To Kilt or not to Kilt? That is the Dress Code Question.

By all means, wear the kilt. We were on a HAL Scotland cruise last summer, and incredibly, there were only two of us attired in kilt and Prince Charlies. But we both had a lot more fun with it than we would have had in a plain tux or suit.

As to the extra weight, unquestionably, the kilt itself adds a lot. But, you save a little weight by not having to pack as many undershorts! A lady did ask me if anything was worn underneath the kilt. I assured her that nothing was worn beneath the kilt -- everything was in fine working order.

Have fun with it!

Thank Axel Rose... Ever since they started piping in 'Guns 'N Roses' these Princesses go ape over kilts. You'd think Mary Queen of Scots was there mum!

But if he's into stone throwing or caber tossing, I suggest he leave that stuff home!:D

And when the ladies ask me what, may we ask, is under the Kilt=I PROUDLEY RESPOND THE FUTURE OF SCOTLAND!!:p

A similar question which is sometimes heard from the ladies is "What is worn under the kilt?" A confident Scot will frequently reply, "Nothing is worn under the kilt. Everything is in perfect working order."

We're to become first time Princess Cruisers on a 27 day Baltic/TransAtlantic cruise next fall.

On one longer HAL cruise Bob brought along his kilt for formal nights and while the only one in a kilt on that cruise, he was not out of place among the tux and dress suit crowd. Mind you it cost in over weight sur charges but was a fun splurge as he no longer has many opportunities to wear it when at home.

As I read things, Princess is a bit less formal than HAL or Celebrity, but more so than NCL, our other cruise experiences. Correct?

Would my peacock look out of place on a Princess formal night? I assume he'd have about 6 opportunities to wear it on a 27 day cruise.

We're steerage passengers but do enjoy formal nights.

And unless I missed something on the Princess site, I do not see prices for Specialty Restaurants.

I'll try to make good use of the search tool for the many questions I'll have.

Thanks Prince and Princesses,

Ruth

Kilt up !!!! Suit up the other nights. you know it makes sense and hey a great conversation starter...i.e what Tartan is that etc.... Do u Scotsmen really go commando etc...lol being a Scot I never tell.

Wore it as a Pax and as a crew member once a CD barred me from wearing it as it took the spotlight away from his attire ( white tux) so I was told by the DCD.

Kilt up !!!! Suit up the other nights. you know it makes sense and hey a great conversation starter...i.e what Tartan is that etc.... Do u Scotsmen really go commando etc...lol being a Scot I never tell.

I agree, wear the kilt.

On a recent Alaska cruise on the Golden there was one who wore a kilt, but that was about it. A very nice formal look, too. As nice as any tux. I opted for a white tux, kind of a James Bond look, and was in a distinct minority, not just in terms of white tuxes, but also in terms of those that wore tuxes. I think the general impression I've read over and over is true, on port intensive cruises, such as Alaska, lots of guys just opt to do formal nights in business suites rather than tuxes. Suites are easier to pack and carry on board, and on top of that most of those guys had it in their closet either because of their job or because they need it for weddings, funerals, etc.

tell you partener to take his kilt my brother-in -law is taking his in oct on out med cruise on the grand.dont worry about the down dressers they,ll be the ones feeling odd.

and princess passengers are never steerage were all at home and enjoying the cruise line we love

Archived