Hurricane question

carhopsrock

I've never heard of a voyage being completely cancelled due to weather. It would have to be pretty extreme weather!! Normally, they'll just re-route like what is happening right now with the Miracle and Victory. In that case, you don't usually get much compensation since its not Carnival's fault and they have the right to alter the route for any reason.

So just hope for the best, go with the flow, and realize sometimes its outta your control!

Very rare to completely cancel unless it is heading directly for the port you are departing from then more than likely just shortened and a partial refund. They would have to move the ship out out to sea to get it out of the path of the storm.

Whe a hurricane struck Galveston. Departures from there were cancelled, the ships went into New Orleans....

But if you can get to the port and the ship gets in, it will sail...A ship is far safer at sea than in port during a major storm.

I just cruise for the live of being on a ship. Dont care where we go. I understand the contract and I am sure anything the Captain does is for our safety. We sail in 19 days, so I am not even gonna worry yet. No telling what the weather could be like between now and then. I have never heard of a cruise beling canceled completely so was just wondering if it had ever happened...

Whe a hurricane struck Galveston. Departures from there were cancelled, the ships went into New Orleans....

But if you can get to the port and the ship gets in, it will sail...A ship is far safer at sea than in port during a major storm.

I was on conquest when we went to new Orleans on Monday, one day late, and we had already had to go thru customs on monday and later monday night they announced the decision they could go to Houston and I think that took like 3 days. I was actually home by then and read the decision on cruise critic. .. boy was I surprised.

impossible not to cancel the next cruise.

Its rare, usually its a short cruise that cant be tweaked, so it gets axed

some examples

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1165

Below the 2 in bold had to be cancelled back in 2004

Carnival

(Sept. 7, 3 p.m.) The problems at Port Canaveral continue to plague Carnival Cruise Lines. The company announced today that Fantasy, scheduled to depart from that port on Thursday, September 9, will instead leave embark in Miami. Complimentary motorcoach transportation will be provided from Orlando/Port Canaveral. The ship will return to Port Canaveral on Sunday, September 12.

Carnival Glory, also homeported at Port Canaveral, will depart on a modified four night (from its regular seven night) cruise from Miami. It, too, will return to Port Canaveral; in Glory’s case it will arrive on Saturday, September 11.

Here’s an important caveat: For guests who booked air on their own and elect to sail on the modified itinerary for either of the above voyages, Carnival will provide up to $100 per person in reimbursement for costs incurred as a result of necessary flight changes. Guests will be required to provide proper documentation. Guests who elect to cancel their voyage and booked air on their own, will not be provided reimbursement of airfare-related costs.

Previously, Carnival released information on Tampa-based cruises.

Carnival Sensation, which had been switched to a three night voyage departing on Monday, September 6, has now been canceled. Passengers can opt for a full refund or credit toward future booking.

Inspiration, whose seven night Sunday, September 5 departure had already been "downgraded" to a six night cruise, has lost another day. The ship will now depart Tuesday, September 7 on a five night trip; port stops are Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Those folks who sail will get a 30 percent refund of their fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise. Those who don’t get their money back (or credit for a future trip).

Carnival Triumph, which sails out of Miami, has had its Saturday, September 4 seven-night Western Caribbean cruise shortened to a five-night voyage in the same region. The ship will now leave on Monday, September 6 and calls include Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Guests who sail will receive a 30 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of up to seven days in length valid for departures through Dec ember 15, 2005. Thos e who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

Minimally affected is Carnival Paradise, which was set to embark from Miami on a 15-night Panama Canal Cruise on Sunday, September 5. The ship instead will leave -- still from Miami -- on Monday, September 6 for what is now a 14-night trip. The only itinerary adjustment? Paradise will skip its scheduled call to Aruba. Guests will receive a $200 per person shipboard credit. Those who wish to cancel may choose between a future cruise credit or a full refund.

For guests who booked air on their own and elect to sail on the modified itinerary for any of the above voyages, Carnival will provide up to $100 per person in reimbursement for costs incurred as a result of necessary flight changes. Guests will be required to provide proper documentation. Guests who elect to cancel their voyage and booked air on their own, will not be provided reimbursement of airfare-related costs.

Fascination's three-night Miami-based cruise, to depart on Friday, September 3, has been cancelled. Carnival is offering full refunds or future cruise credits. Passengers currently on Fascination will stay onboard -- and wait out the storm in the Florida Straits.

Its rare, usually its a short cruise that cant be tweaked.

Actually if its out of florida it can be tweaked a lot easier than anything out of the gulf... I know few out of the gulf are tweaked as you put it ...other than just plain missing the ports.

We missed two ports last sept on conquest. I did a ecstasy cruise to nowhere just last summer over july 4th.

anyone who thinks its that common to just tweak a cruise isnt going out of the gulf imo, though everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Guests who sail will receive a 30 percent refund of their cruise fare, a $100 per person shipboard credit, and a 50 percent discount off a future cruise of up to seven days in length.

Wow...thats pretty good compensation for loosing two days.

Archived