doing Eastern that week.

But, in good spirit, I hope we don't end up bumping into you - that would mean one of us didn't end up where we wanted to be!

your going on a western It and a hurricane keeps you from going to 3 out 4 ports what wii\ll carnival do? I know they can do whatever they want but has anybody been through this?

OR what happened to us can happen to you. Our first cruise was in 2005 out of Galveston on The Conquest. While at sea Hurricane Rita came and closed the port so we couldn't get back as scheduled. We spent two extra days at sea and visited a 4th port of call, Costa Maya. This port was not on our itinerary nor did Carnival charge us any extra fees (port taxes and fees) for stopping there. So if you dream of getting to an extra port while on a cruise I know that "dreams do come true and it might happen to you :p".

Ah, what direction do you go in? I ask because as you can see we are leaving a day before you and just want to make sure you're going in the opposite direction from us - LOL

We seem to attract bad weather on land - 1 week at the OuterBanks with Henri spinning off the coast, (2 days after we left, Isabel came through). Tornado at Myrtle Beach which headed straight down the beach (we hid under the hotel stairs); torrential rain at Tybee Island for days in the midst of a year long drought - that kind of stuff. At sea, we haven't done too badly.

But so long as we can get on the ship and out to sea, then all will be fine from there! :)

I had it happen on a 5 day, 2 port cruise... and it was my first cruise ever! We missed one port due to weather. I think we were given OBC, so the cruise was ultimately cheaper. Obviously it didn't hurt my opinion of cruising. We had a great time anyways! :)

You get to have more sea days, and that is always a plus in my book. I sail for the ship and not the destination. I know I am probably in the minority but I could take a 7 day cruise and never leave the ship. I love to be at sea.:D

Applause Applause Applause...

I'm the same way..

Archived