Christmas 2011 on SD II

frequent traveler

Our usual option for the night before the cruise - Marriott on points is not available this time and hotel prices are ridiculous for what I consider 2 stars at the best. So, how bad is the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort? I got the best rate for all the equivalent starred hotels - but that close to the airport, I'm a bit nervous . .. . my other somewhat reasonable choices Secret Harbour and Sugar Bay are significantly more expensive and for just one night before when the next morning is usually spent wandering the streets of Charlotte - Amalie . . .

Traveling with the whole family so the dictator that I am has to consider other factors than my own preferences this time.;)

FT

FT. Dont scream yet but we had to stay at the Holiday Inn near downtown. It actually exceeded our (low) expectations. Conveniently located for airport and town center for shopping. The suite was actually nice and the price was right. About like the Sheraton OSJ in SJU. Like you said, only one night and then SD:D

I'll have to agree with Jim on the Holiday Inn. We normally stay at the Marriott, but we had to stay there one night on return into St. Thomas and it was OK. Definitely would not stay longer. The location is the best thing. Closest location to where SD docks, yet you can walk to downtown Charlotte Amalie and close to the airport. Good luck with your hotel!

So, how bad is the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort? I got the best rate for all the equivalent starred hotels - but that close to the airport, I'm a bit nervous . .. . my other somewhat reasonable choices Secret Harbour ...) FT

FT, Vandrefalk I think has the correct name above. Maybe ask SD to pack you a lunch then just order bottled beer (or whatever) once you get to the beach. ;)

Back to this question: We've stayed at both the Best Western Emerald Beach (post cruise, one night, about 2 years ago) and at Secret Harbour (pre cruise, one night, about 4-5 years ago). Nothing fancy, but both had decent, clean rooms that were right on the beach (both locations have their own beach and restaurant).

Secret Harbour is quite a ways out by taxi and fairly isolated, so not close to Charlotte - Amalie shopping. It's OK if you're taking the ferry to St John's but otherwise I think it's a little far out.

Everything was pretty closed up by the time we checked into Best Western Emerald Beach but don't think that it was very far from the shops. Definitely closer than Secret Harbour.

Yes, the Holiday Inn is now the Windward Passage -- checked it out and its about the same price as the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort (only the Windward Passage doesn't have a beach - just shopping and proximity to lots of bars).

We've stayed at Secret Harbour before - had a problem with the air conditioning but got that resolved - had a really good meal and enjoyed the beach side bar and meeting some very nice local/fun residents. C Dreamer, I agree,- it was a bit further out, but no noise from airplanes. But price differential this time for 4 of us is much higher than at the Best Western. So I guess we will stick with our reservation there since there are no horror stories from anyone on this thread.

And it sounds like a lunch from SD should we ever actually make Anguilla will be the way to go. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

FT

...So I guess we will stick with our reservation there since there are no horror stories from anyone on this thread. FT

FT, I'm sure you already know this but just in case: there are 2 Best Westerns in St Thomas: the Best Western Carib Beach Resort, which is right next to the airport (and doesn't get very good reviews), and the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort, which is the one you've asked about and that one's still getting decent reviews on TA.

We had no airport noise issues at Emerald Beach and I'm a light sleeper - maybe it's because our room was in the opposite wing from the airport? Don't know. We just asked for a quiet upstairs ocean front room and that's what we ended up with.

Again, it's not the Ritz, but our room was clean and it is on the beach so you'll at least have that and a nice sunset view from their restaurant and bar.

Congrats on biting the bullet on the airfare FT!

Wish we were joining you on SD for Christmas but this year we will be in Florida for the holiday ... and we are driving since we are taking our furry daughter with us:p

I have read relatively good things about BW Emerald but I haven't stayed there in a very long time (like before I was married!).

Glad you found the iPad!

My DH, BIL & MIL stayed at the Emerald Bay for 1 night pre-cruise last October. It wasn't fancy but the rooms were clean, it was right on the beach and we had no problems with the airport noise. Food is so-so, we found that burgers at the bar were the best bet. I'd stay there again for a night pre or post cruise.

Just doing my daily check of the room prices at the Marriott (Frenchman's Reef) and today there was a 35% discount special for Elite members - so we are now booked at the Marriottt. A bit more than Best Western, but I do like the bars there.

FT

Sounds like a plan to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if pumpkin lobster bisque will be on the menu? I am making former Chef Jes' version - well, sort of - using butternut squash since I could buy it already cut up. I hate cutting up a pumpkin ot two to make the soup. And I substitute something healthy for the heavy cream in the recipe . . .ok the treadmill is calling me for our Christmas on SD :)

• 1 month later...
In the middle of a week of all day business meetings, then heading to Chile for more business meetings but Artlee's postings have me counting down the days -- only 43 more until boarding for Christmas on SD. ZQ Vol had decided to pass on the car on ST. Bart's - $150 Euro's for one day:eek:

No he is still debating a jeep for the day.

Think about how crazy driving on St. Barts is during non-holiday periods. Can't imagine trying to drive on that island during Christmas season:eek:

Maybe he should re visit my review in 2007 of the POS car incident in St. Barts.:eek::D

Just discovered that we will be sharing our first day at St. Barth's with Hal Maasdam. In addition to the other holiday crowds that is an additional 1500 people. Yuck. Looks like December 27th will be a water toys day!

Just discovered that we will be sharing our first day at St. Barth's with Hal Maasdam. In addition to the other holiday crowds that is an additional 1500 people. Yuck. Looks like December 27th will be a water toys day!

Cancel that Jeep!! There could be worse ways to spend the day;)

Archived