Oceania's Free Shuttles List

hoffdahl

First, just back from Oceania Baltic Treasures cruise (July 2, 2012 - Copenhagen to Stockholm). The daily newsletter made it clear that the shuttles were operated by the ports, not Oceania.

We had shuttles in:

Ronne (Bornholm) to the town centre - right to the main bus stop / ticket seller

Gdynia (for Gdansk) to the centre near pier with the old battleship. About 10-15 walk to the train station. Don't try to walk from or to the ship - very industrial.

Tallinn - shuttle to main road just outside the city wall

Helsinki - shuttle to the end of the Esplanade near the main shops

In other places, it was easy to get around without a shuttle.

Thanks very much for this info (in Baltic). I've been trying to find out about Gdynia, and the easiest way to get to Gdansk without having to change money into zlotys! Would you happen to know if anyone on your cruise walked to the train station, paid with credit card, and took the commuter train to Gdansk?

For Ronne, am I correct in thinking that the drop point was near the tourist information center? That's what the port told me; just wanted to confirm, as I've rented a car near there (in the G8 gas station).

Also, someone else just reported a shuttle in Riga, although it appears to be pretty walkable from the port. Was that true? Seems odd.

This is off topic, but you are first person on Marina who has come back and reported in for Baltic Treasures, so I have to ask: In Copenhagen, when did they do the lifeboat drill? We don't leave until 10pm so I'd like to go back off the ship for a while, but am guessing I need to be back by 5 or 6. Also, did you dock at Langelinie or Freeport? (I realize dock locations can and do change; but still wondering.)

Thanks again, very helpful!

Edited by roothy123

I know most passengers probably will arrange their own tours or take the ship excursion in St. Petersburg. But does O provide free shuttles for passengers that have their own Russian visa?

When I asked O about this, I got a very negative response - presumably because they are protecting their own overpriced shore excursion business. They said you'd need to walk "at least two miles" from the ship through the port to the nearest place you could get a taxi or bus.

I don't think it would be quite so much, but Google Maps suggests 2100 metres from the ship to Primorskaya, the nearest metro station at the end of line 3 so even if you have a Russian visa it might be best to order a taxi or guide to meet you at the cruise terminal. There's a sizeable car park there.

Gdansk - we walked to the train station in Gdynia. The shuttle bus dropped us off at Zeromskiego str. / Kosciuszki Square in Gdynia. Got a bit off track but a man showed us the way. We bought tickets from the ticket agent in the train station. I will try to scan a map for you and post it. Remember you are going from Gdynia Glowna to Gdansk Glowny. Lots of other stations with similar names!

Ronne, Bornholm - the port shuttle dropped us on Snellemark between Tornegade and Storegade. Doesn't look too far from the tourist info office.

On our ship, the tourist info people from each port of call were on hand to answer questions and hand out more info brochures and maps.

About the muster drill - we had it at 530 pm, well before our departure time from Copenhagen.

When I asked O about this, I got a very negative response - presumably because they are protecting their own overpriced shore excursion business. They said you'd need to walk "at least two miles" from the ship through the port to the nearest place you could get a taxi or bus.

I don't think it would be quite so much, but Google Maps suggests 2100 metres from the ship to Primorskaya, the nearest metro station at the end of line 3 so even if you have a Russian visa it might be best to order a taxi or guide to meet you at the cruise terminal. There's a sizeable car park there.

We had a private tour organized and our tour ticket was scrutinized but all is well. However we did hear from one couple who had a visa and wanted to visit independently. They were given a hard time and didn't bother going ashore on the second day. They were older and perhaps more easily rattled but just a cautionary tale. Sorry, can't really comment on distance to public transit since we got picked up on the other side of security.

Roothy, about Ronne, Bornholm, Denmark shuttle - my husband reminds me that there were two shuttle stops and one choice was the tourist office. We went to the second because we had picked up the bus timetable from the onboard local tourist rep and we wanted to get the local bus.

Gdansk - we walked to the train station in Gdynia. The shuttle bus dropped us off at Zeromskiego str. / Kosciuszki Square in Gdynia. Got a bit off track but a man showed us the way. We bought tickets from the ticket agent in the train station. I will try to scan a map for you and post it. Remember you are going from Gdynia Glowna to Gdansk Glowny. Lots of other stations with similar names!

About the muster drill - we had it at 530 pm, well before our departure time from Copenhagen.

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for! If you can post the map; great; if not's that's ok, as I was about to print a map of Gdynia near the port. I know where the ship docks, and where the old rigger ship is located, so I figured you were dropped off near there - but really appreciate the specific info! By the way, Google Maps (not Google Earth, my favorite way to see street view photographs) now has a little orange (yellow?) man that you can drag onto a map to get a street view. I'm finding that it's helpful in checking out an area before I go and will help me in navigating, which is not easy for me. (Yesterday the two of us "walked" all the way down 10 Lutego street to the train station!) At the Gdynia station, did you have to pay in PLN (zlotys) for the train tickets or could you use a credit card or something else? I hear there are money exchange offices on 10 Lutego, and may exchange a small amount of money as there is a big fair in Gdansk when we're there which might require zlotys.

Thanks again.

Yes, I hear independent pax in St. Petersburg get a lot of flak from the cruise lines (and not just Oceania - some get notices after booking that imply they need visas for organized tours like SPB, Denrus, Alla, etc. - very sneaky!)

Ziner, I might have a couple more questions about the CPH to Stockholm cruise (port/location related, not the ship). It's hard to find very independent travelers who have been on the same cruise I'm taking, at least Oceania ones! Do you mind emailing me at howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com if you don't mind me asking you a few more questions (for example, when were you allowed off ship in Warnemuende?)

Ruth

Edited by roothy123

Do the shuttles run frequently as long as the ship is in port? We're travelling to Civitavecchia on our own to board Marina next April and wonder if we'll have to take a taxi from the train or can we walk to the gate and expect a shuttle to appear fairly quickly?

Here are a couple of videos that you might find handy -

An easy walk to the train station depending where you are docked, but there are shuttles. (Didn't use one when I went about 5 years ago.)

You might consider asking at the train station about a day pass (B.I.G. / BIRG ticket) that covers transportation to Rome and around Rome itself. Watch your time in Rome - takes quite a while to walk to the right platform in Termini. One couple missed the last possible train for the ship!

http://www.b-b.rm.it/accommodations/transportation.htm

Neat site about what's at different subway stations:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs/654/107219/Rome+in+a+Day+for+Cruisers?destId=359906

Gdansk - we walked to the train station in Gdynia. The shuttle bus dropped us off at Zeromskiego str. / Kosciuszki Square in Gdynia. ]

Here's the map showing the shuttle drop off and the train station. Look for the SKM ticket booth in Gdynia Glowna station for Gdansk Glowny.

This is from July 2, 2012 Oceania Marina trip.

Gdynia shuttle.pdf

Edited by Tansy Mews

Here's the map showing the shuttle drop off and the train station. Look for the SKM ticket booth in Gdynia Glowna station for Gdansk Glowny.

This is from July 2, 2012 Oceania Marina trip.

[ATTACH]239724[/ATTACH]

Thank you!

The Bermuda ferries run on the same basis as the busses. You pay for them. Here is a link to the timetable:-

http://www.marineandports.bm/Img/Ferry/Summer%20Schedule%202012%20(Web).pdf

What makes for a great day in Bermuda is to take the ferry over to Hamilton and the South Shore bus back to the Dockyard. Very scenic! Not free though...

YoHoHo:

If I recall correctly, there was indeed a free shuttle in Limassol, Cyprus for last November's Sands of Time itinerary.

SLois

Your timing is perfect, SLois - we will be shutting down the PC soon in the last throws of preparing for a (too early) morning flight. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by YoHoHo

I have read most of the info posted on the free shuttles but still have some questions tat hopefully someone can answer.

Helsinki-shuttle takes you to end of Esplanade-is this far from Market Square?

Tallinn-shuttle to Main road? outside city hall-how far is this from the TI booth?

Riga-where does the shuttle take you? To Old Town or to city center close to Art Nouveau district?

Ronne-does the shuttle take you close to the Europcar rental office?

Would appreciate any feedback

I'm no expert, but have done lots of research, so hope this helps:

1. Esplanade Park is a great location close to Senate Square, Fish Market, ferries to Suomenlinna (spelling) fortress, etc.

2. Tallinn, I'm not sure but someone told me "near the park, near Estonia Pst and Parnu Mnt, just outside old town." I was planning to go on Google Maps or viamichelin and check it out.

3. Riga - maybe I missed it, but I didn't realize there was one. Is that part of the thread above? If so, I'll go back and read some more. I'm in a hurry now. Anyway, if you walk 10-15 minutes northeast you'll get to art nouveau area. If you walk 15 mins. down Eksporta and south, you'll get to Old Riga. Port is near Eksporta iela if you want to look it up on Google Maps or Google Earth. Art nouveau (best part) is on Alberta iela (street) and Elizabetes iela.

4. Ronne - shuttle takes you close to Europcar. I'm going there as well. There are 2 shuttle stops, though, the tourist info center and another one closer to the local bus stop for journeys to other cities on the island. Europcar is very close to the TI center and is located in the Q8 gas station.

Hi Roothy,

I see you have researched extensively-I'm trying to do the same. We will be on the AUG 1 sailing too. I hope we don't run into the same problem as Robert in Ronne as they docked on the opposite side of the island due to high winds. That would make getting to Europcar virtually impossible!

Hi Roothy,

I see you have researched extensively-I'm trying to do the same. We will be on the AUG 1 sailing too. I hope we don't run into the same problem as Robert in Ronne as they docked on the opposite side of the island due to high winds. That would make getting to Europcar virtually impossible!

Wow! I haven't seen that post yet. I'll have to search for it, so it can "unmake" my day. Do you remember where they docked (or tendered?) - Svaneke or Gudhjem perhaps? At least there is a bus system on Bornholm that hits the major cities at least hourly, so maybe I'll have to make a plan B. I'm glad Robert made it. Going around to the other side is better than nothing! I am really, really looking forward to Ronne and would hate to miss it. In 8 cruises, 7 on Oceania, we've only had to miss one port (Grand Turk - big long, unsheltered harbor, "misses" are not uncommon) because of weather, so I'm hoping the winds stay calm. Visby is apparently a little bit iffy, too, I hear.

Edited by roothy123

Anyone have any shuttle experience in the Western Caribbean? Belize, Costa Maya etc etc??

In Belize, you tender, and the tender drops you right at the terminal. There are a few shops there and what not, or you can walk around - though some people didn't find Belize City too nice. Many people take excursions there.

If I remember Costa Maya correctly, there was a little train thingy that came to your ship and took you to the terminal area. There was a kind of nice little fake beach and pool area with a couple bars/shops/restaurants and a small "swim with the dolphins" pool. If you walked, however, it really wasn't very far. From the little tourist village you could walk out to where you could catch a cab or go to the small "Hard Rock Cafe" store (don't think it was an actual restaurant).

In Roatan, there are no shuttles, and where the ship docked (at least for Marina in Feb.- there are two docking locations) there wasn't much around there other than some shops plus a beach area. If you want to go to one of the towns on the island, it is best to pre-arrange a tour (and you'll have to walk 5-10 minutes to meet the rep) or take a ship's excursion.

Edited by roothy123

A year and a half ago in Costa Maya: Walked off the ship and along the pier. At the end of the pier there was a sort of meandering mall, with many little shops and some places to eat, and the beach/pool area roothy mentions. It was pleasant enough, but pretty commercialized and pricey.

We had a much better day at a beach area that is about 10 minutes away by cab. To do this, continue to walk right out through the mall, and at the end you will find taxis. For about $10, we took a cab to a very nice beach area where numerous small entrepreneurs have set up tables & chairs and little canteenas. We picked one at random (I'm sure they're all much the same). No charge for the chairs, but you are expected to order drinks (excellent margaritas and buckets of bottled beer in ice) very reasonably priced. We also ordered a plate of guacamole and salsa with chips (inexpensive, delicious and we didn't get sick later). Daughter got an excellent massage on the beach for $20.00. You can arrange with other entrepreneurs there for activities on the water (sea-doos and so on). The toilet was rudimentary but scrupulously clean. Taxis were easily available to take us back to the ship when we were ready to leave. A very pleasant inexpensive day.

Edited by wassup4565

A year and a half ago in Costa Maya: Walked off the ship and along the pier. At the end of the pier there was a sort of meandering mall, with many little shops and some places to eat, and the beach/pool area roothy mentions. It was pleasant enough, but pretty commercialized and pricey.

We had a much better day at a beach area that is about 10 minutes away by cab. To do this, continue to walk right out through the mall, and at the end you will find taxis. For about $10, we took a cab to a very nice beach area where numerous small entrepreneurs have set up tables & chairs and little canteenas. We picked one at random (I'm sure they're all much the same). No charge for the chairs, but you are expected to order drinks (excellent margaritas and buckets of bottled beer in ice) very reasonably priced. We also ordered a plate of guacamole and salsa with chips (inexpensive, delicious and we didn't get sick later). Daughter got an excellent massage on the beach for $20.00. You can arrange with other entrepreneurs there for activities on the water (sea-doos and so on). The toilet was rudimentary but scrupulously clean. Taxis were easily available to take us back to the ship when we were ready to leave. A very pleasant inexpensive day.

I'm glad you posted info for this, because I also went to Mahahual (spelling?) and it turned out to be one of my favorite days! It seemed so genuine and non-touristy, and fairly deserted the day I was there. I went in the afternoon, after taking an excursion to a Mayan ruin in the morning. I took a cab (still less than $10 this past Feb.) from the "meandering mall" (that was almost deserted when I walked past - not many stores in there, I don't think!). I walked down the boardwalk, and some shop/restaurant folks called out to "eat here" but nobody pressured me into visiting their stores/restaurants and it was a nice, quiet, relaxing day. I asked someone if there was an internet cafe (wanted to check in with our pet/house sitters) and someone pointed me to where one was (in a small restaurant off the boardwalk). Somewhere on the internet there's a brochure on the town if you want to find out about that in advance - I hadn't! Then I walked up to the lighthouse (not far) and caught a cab back from there. It was a great experience - and very easy, inexpensive and safe. I think you can snorkel and maybe scuba just south of there, but I didn't look into that. I just soaked up the atmosphere, which was quite nice.

Edited by roothy123

Roothy, well there you go then, I didn't even know that spot had a name, although it seemed it was a community. As you say, there seemed to be very little pressure from the canteena owners, and they were very helpful and pleasant - not pushy. The guac and salsa were a highlight for us - they tasted like somebody's Mama had just whipped them up in the kitchen. Lunch for two for about six dollars.